Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2019, 12:35 PM

2,026 posts, read 2,777,866 times

Advertisements

Has anyone tried to install more than the "officially supported" memory size in a laptop?
For example all the recent low end Pentium and Celeron Nxxx (eg N5000) processors documentation states that they support up to total 8GB system memory size, with one or 2 dimms. If they can support one 8GB dimm, and have 2 slots, then the chip physical pinout must support both slots populated with 8GB, making it 16GB.
I am thinking that this is just a marketing catch, to make consumers buy 3x more expensive products for wanting to have 16GB.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2019, 02:04 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,479,098 times
This "supported" memory in the case you describe as in the type of memory is dictated by the system BIOS & manufacturer, not the CPU. I doubt it is a marketing gimmick. The amount of memory supported is hard coded or in other words, Intel intentionally set the limit at 8gb. Why? I'm sure they have their reasons and they are probably technical.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/comput...sors-launched/

Last edited by gguerra; 02-11-2019 at 02:15 PM..

Old 02-11-2019, 02:26 PM

The intel CPU website as well as the public datasheet mentions the limitation.
I used to design motherboards for industrial and aerospace with intel CPU, years ago, the only limitations we had were related to the memory chip density (Gbit/chip), the limitations were not dependent on what is connected to the other memory channel. The 2 channels were supposed to be fully independent.

Old 02-11-2019, 04:11 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,252,791 times
I have an example. Apple Mac Pro 2013 (the trash can format).

Apple specified a supported maximum of 64GB RAM but it was discovered that 128GB would work. I’m pretty sure that’s not the only Apple example.

In the case of Apple I have to believe it’s 50% marketing and 50% memory availability at launch.

Old 02-12-2019, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
In the case of Apple I have to believe it’s 50% marketing and 50% memory availability at launch.
In the case of Apple, I think it's usually 90% marketing (or more) and the rest, everything else. That applies to everything, not just CPU's and memory. A good example of this would be the elimination of the headphone jack on their newer phones or the fact they designed their "own" charging cable, the lightning. They could have gone with the standard micro-usb or newer USB-C, but no, you will never see them doing anything like that. That is called "greed", plain and simple. I can't really fault them, after all, it's about making money and they do but the consumer matters less to them than most other companies.

Old 02-13-2019, 01:32 AM

8,299 posts, read 3,813,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
In the case of Apple, I think it's usually 90% marketing (or more) and the rest, everything else. That applies to everything, not just CPU's and memory. A good example of this would be the elimination of the headphone jack on their newer phones or the fact they designed their "own" charging cable, the lightning. They could have gone with the standard micro-usb or newer USB-C, but no, you will never see them doing anything like that. That is called "greed", plain and simple. I can't really fault them, after all, it's about making money and they do but the consumer matters less to them than most other companies.
Apple isn't the only brand to remove the headphone jack... and it wasn't to save money. In fact, manufacturing an extra piece to bundle with the phone for headphone compatibility costs more than just including a headphone jack. Apple removed the headphone jack to maintain space for the battery while making the phone slimmer. Not sure where you're getting your info from, but you should find a new source.

Also, I can tell you don't follow technology too much as you don't know that USB-C was not introduced until 2014. The lightning connector was introduced in 2012. Unfortunately, micro-usb 3.0 plug was too wide for phones and was never adopted on any phone. Apple wanted the USB 3.0 speeds, so they had to create a new port.

Old 02-13-2019, 07:41 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,703,819 times
Usually I like your posts but this one disappoints me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasLawyer2000 View Post
Apple isn't the only brand to remove the headphone jack... and it wasn't to save money.
You're right. It was to MAKE money.
$160... for wireless headphones: https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MMEF2AM/A/airpods
Quote:

Apple removed the headphone jack to maintain space for the battery while making the phone slimmer. Not sure where you're getting your info from, but you should find a new source.
Who asked for thinner phones? Is the iPhone 6 or LG v30 TOO THICK? Not one person has ever complained that either of those phones are too thick.

Fact is, it simply isn't true.

The iPhone 6 with a headphone jack is 131.1mm x 67 x 6.9
The iPhone 8 sans jack is 138.4mm x 67.3 x 7.3
It's taller. It's wider. It's thicker.
The battery is 11 mAh larger. 11.
1,810 vs 1,821

LG V30 7.39 mm thick. Has headphone jack.
LG V40 7.6 mm. No head phone jack.
Same size battery in both.

So obviously it wasn't done for thinner phones or bigger batteries. They made have said that. But then they just made bigger phones with little batteries.

Old 02-13-2019, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
You're right. It was to MAKE money.
Took the words right out of my mouth. Apple may give all kinds of excuses but MAKING money is the reason they do these types of things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasLawyer2000 View Post
Also, I can tell you don't follow technology too much as you don't know that USB-C was not introduced until 2014. The lightning connector was introduced in 2012. Unfortunately, micro-usb 3.0 plug was too wide for phones and was never adopted on any phone. Apple wanted the USB 3.0 speeds, so they had to create a new port.
Sorry, you missed my point. Apple NEVER does anything according to industry standards, they make their own and for one reason only, to MAKE more money. It's that simple. Am I repeating myself here? So whether the usb-c or micro usb was introduced in whatever year is beside the point.

This practice goes back to the beginning of Apple. I could go on and on. iTunes anybody?

Micro USB too wide? I wasn't even speaking of 3.0, just micro-usb and that is NOT too wide, it's tiny. Nonsense.

Old 02-16-2019, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Who asked for thinner phones? Is the iPhone 6 or LG v30 TOO THICK? Not one person has ever complained that either of those phones are too thick.
Actually phone makers dont give a st about battery size, they enjoy having to charge their new fancy iphones in front of strangers, friends and frenemies. Even in these phones, inside there is a lot of empty space, that is not filled with battery, as they dont care about battery. I would take a 10mm phone with 3x battery, but that is not what the executives in the boardroom care about, so they dont make such products. The execs at apple and samsung are at war, and the battlefield is the phone thickness. When these execs were younger and they were already execs, phone thickness was relevant, as we were in the 22mm thickness range. The world changed since and these people missed it. You can buy an Asus or BLU phone with 5000mAh battery and about 9mm thickness. Or buy Oukitel from China with up to 11000mAh but that does not work in the US LTE.

And... this has nothing to do with my original topic about memory support by intel CPUs.

Old 02-16-2019, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buenos View Post
And... this has nothing to do with my original topic about memory support by intel CPUs.
That happens a lot, it's inevitable. Did you get your original question answered?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers