Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How much have you spent on software on your primary personal use PC?
$0 to $50 6 27.27%
$51 to $100 3 13.64%
$101 to $250 3 13.64%
$250 to $500 2 9.09%
$501 to $1,000 1 4.55%
$1,000 to $2,000 2 9.09%
I don't want to add it up b/c I don't want to know 5 22.73%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2007, 07:08 PM

Location: Between a nook-a-ler reactor and a dump, North Cackalacky
283 posts, read 1,260,133 times

Advertisements

Solely on your current primary desktop/laptop platform, how much have you invested in software programs?

Just curious, but this might include:
  • Operating system
  • Word processing/Spreadsheet
  • Database (if not integrated w/ Office)
  • Graphics manipulation
  • video or audio editing
  • Contact management
  • Email or web programs
  • Security/antispyware/antivirus/firewall
  • Developer suites
  • Backup utilities
  • Anything else that comes to mind........

But don't include games!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2007, 05:23 AM

453 posts, read 2,102,045 times
i haven't spent much at all. i haven't done much to my computer since i was in college, and when you're in college you either use free software, trial versions, or MS student edition software.

on my laptop i use:
open office
MS office 07 (free)
oracle (free)
MS visual studio (not free but purchased for school at a discount)
AVG
Zonealarm
firefox browser (though i'm starting to consider going back to Opera)
for most of my utilities (such as perfect disk) i use trial software
and i use windows XP, which wasn't free

on my server/PC i use:
windows server 2003 trial version
xp pro (student edition)
firefox
open office
AVG
zonealarm
perfectdisk (trial version)
and WSS 2.0 (free as well)

as you can see, I'm rather cheap

Old 08-29-2007, 08:53 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,420,704 times
Havent bought an OS since 1998. I use Win2k Pro on my home box. I did spend about $70 on a vscan over the years and thats about it. I use OpenOffice.org which is free, UltraVNC which is a free program like GoToMyPC, I dont use backup utilities, as its easy to just update myself. Anything I have to pay for I get for free on sourceforge (well sommet similar), gotta support the open source community

Old 08-29-2007, 11:37 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,106,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tee-tee View Post
Solely on your current primary desktop/laptop platform, how much have you invested in software programs?

• Operating system
  • Graphics manipulation
  • video or audio editing
  • Contact management
  • Email or web programs
  • Developer suites
  • Backup utilities

But don't include games!
Keeping in mind that my "main PC" was a top-of-the-line box when I bought it back in 1996, and that I still use software on it purchased in the late 80's and early 90's, I'd say perhaps $8000-9000 in combined hardware/software.

Around $5k was for the original hardware and 21" monitor. The rest of the cost is hardware upgrades (CD burner, new hard drives, etc.), and software cost, but that includes a LOT of software for DOS, Windows 3.x, Windows 95, and OS/2. I tend to pick up stuff these days on eBay for not much money (e.g., my copy of Photoshop 3.04 was $25 + S&H), but some of the stuff I have was quite expensive (WordPerfect 5 for DOS was over $400 just by itself, as was my copy of Star Office 3.0 for OS/2).

I use a LOT of open source software, also, on the same box.

Old 08-30-2007, 05:26 AM

Location: Between a nook-a-ler reactor and a dump, North Cackalacky
283 posts, read 1,260,133 times
The last time we bought a new computer - maybe 3-4 yrs ago? - I thought I'd buy some software and do things "right".

What a frickin' mistake: spend a lot of money to fix things that are inherently broken in MS's OS; get programs that have bugs; and get zero tech support from the vendor. I really wondered why anyone would willingly do that.

I immediately deleted all proprietary s/w except the OS and switched to F/OSS alternatives.

So I bought a used laptop and started with the Linux distros. I had Red Hat experience and training from my job. Tried OpenSuse, Fedora, MEPIS, Ubuntu. In fact for the first year I would switch distros every few months just to try new things.

Now, it's Ubuntu on our laptop with all free/open source software. It is a wonderful experience and I cannot imagine running MS. My wife, who is not a geek by any means, enjoys it as well and can do everything she needs w/o any instruction or help from me. Our Windows machine sits upstairs, rarely used - it is slated for a reformat & fresh install.

To be able to actually use the machine and enjoy the machine without worry - what a novel idea!

Old 08-31-2007, 09:22 PM

2,976 posts, read 13,381,820 times
Linux and Open Source SW is the way to go and we use this for home and business. However, we still have to use MS Windows for other aspects of our business which include over $50k+ in software such as Maya, all Adobe SW, etc. and MS SW.

Plus we do a lot of embedded development and training under Linux and Windows -- so, need to have the sw.

Old 02-24-2008, 03:41 PM

1 posts, read 1,411 times
I was studying Computer Software Engineering, since High School I love Video, Picture & Music edition, and not too long ago switched from Software Engineer to Business Administration. Well all those careers have software related to them... my inventory:

AutoDesk 2008
AutoCad 2008
CS3 Master Collection
2007 Microsoft Office Proffessional
Pinnacle Studio 11
Ulead 11
Power Director 6
DIVX (not worth much, but adds up)
Quicktime Pro

well... no need to mention all the little ones... those there ripped my pocket and left only pennies behind.

Old 03-01-2008, 03:30 AM

1,368 posts, read 6,507,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tee-tee View Post

• Operating system
  • Graphics manipulation
  • video or audio editing
  • Contact management
  • Email or web programs
  • Developer suites
  • Backup utilities
But don't include games!
I responded to the poll before reading the last line. I've spent maybe $150 on software for my home PCs.

Well, I use:
Windows XP Pro
Windows XP MCE
Occasionally I'll get masochistic enough to try Vista Premium again.
Office 2003 Pro
Office 2000 Pro
Office XP Pro
OpenOffice

However, I have friends/family at Microsoft, so those Evil Empire products are all free. I've also done playtesting. So, I have a copy of XP home and 3 copies of XP Pro and I'm only using 1 copy of XP Pro and the MCE came with the laptop.

I've also obtained copies of:
AutoCAD 2007
Alcohol 120
mIRC
Winamp Pro
and various other pieces of software.

Total value: $2000+ of software alone.

At work, well... I dont even want to think about those numbers. Video editting software for use with cameras attached to PCs is EXPENSIVE!

Oh, and games? If we add that in there, I'm sure the number is over $3000.

No, you can't have my copies of XP Pro. They will be used when I build a server and a HTPC.

Old 03-01-2008, 03:32 AM

1,368 posts, read 6,507,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazmanny View Post
I was studying Computer Software Engineering, since High School I love Video, Picture & Music edition, and not too long ago switched from Software Engineer to Business Administration. Well all those careers have software related to them... my inventory:

AutoDesk 2008
AutoCad 2008
CS3 Master Collection
2007 Microsoft Office Proffessional
Pinnacle Studio 11
Ulead 11
Power Director 6
DIVX (not worth much, but adds up)
Quicktime Pro

well... no need to mention all the little ones... those there ripped my pocket and left only pennies behind.
Ewww. I HATE Office 07.

Old 03-01-2008, 05:53 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,739,303 times
Let's see, three copies of XP, one is Pro. One Vista Ultimate.

In the past I've had multiple copies of OS's since DOS 1.x

Three copies of Office, two are 2003, one is older, all are Pro.

AutoCAD, QuickBooks, Quicken, Jaxc PSP, a ton I can't remember right now, and more games than a lot of stores.

We have every version of Tomb Raider and play them every winter, taking turns playing and directing. Been buying first-person shooters since Castle Wolfenstein (still have the 3 1/2" set for DOS)

A ton of other stuff in the PC closet,

Cost?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers