Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2017, 07:23 PM

5,110 posts, read 3,070,995 times

Advertisements

Basically I am in a screenwriting class, and in the class, our instructions are to write on a website, called writerduet, where the site is actually a program and we write scripts in there, so we can share with one another.

However, some people I share want to share the scripts with have a policy, where they do not like being given links to websites that are strangers to them. Basically they just don't trust links and attachments, and feel that by clicking on them, that it will be dangerous to their computers. So instead, they want me to copy and paste the screenplays to them, rather than to send a link or attachment of the script.

However, when I copy and paste the scripts, they loose format. Does anyone know how to preserve the original format? I tried googling it, but all google offers is how to keep formats preserved, when copying and pasting something out of programs such as microsoft word, and other word programs. However, I am wanting to copy and paste something from one website (writerduet), to someone else's email, and not loose the format. Does anyone know how to do that exactly?

Thanks for the input. I really appreciate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2017, 09:25 PM

23,601 posts, read 70,425,146 times
You can't fix stupid. Tell them about proxy sites and how to use them. Other than that, don't even bother.

Old 03-21-2017, 11:10 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,508,945 times
Have you tried printing it out to a PDF?

Old 03-22-2017, 12:24 AM

I tried making PDF files out of the script, but once I copy out of the pdf, and paste it back into the sites for others to critique, the format is lost again after.

Old 03-22-2017, 07:14 AM

2,743 posts, read 4,828,538 times
You run writerduet and write your scripts on the webpage. Right?
Then you copy it to your PCs clipboard, and paste it somewhere so that it can be sent to your friends.

Does writerduet create the formatting automatically?
What formatting are you trying to pass on? Italics, bold, colors all should transfer to email and then back out again without a problem.

How do you send it? Via email? Some email programs can only handle very limited format info. Especially if the email program is set to handle text, and not html format messages.

If it's special formatting custom used for scripts, strange and/or automatic paragraph numbering or more complicated formatting, you should try pasting it first into a blank Word docx, which has the capability of handling more complicated formats. Then send the docx to your friends, (after alerting them that a direct email from you to them, with an attachment, is OK for them to open).

Also, you say you can print out your scripts to PDF.
I assume that file has the proper formatting?

One last thing to try. And this assumes you're on a PC, not a Mac.
Try Control-C, and then for paste, use the Control-Insert key rather than the Control-V.
I've found a few programs will respond differently.

Old 03-22-2017, 09:10 AM

4,451 posts, read 6,801,295 times
Maybe you can write and format it in a Word Processor such as Word then copy and paste it into Writerduet.

Old 03-22-2017, 09:34 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,416,576 times
That's because in the website, the format comes from a stylesheet that is coded in the background.

All you are copying is text, so that is all that will come across in other media.

Why do you still need it formatted, anyway?

If they can't read it without the formatting, then that's on them.

Old 03-22-2017, 12:34 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,479,098 times
The issue is writerduet and/or the browser.

I'll give you an example. When I copy and paste text from a web page into a message here on CD and I use firefox, it retains the formatting. When I do it in chrome it does not, it comes across as plain unformatted text. Try a different browser or try pasting it in word, then copy again and paste in writerduet.

In Chrome/Firefox, Ctrl-V will paste formatted text, Ctrl+Shift+V will paste unformatted text BUT when I paste into a new message or reply in CD it will always paste unformatted. So it appears it's a function of both browser and website.

Most of us don't even know what Writerduet is, so you may be asking the wrong people. From what I've read on it, it has it's own formatting features and may not accept a formatted paste.

Read here or send email to link provided.
https://writerduet.com/blog/WriterDuetFAQ

Last edited by gguerra; 03-22-2017 at 01:01 PM..

Old 03-22-2017, 03:14 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,836,946 times
Use the Windows 10 Snipping Tool - It's designed to pull whatever you want from any website - or document without changing the format.

Old 03-22-2017, 06:50 PM

Okay thanks for the responses and input everyone .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_RDNC View Post
You run writerduet and write your scripts on the webpage. Right?
Then you copy it to your PCs clipboard, and paste it somewhere so that it can be sent to your friends.

Does writerduet create the formatting automatically?
What formatting are you trying to pass on? Italics, bold, colors all should transfer to email and then back out again without a problem.

How do you send it? Via email? Some email programs can only handle very limited format info. Especially if the email program is set to handle text, and not html format messages.

If it's special formatting custom used for scripts, strange and/or automatic paragraph numbering or more complicated formatting, you should try pasting it first into a blank Word docx, which has the capability of handling more complicated formats. Then send the docx to your friends, (after alerting them that a direct email from you to them, with an attachment, is OK for them to open).

Also, you say you can print out your scripts to PDF.
I assume that file has the proper formatting?

One last thing to try. And this assumes you're on a PC, not a Mac.
Try Control-C, and then for paste, use the Control-Insert key rather than the Control-V.
I've found a few programs will respond differently.

Writerduet can export a number of different formats. I have tried all of them now, but when I copy and paste out of all the types of exports, it looses format on each one. I have also tried copying and pasting out of writerduet directly, and it still looses formatting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelopez2 View Post
Maybe you can write and format it in a Word Processor such as Word then copy and paste it into Writerduet.
I can't do this cause writerduet, formats the scripts for you, as you type them. If you copy and paste an already written script into the site, the site will not format it properly in that case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
That's because in the website, the format comes from a stylesheet that is coded in the background.

All you are copying is text, so that is all that will come across in other media.

Why do you still need it formatted, anyway?

If they can't read it without the formatting, then that's on them.
Whether or not it's on them, I would still like my work to be critiqued to get better, and if people refuse to critique it, cause of the format being lost and therefore, poor to read, then I will not have my work critiqued, which I really could use though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers