Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2016, 08:30 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,705,555 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
I haven't run anything except MS Security Essentials for Windows 7 in 15 years. Prior to Windows 7 I ran NO AV software. I use this thing called Common Sense. I've never gotten a virus. Yes, I realize most people cannot do this.If you are going to run AV you should damn well expect it to need to update often. It should. It has to. This is also just common sense. There are ways around this, too. Set it to manually update it and run updates when YOU want to.
No! No! No!

Bad advice!

AV needs to update when it wants to. Tell someone what you just told them and they won't update for how long? And how many new viruses, etc will be released in that time span?

As Bill says, "Ack! Ack!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2016, 08:59 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
No! No! No!

Bad advice!

AV needs to update when it wants to. Tell someone what you just told them and they won't update for how long? And how many new viruses, etc will be released in that time span?

Agreed.

For the most part, people should just leave things alone. Stuff gets broken when people who don't know what they're doing start switching off updates, "cleaning" their registry, and other nonsense.

Then they come here to complain about how it's Dell/HP/Asus/Microsoft's fault that their computer is a crashy, virus-infested piece of junk.

Old 02-21-2016, 09:15 PM

4,978 posts, read 5,769,366 times
1. Macbook Pro.

2. Google Chrome with Adblock Plus. (no more ads!)

3. Have updates run when scheduled.

Life is awesome!

And GET OFF MY LAWN!

My dad has a Windows 10 machine. He has no problems getting it to do things daily - videos, forums, emails, Word... (Oh, and he's 80...)

Old 02-21-2016, 10:34 PM

Your dad rocks!

Old 02-22-2016, 08:04 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,703,819 times
Quote:
No! No! No!

Bad advice!
I don't give bad advice here. You know that.

There is a setting just like there is in Windows, "Alert me when there are updates but allow me to decide when to install".
So you still get nagged and won't forget. If automatic updates REALLY drive you THAT out of your mind... it's sage advice.

Old 02-22-2016, 07:36 PM

How many non-techie users do you think would understand that from your first post? My take on it was to only update when you thought about it. "Manual update" to me means it's completely up to the user.

And how many would see the notice, and think, "I'm too busty right now" and blow it off. Relying on an end user to update anything is asking for trouble. I've seen it so many times in my life as an IT guy that I don't recommend it, ever.

I have never figured out why people say that auto updates are intrusive. I've always had mine turned on for all my software (until W10 crap - now Windows doesn't auto update) and I never know when it's running.

Old 02-22-2016, 07:41 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,263,135 times
Quote:
No! No! No!

Bad advice!

I have mine set with automatic updating turned off. It prevents the little missles from win 10 from popping up. I don't have to go in and get rid of kb....33 this way. Before files to set up win 10 I hadn't done that but spend too much time removing their system viruses.

I run norton regularly and it gets rid of the junk.

If they'd quit pushing 10 it would be better but even better would be removing the data gathering software it contains so I might consider looking at it.

Old 02-22-2016, 08:16 PM

14,249 posts, read 14,740,927 times
I have a very solid computer (WIN 7) but I did look at WIN 10. The problem is my CPU onboard graphics card (older NVIDIA GeForce) is not compatible with WIN 10 as told to me by MS.

I am considering going for an external graphics card and updating to WIN 10.

Ideas and suggestions please.

Thanks.

Old 02-23-2016, 07:40 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,703,819 times
Quote:
How many non-techie users do you think would understand that from your first post? My take on it was to only update when you thought about it. "Manual update" to me means it's completely up to the user.
I am specifically talking to the OP. And I'm sorry, but if you're going to turn off updates, be an adult and remember to check for them. If you can't do that then don't turn them off. Shall I edit my original post? (Oh, wait, I forgot for some ridiculous reason you cannot edit your old posts...)

Quote:
I have never figured out why people say that auto updates are intrusive. I've always had mine turned on for all my software (until W10 crap - now Windows doesn't auto update) and I never know when it's running.
While I agree if you configure it yourself and don't leave the default settings. Otherwise:

Johngolf: A desktop?

Old 02-23-2016, 11:57 AM

3,004 posts, read 6,275,645 times
Quote:

And how many would see the notice, and think, "I'm too busty right now" and blow it off. Relying on an end user to update anything is asking for trouble. I've seen it so many times in my life as an IT guy that I don't recommend it, ever.

Being a guy, if I thought I was "too busty," I might have to go get that sort of thing checked out...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers