Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2016, 12:10 PM

5,718 posts, read 7,261,268 times

Advertisements

I want a steam-powered computer.

Not just a steam engine driving an electric generator, but an actual steam-powered computer, with all of the microprocessors replaced by a network of little brass valves, connected to each other by copper tubing brazed in place by British guys named Colin, Derek, and Clive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2016, 06:56 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,705,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harhar View Post
being a guy, if i thought i was "too busty," i might have to go get that sort of thing checked out... :d
lmao!

Old 02-24-2016, 05:23 AM

21,882 posts, read 25,154,836 times
1D10T can be traced back to the root cause of most computer problems.

Old 02-24-2016, 07:56 AM

1,333 posts, read 883,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
No! No! No!

Bad advice!

AV needs to update when it wants to. Tell someone what you just told them and they won't update for how long? And how many new viruses, etc will be released in that time span?

As Bill says, "Ack! Ack!"
To me, this sort of seems like you're expecting way too much out of your antivirus software. What you should really be freaked out about is not allowing Windows to update or having old versions of flash. Updating your software is preventative action. It limits the total surface to exposed vulnerabilities. Your antivirus is largely reactive. It waits for malware to land on your system then attempts to stop it.

Old 02-24-2016, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyl3r View Post
To me, this sort of seems like you're expecting way too much out of your antivirus software. What you should really be freaked out about is not allowing Windows to update or having old versions of flash. Updating your software is preventative action. It limits the total surface to exposed vulnerabilities. Your antivirus is largely reactive. It waits for malware to land on your system then attempts to stop it.
While my post was specific to AV that was because of the response being directed at a specific post earlier in the thread. I allow all my critical software (AV, anti-malware, etc) to update automatically. I no longer allow Win 7 to do so because of the Win 10 crap.

And I do not expect too much out of my AV software. However, someone would if they didn't make sure it was updated any time it wanted to.

Antivirus is reactive, but it is only as efficient as the latest definitions. If you don't update it, either automatically or manually, you are exposing yourself to unnecessary risk. If your definitions are two days older than the virus that just downloaded, and the definition file for that virus would have downloaded automatically last night, then the infection is your fault, not the AV software.

To believe otherwise is naive.

Old 02-24-2016, 11:50 PM

34 posts, read 44,069 times
The ignorance makes my head hurt!

Seriously, while I may be 29 I can still remember the good ol days of computers and computers are a million times easier than back in the day.

While I know it's easy for people to say I am young and grew up with it how the heck are computers more difficult today than before? Even I can clearly remember back in the day before even Windows 95 came out you had to go into a DOS prompt and type very specific things to install a program or run one. Everything was far more complicated to do, the GUI (Graphical User Interface) was a very new thing and even then it was severely limited.

You want to talk about something wrong with computer's, did everyone conveniently forget Windows 95 and its infamous BSOD (Blue screen of death) you'd get every hour or so, perhaps longer if you're lucky?

Now everything is mostly all just click, click and you're done.

Here's a fact: 90% of computer problems are user error. If you need help with ANYTHING it is just a google search away. I buy parts for computers and build them and run windows and haven't had a virus in years! I can't even remember the last time I got a virus, and I don't use any special anti-virus protection past Microsoft Securities Essentials. Also, don't use Internet Explorer, use either Firefox or Google Chrome (my preferred browser) and get some ad-ons, I'd HIGHLY recommend adblock plus, which does as it says blocks ads and even gets rid of the YT ads. I find it unreal so many people don't think to just google "How to block ads".

Honestly, your biggest issues isn't virus' but adware/malware. Get malwarebytes, make sure it's updated and just do a scan once a week. Also, keep your windows updates updated! I help friends/relatives with computer issues and am always astonished that they so often have like 20 updates or more.

Really, if you get a newer PC there are only quite literally a handful of apps to get and make sure they are updated at least once a week and you should never have issues assuming you don't open up any strange emails or shady sites.

Yeah, yeah, I know some may say it's all simple for me, but as one that certainly does still remember the "dark ages" of computing things have never been easier and when things today can just be done with a few clicks as opposed to looking up and having to type in command prompts and such and if you did have issues you couldn't just do a quick internet search I don't understand how people find things today so complicated.

Old 02-25-2016, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnJonz View Post
I'd HIGHLY recommend adblock plus, which does as it says blocks ads and even gets rid of the YT ads. I find it unreal so many people don't think to just google "How to block ads".
Check out Ublock. It's been discovered that Adblock can be bought off and allow ads through from companies that pay them "ransom".

Old 02-26-2016, 08:16 AM

1,333 posts, read 883,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
While my post was specific to AV that was because of the response being directed at a specific post earlier in the thread. I allow all my critical software (AV, anti-malware, etc) to update automatically. I no longer allow Win 7 to do so because of the Win 10 crap.

And I do not expect too much out of my AV software. However, someone would if they didn't make sure it was updated any time it wanted to.

Antivirus is reactive, but it is only as efficient as the latest definitions. If you don't update it, either automatically or manually, you are exposing yourself to unnecessary risk. If your definitions are two days older than the virus that just downloaded, and the definition file for that virus would have downloaded automatically last night, then the infection is your fault, not the AV software.

To believe otherwise is naive.
My point is that if you're keeping your software up to date, you shouldn't be experiencing viruses downloading onto your computer almost ever. If you are keeping your software up to date, you more often than not won't be susceptible to the things your antivirus software is protecting you from.

ArsTechnica has an article here where they discuss what computer amateurs believe will keep them safe and what IT experts do to keep themselves safe. To save time for anyone interested here are the top 5 techniques that non experts use to protect themselves vs what IT experts use to protect themselves:

Non-Experts:
  1. Use Antivirus Software
  2. Use Strong Passwords
  3. Change Passwords Frequently
  4. Only Visit Websites They Know
  5. Don't Share Personal Information

Experts:
  1. Install Software Updates
  2. Use Unique Passwords
  3. Use Two-Factor Authentication
  4. Use Strong Passwords
  5. Use a Password Manager

To be fair, I think sometimes the steps for an IT expert are probably different than for an amateur because the amateur would be more likely to get themselves into situations that an IT expert would instinctively avoid. Also, the article brings up the point that security experts may be more likely to use non-Windows based OSes as an explanation for the lack of emphasis on AV software.

Old 02-26-2016, 01:31 PM

21,882 posts, read 25,154,836 times
I think the more interesting thing would be what do they actually do versus what do they say they do. Everyone knows that guy who gets "viruses" (usually just basic malware) within about five seconds of turning on a computer even though all he does is check email and shop on Amazon. It's really more basic than keep your software updated. Mostly what I see isn't so much actual viruses. It's the malware people install on computers... browser toolbars, hijackers, download managers

Old 02-26-2016, 02:23 PM

16,548 posts, read 19,703,819 times
As much as I respect Ars... I totally disagree with the first part...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyl3r View Post

Non-Experts:
  1. Use Antivirus Software
  2. Use Strong Passwords
  3. Change Passwords Frequently
  4. Only Visit Websites They Know
  5. Don't Share Personal Information
Particularly #2, #3 and #4. But most 'not tech savvy' folks I know do NOT use strong passwords. Usually "Kidsname+bday". They NEVER change passwords. Ever. And they often wind up on sites they don't normally go to "because it offered me a free screensaver!!!!".

Bad Ars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers