Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2018, 07:21 PM

73 posts, read 137,811 times

Advertisements

If I have an icon on my desktop than has a filename that takes 2 or more lines, if I save another file to the desktop it will skip an icon space/block and essentially double space the icons wasting tonnes of desktop space. I've been playing with the icon size and vertical spacing setting for 2 days now. The only way to fix this is to shorten the file name down to 1 line. This started after a fresh install of windows 7. It used to be that a long file name would cover up and only show after clicking it to cover up the next icon. It seems here that the even though the long file name is hidden the next saved icon is still seeing the longer text taking up the icon block and skipping to the next available space. How can I get it so saving a new file dos not skip an icon block?

As per the picture if I were to save a file, since the 2 bottom files have 2 line names and AVG at the top is 2 lines the next file will save to the red box but if I renamed AVG to JUST AVG so it only takes up 1 line then it would save to the green box. How can I get the next save to always use the next available space, which in this case should be under NEW DRIVE UPGRADE where the yellow box is?? Again if I were to change the name to just NEW DRIVE the the next file would save to the yellow box where it's supposed to because its under a file that's only a 1 line name.

EDIT: However it should be noted that after the icons save to the wrong spot, I can drag and drop them to where I want including under a 2 line file name and they will stay there even after reboot. The problem only exists while *saving* new files.
Attached Thumbnails
2 line+ Windows 7 desktop icons skipping space and not saving to NEXT AVAILABLE space-capture.jpg  

Last edited by AllTheGoodNames.AreTaken; 03-30-2018 at 07:46 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2018, 01:43 PM

73 posts, read 137,811 times
Still looking for solution. Windows icon verticle and horizontal spacing setting does not do anything
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers