Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2016, 12:00 PM

186 posts, read 128,802 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sj08054 View Post
This is what OP wrote. OP already diagnosed that the drive in question is the problem. Looking for a way to fix it. The answer is that it may not be fixable if the drive is an older one.

What does it mean if some videos lag when played directly from the external hard drive? I deleted it and copied it again several times and the same thing happens but doesn't when played on the computer. I even made a copy from the external hard drive to the computer to see what happens and it plays fine. I even used another usb cord and the same thing happens. It always lags on the same parts. It's 4.54 TB total and I have 2.68 TB left. I transferred from the computer the same video to another external hard drive and it plays fine. How can I fix it on the other hard drive?
it's not that old, it came out last year I think. And I only found out until now when transferring.

Old 12-10-2016, 12:05 PM

4,187 posts, read 11,932,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerInstinct View Post
it's not that old, it came out last year I think. And I only found out until now when transferring.

What's the brand/model of the drive?

The computer you are using it on. What's the OS?

Old 12-10-2016, 12:09 PM

Quote:
What's the brand/model of the drive?

The computer you are using it on. What's the OS?
Seagate 5tb, Acer Windows 7, it always lags at the same place, like I said I already transferred it on another external drive (which is not even 1tb) and it plays fine

Okay, as I was just typing this I kept testing the video and for the 1st time it doesn't lag. I spent 30 mintues testing it and it was lagging, now for whatever reason it's not lagging. It was lagging at certain places only. I don't get it.

Old 12-10-2016, 06:00 PM

4,187 posts, read 11,932,100 times
Quote:
Seagate 5tb, Acer Windows 7, it always lags at the same place, like I said I already transferred it on another external drive (which is not even 1tb) and it plays fine

Okay, as I was just typing this I kept testing the video and for the 1st time it doesn't lag. I spent 30 mintues testing it and it was lagging, now for whatever reason it's not lagging. It was lagging at certain places only. I don't get it.

What does the policies tab look like on the 5TB Seagate Drive? Which settings are checked?

Old 12-11-2016, 12:04 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbear99 View Post
The loss is only true for lossy compression like jpg
Once you compress video it's all downhill.... (hey peregrine here comes those images again LOL)

Here is DV source file, those lights are moving very fast. Those split beams are actually the same beam 1/30 of second apart:

The AVI>3000CBR MPEG2 Lot's of macroblocking as expected. This is too low a bitrate for this video and codec but the intention here is to illustrate conversion losses albeit in an extreme case.

Here is what happens if you inject one conversion

DV>8000CBR MPEG2>3000CBR MPEG2

Quote:
However, there are no video formats that are not lossy.
I've been out of the loop for while but there is certainly lossless video. None are commonly used but an uncompressed AVI is like a bitmap image, it's like 60GB per hour(if I remember correctly) and that's only for 720*480. Instead of that you would use HuffyUV which is a lossless video codec that uses compression techniques similar to .tiff and .png. It can get you down to about 30GB.

Last edited by thecoalman; 12-11-2016 at 12:39 AM..

Old 12-11-2016, 12:18 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times
Quote:
how can I find out if my jpg files and other picture files are lossy compression or lossless formats?
Depends on the format, .jpg is lossy.

Just to reiterate copying them 1 million times has no affect on the image data. It's when you open with an editor and then save them.

Old 12-11-2016, 05:57 AM

Quote:
What does the policies tab look like on the 5TB Seagate Drive? Which settings are checked?
I will post it later when I use the drive again

Old 12-11-2016, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Once you compress video it's all downhill.... (hey peregrine here comes those images again LOL)

Here is DV source file, those lights are moving very fast. Those split beams are actually the same beam 1/30 of second apart:

The AVI>3000CBR MPEG2 Lot's of macroblocking as expected. This is too low a bitrate for this video and codec but the intention here is to illustrate conversion losses albeit in an extreme case.

Here is what happens if you inject one conversion

DV>8000CBR MPEG2>3000CBR MPEG2

I've been out of the loop for while but there is certainly lossless video. None are commonly used but an uncompressed AVI is like a bitmap image, it's like 60GB per hour(if I remember correctly) and that's only for 720*480. Instead of that you would use HuffyUV which is a lossless video codec that uses compression techniques similar to .tiff and .png. It can get you down to about 30GB.
only reason I had to convert was to be able to watch them on windows media player and I choose the same settings as the input, plus mpeg 1 and 2 on my video converter always produced a poorer quality and so did AVI, the format that looked like the original to me is WMV2 using movavi video converter. But the question is will any quality be lost when transferring videos and pictures from one external hard drive to another? I don't plan to compressed files and turn them into a rar or zip file or anything like that. Just many folders with the videos in them and pictures, that's it.

Old 12-11-2016, 11:52 AM

7,057 posts, read 9,082,573 times
Quote:
...But the question is will any quality be lost when transferring videos and pictures from one external hard drive to another?...
And the answer is...No, there will be no loss simply by transferring from one drive to another.

It's a bit by bit transfer, all data goes from one to the other. You can do it as many times as you want and there will be no change.

Old 12-11-2016, 12:42 PM

Quote:
can you give me directions how to check this, never done it before, thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers