Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2019, 05:31 PM

61,741 posts, read 87,172,581 times

Advertisements

UGH... Windows10 FORCED automatic update few days ago, regardless of the fact that I stopped it for 250 days waiting for bug fixes.
Just noticed all that yesterday because my mouse stopped working.
WTF!!! Spent few hours trying to fix it, followed all Microsoft advice and... nothing! It's a known problem, but I need the mouse to work! I hate touchpad! I am working on pictures, and can't do it with touchpad.

If any of you had the same problem on their Surface AND fixed it, please chime in.

Thank you!!!

(When I plug the device to the USB port - Surface recognize it. The mouse is listed as compatible hardware, troubleshooting didn't find any problems, drivers are all up to date, computer got all "the works"... what else? Is there maybe some new secret setting that I need to know? Disabling touchpad didn't help.
In my desperation, I even bought today new mouse. Changed batteries in both. The optical light blinks for a second and then the mouse plays dead. Cursor is not showing at all...
I used the old mouse with the Surface before without any problems. The Surface has only one USB port, but the port is not the problem. I am too tired to think, but maybe I am missing something here.
Please help..... )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2019, 09:40 PM

2,743 posts, read 4,829,401 times
I'm still hiding behind Windows 7 so the only suggestions I have are general:

Did you try your mouse on another device to confirm it still works?

If the problem is Win10 and that it is not talking with USB mice, the getting more USB mice probably won't help, but how about WiFi mice? (NOT a "wireless mouse" that then connects via a radio to it's own USB-dongle plugged in, but a mouse that uses an actual WiFi connection). They are more expensive than standard mice, but it might be worth a try.

And an even more 'messy' option, is to get a computer that does work with it's mouse, and connect it via network (wired or WiFi) to your reluctant computer with a remote-desktop-software utility. Then your primary computer's mouse would drive the software within the secondary computer. I use Ultra VNC to remote-desktop two PCs.

Old 07-19-2019, 10:05 PM

21,868 posts, read 25,161,984 times
Device Manager
> Mice

Should have at least a couple of HID-compliant mouse entries in there. Since it's not working anyway just delete them all and then plug your mouse back in.

Check USB controllers and see if there's anything throwing flags and try reinstalling drivers

One of those might work for you.

Old 07-19-2019, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_RDNC View Post
I'm still hiding behind Windows 7 so the only suggestions I have are general:

Did you try your mouse on another device to confirm it still works?

If the problem is Win10 and that it is not talking with USB mice, the getting more USB mice probably won't help, but how about WiFi mice? (NOT a "wireless mouse" that then connects via a radio to it's own USB-dongle plugged in, but a mouse that uses an actual WiFi connection). They are more expensive than standard mice, but it might be worth a try.

And an even more 'messy' option, is to get a computer that does work with it's mouse, and connect it via network (wired or WiFi) to your reluctant computer with a remote-desktop-software utility. Then your primary computer's mouse would drive the software within the secondary computer. I use Ultra VNC to remote-desktop two PCs.

I have at home desktop with Win7 and holding into it dearly. I turned off automatic updates a long time ago, but now I just experienced that's worth... nothing. Microsoft does what they want to do. And do it really badly. The Win10 is just a misery from the very beginning...

I don't know if the mice is working on other devices. I am on vacation, far away from home, and my other devices are Samsung tab and two phones, but the mouse was working before I left home with the Surface for months without a problem. I am pretty sure that the mouse still works fine. There must be another problem since a brand new mouse doesn't work either.
However, I just plugged a card reader and the USB plug is working fine.
It must be something the Microsoft screwed up again. Googled it and lots of people have that exact problem since 2017. People are complaining about selected issues that weren't addressed properly yet, after two years...

Old 07-20-2019, 11:59 AM

2,743 posts, read 4,829,401 times
Malloric has a good idea. One of the standard fix-it moves for a PC device that's not working well:

Control Panel // Device Manager
Look for little flags that indicate a problem.
If there are none, do the below anyway.
Find and click on Mice and other pointing devices
select Uninstall
NOTE: this does NOT delete the device driver files, it just tells the PC to forget which drivers had been selected for that device.
Close the dialogs, then disconnect and reconnect the USB mouse.

The PC should have a dialog box pop up, New Devices Found, search for drivers.
and hopefully, Drivers Found, installed and device is working properly.

What happens is that you tell the PC to forget which drivers to use, then disconnect and reconnect the device, so that the PC looks for the proper driver files and re-identifies these files as the ones to use for the device drivers.
Because the actual driver files are NOT deleted off the PC, this step is very common and almost always has no down-side. The only problem that might happen is if the device (your mouse) is truly broken and the PC can't identify it to select which driver to use. This is a pain, but still useful as this step is one way to diagnose a truly broken mouse.

Old 07-20-2019, 07:14 PM

4,195 posts, read 1,601,623 times
system restore

Old 07-20-2019, 07:43 PM

2,160 posts, read 3,595,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elvis44102 View Post
system restore
Overkill for this.

Old 07-20-2019, 07:46 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,514,642 times
Did you go to the update screen and tell it to look for more updates?

Updates have temporarily broken both my laptop keyboard and Bluetooth mouse in the past.

One time I gave up on all fixes (after wasting a few hours trying) and left the thing plugged in for a couple days and then it worked again.

Old 07-20-2019, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Device Manager
> Mice

Should have at least a couple of HID-compliant mouse entries in there. Since it's not working anyway just delete them all and then plug your mouse back in.

Check USB controllers and see if there's anything throwing flags and try reinstalling drivers

One of those might work for you.
I can do that! Will try it in the morning! Thanks!!

Old 07-20-2019, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvis44102 View Post
system restore
No way! I have there expensive software that I got from friends. Don't have serial numbers anymore. And its an overkill anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers