Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2019, 02:41 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,495,470 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRex2 View Post
I liked what you said here. Right up to the point where I stopped quoting you.

In later posts, it seemed to me that you degenerated almost to the point, or maybe even to the point, of ridiculing people who didn't want to go to Win 10.

I am one of those.
I was reading this thread an reminiscing about my old DOS/DesqView system.
Ran that until 2007. Everything in RAM. DOS runs fast on a 400MHz Pentium

I have a calendar. On my wall.
And a map that I fold.
I have a flip phone, but prefer my land line.
I have no electric windows or locks in my vehicles.
I miss having a clutch, but my wife can't drive a stick.
Yes, and I am actually married, not shacking up.
All of my data is on my LOCAL hard drives.
(I accidentally sent something to "Google Drive" a few days ago, and am still trying to fix that problem. I didn't even know I had an account there. Ugly. No wonder peoples "personal" photos wind up on the Net.)
Not everything new is better.
Has anyone heard the song "Automatic" ?

So, I will hang onto Win7 for a while longer,
and begin the migration to Linux.
Ridiculed? Really?

A bit sensitive?

Congratulations on all of your accomplishments. Why don't you drop electricity and running water too?

NOBODY cares if you have a flip phone or store all your data on local hard drives. If it makes you feel better, great. That's all that matters, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2019, 02:42 PM

31 posts, read 8,842 times
I already have Windows 10 installed in most of my computers, so I wouldn't really be worried about it.

Old 11-04-2019, 08:32 PM

3,655 posts, read 1,612,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
IMO, updates and patches are WAY overstated and I HATE that they force updates on you. I highly doubt that the patches and updates protect you from ransomware, one of the biggest threats nowadays. You still need some other kind of protection and even then, most AV software is useless at protecting against ransomware.

Win 10 is also spyware, by the way, it collects personal data on you and sends it back to MS. They don't even tell you what data they are collecting. It must be in the fine print somewhere but who takes the time to read. If anybody knows more about this I would appreciate if you let us know.

All that said, Windows 7 and 10 function well, there are differences in the interface but essentially it's still windows.

For most of us, we wouldn't even know about or use most of the bells and whistles in Windows 10. I mean just how much can you add to it and still make it useful? How many use Cortana for example? I disabled it immediately.

This.

I will not tolerate forced updates of any kind. The collecting of data is not transparent, and transparency is what I value the most in any product or service.

If my PC is working ok I'm not going to upgrade any part of it. I will take measures to protect it from malware and hardware failure. When I need upgraded software to do something I need, then I will upgrade. My XP PC still works and is smoking fast. It's the software companies that stop supporting it that made me upgrade. I'll use 7 until I have to upgrade because of software I need to run.

Old 11-05-2019, 06:56 AM

16,559 posts, read 19,748,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by james112 View Post
I will not tolerate forced updates of any kind.

I seriously just don't give a rats behind. Please update my computer. Even better do, it in the background so I don't even know it happened.
Yes, much of an update is for security. Security holes are found every damn day in Windows and Chrome and Firefox, yes even in MacOS (although probably not daily in MacOS).
Have you heard of BlueKeep? Probably not. Keep your head in the sand...
Great thread to bring it up in though for those that may not have heard.

https://www.cbronline.com/news/bluekeep-malware
Excerpt:
When the British government alerted Microsoft in May to a critical wormable bug – which security researchers dubbed BlueKeep – in its Windows operating system, the company scrambled to push out an urgent patch.

Although Windows 8 and Windows 10 were unaffected by the security flaw, Windows 7, Windows Server 2008 R2, and Windows Server 2008 were among those that were vulnerable. Security experts feared a repeat of 2017’s WannaCry attacks: the vulnerability is pre-authentication and requires no user interaction, meaning any malware developed that exploited the issue could potentially propagate freely, spawning across tens of thousands of exposed machines.

Old 11-05-2019, 12:11 PM

3,655 posts, read 1,612,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post

I seriously just don't give a rats behind. Please update my computer. Even better do, it in the background so I don't even know it happened.
Yes, much of an update is for security. Security holes are found every damn day in Windows and Chrome and Firefox, yes even in MacOS (although probably not daily in MacOS).
Have you heard of BlueKeep? Probably not. Keep your head in the sand...
Great thread to bring it up in though for those that may not have heard.

https://www.cbronline.com/news/bluekeep-malware
Excerpt:
When the British government alerted Microsoft in May to a critical wormable bug – which security researchers dubbed BlueKeep – in its Windows operating system, the company scrambled to push out an urgent patch.

Although Windows 8 and Windows 10 were unaffected by the security flaw, Windows 7, Windows Server 2008 R2, and Windows Server 2008 were among those that were vulnerable. Security experts feared a repeat of 2017’s WannaCry attacks: the vulnerability is pre-authentication and requires no user interaction, meaning any malware developed that exploited the issue could potentially propagate freely, spawning across tens of thousands of exposed machines.

Fine. Alert me to the update and let me choose to update or not.

Old 11-05-2019, 01:23 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,495,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by james112 View Post
Fine. Alert me to the update and let me choose to update or not.
I totally agree, make them optional. Let me choose when and if to install them.

Another thing that just drives me crazy, unattended and automatic updates break some of my network connections which cause my scheduled backups to fail. I either have to log off and back in or do a restart to fix this. Another one is a small one but very irritating, it will change my default PDF viewer back to Edge. I HATE Edge, I use an actual PDF reader, not a browser. Anyone else notice this?

Old 11-06-2019, 06:50 AM

16,559 posts, read 19,748,805 times
I don't WANT to have to think about them ut I've also had a great track record of NOT having issues with updates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
it will change my default PDF viewer back to Edge. I HATE Edge, I use an actual PDF reader, not a browser. Anyone else notice this?
But this one.. OMG does that annoy the ever loving s out of me.

Old 11-09-2019, 05:51 PM

26,777 posts, read 26,897,504 times
We just had the upgrade done. Windows 10 is fine. Not seeing that huge a difference between it and 7.

Old 11-09-2019, 07:31 PM

4,003 posts, read 10,851,006 times
I just made the switch from 7 to 10 as well with a new PC. Was a little apprehensive, but it is basically the same thing.

Old 11-12-2019, 04:44 PM

2,745 posts, read 3,029,146 times
I just converted my Dell Latitude E6410 laptop, with a first generation i7-640m 2.8Ghz processor, 8 gigs ram, and a 1TB harddrive, to Windows 10 pro 64bit yesterday. Over the top of my older Win7 Pro 64bit.

It took over 11 hours to clone it first with CASPER to another drive over usb, just-in-case, and only a couple hours to convert it, and tweak it to my liking using Windows 10 on a flashdrive. Mostly because it had to download and install a lot of updates, or said it needed to. Otherwise, it went pretty easy, with absolutely NO issues.

Not sure I like some of the way things are setup in Win10 compared to Win7, but I'm sure I'll eventually get used to it. It's almost like it thinks my laptop is a Android cell phone, which is weird. Though there are some things I do like.

By the way, it said it was going to UN-install Windows Media Player during Win10 setup, and acted like it did, but it's still there! I had never used it before (I use VLC), so never even set it up. I noticed the icon was still on my toolbar after Win10 installed, so I clicked it, it went through setup, and it's all there and working. I'm not sure what's up with that, but it doesn't bother me too much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers