Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2016, 01:08 AM

96 posts, read 227,422 times

Advertisements

Hi! I got a new laptop last week, an Acer Aspire E15 E5-575G-53VG, running Windows 10.

A couple of days ago, the screen brightness ramped up to the point where it's intolerable, even set at 0%. (Seeing how bright it is at zero, if it was set any higher the screen would probably shatter.)

Installing f.lux made little or no difference. I'm not kidding that using this laptop is like staring into the sun. I'm literally wearing dark glasses in order to use it at all, and even then, when looking at a page with a light background I have to peer at it between my fingers.

Googling for solutions turned up a suggestion to get privacy film, like for the windows in your house, and cut a piece to fit the screen. Also there are apps I could download that will supposedly reduce screen brightness. But it seems like on a brand new computer there ought to be a setting somewhere to fix this, without my having to install apps or window film.

All help gratefully appreciated! /

Last edited by wishiniwashere; 12-13-2016 at 01:19 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2016, 04:23 AM

7,057 posts, read 9,093,694 times
New machine, try RTFM.

Old 12-13-2016, 07:10 AM

16,557 posts, read 19,734,014 times
That's helpful, Zymer... Why even waste the 9 seconds to reply?
There's no way on the lowest setting that it is too bright. If it is and you actually are lowering the brightness, return it. Now, while you can.
I question whether it is really lowering. How are you adjusting brightness?

Old 12-13-2016, 07:11 AM

3,886 posts, read 3,513,172 times
did you reboot? What software have you installed?

Old 12-13-2016, 08:00 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,490,048 times
There is also software to control the brightness but if the manual control doesn't do it, return it ASAP before the warranty runs out.

Old 12-13-2016, 02:42 PM

3,886 posts, read 3,513,172 times
^ it is ALL software. Never saw a screen brightness dial, for example. It's a pretty basic function. Everything from not so smart phones to tablets to computers has software controlling the brightness.

There is one point of hardware failure that could lead to the problem, but it's not user fixable very easily - if the machine has adaptive brightness (most do) and the sensor failed...but how likely would this be? No more likely than a screen cable failure, which happens, (seen it myself) but not very much.

Old 12-13-2016, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
That's helpful, Zymer... Why even waste the 9 seconds to reply?
Because it's a perfectly reasonable question to ask- he just got the machine, with all the info, he can say "Ya, I read it, it says to do X,Y and Z and I tried that but it still isn't working" or "Oh, OK, there it was right there, I was pushing the wrong button", instead of us trying to play 'Pin The Tail On The Donkey' by remote control and all of us just guessing at what might be going on. If he tried what the book says, and it didn't work, we have a starting point to go from instead of just pulling stuff out the wazoo.

I've been working on computers, and troubleshooting electronics in general for *almost* 50 years, and I *like* helping people...but, criminy, there's got to be a little something to start with on the other end.

Or d'ya think it would be easier for us to all RTFM *for* him and tell him "Do this" and "Now do that" without having any clue as to whether he *has* enough knowledge to actually be able to follow the instructions we're giving him, correctly?

Old 12-13-2016, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbear99 View Post
^ it is ALL software. Never saw a screen brightness dial, for example. It's a pretty basic function.
Just about every laptop I have has one. On this one here it's Func F7 to dim and Func F8 to brighten. Func F6 locks it, and Func F5 puts it to sleep.

Old 12-13-2016, 03:22 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,490,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbear99 View Post
^ it is ALL software. Never saw a screen brightness dial, for example. It's a pretty basic function. Everything from not so smart phones to tablets to computers has software controlling the brightness.

There is one point of hardware failure that could lead to the problem, but it's not user fixable very easily - if the machine has adaptive brightness (most do) and the sensor failed...but how likely would this be? No more likely than a screen cable failure, which happens, (seen it myself) but not very much.
I looked up the model of the laptop just for grins.

<Fn> + > Brightness up
<Fn> + < Brightness down

Page 17 in this manual
https://static.bhphotovideo.com/lit_files/115419.pdf

Old 12-13-2016, 03:22 PM

3,639 posts, read 3,345,883 times
Return it while you can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers