Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2019, 05:14 AM

7,636 posts, read 8,707,635 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for an anti-glare screen protector for my 27", 16:9 monitor. The purpose is to reduce eye strains. I don't care privacy as this is for home use. Any recommendations for the ones you know to be good? (I browsed on Amazon, but thought to ask for first hand experience) Thanks.

P.S. Prices range from $33/2-pack to three digits. Are the high prices justified?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2019, 01:03 PM

1,570 posts, read 1,379,592 times
How about just getting those special computer glasses? Then you could use them for you other devices like your phone or tablet. Two pair on Amazon for $20.

FEIYOLD Blue Light Blocking Glasses Women/Men for Computer Use,FDA Approved Anti Eyestrain Gaming Glasses,Cut UV400 Transparent Lens(2Pack)

4.6 out of 5 stars

Old 08-13-2019, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janellen View Post
How about just getting those special computer glasses? Then you could use them for you other devices like your phone or tablet. Two pair on Amazon for $20.

FEIYOLD Blue Light Blocking Glasses Women/Men for Computer Use,FDA Approved Anti Eyestrain Gaming Glasses,Cut UV400 Transparent Lens(2Pack)

4.6 out of 5 stars
Yeah I later saw those, too. Have you used them? I hesitated because of some bad reviews. Some say it caused headaches, but I wonder if that applies to the flat 0.0 degree ones.

After I posted this thread without replies, I have since bought two screen protectors and returned both. One doesn't seem to make any difference, the other was a privacy screen filter that makes the screen dark even when looking directly at it with 0 angle. Besides, the prices don't seem to be justified. So I did consider those glasses.

Anyone with the glasses experience please share your opinions...

Some reviewers say the glasses they bought failed the blue light test.

Update: Anyway, I ordered two. Will see how/if they work...

Last edited by snowmountains; 08-13-2019 at 05:32 PM..

Old 08-13-2019, 06:52 PM

1,210 posts, read 888,712 times
I'd like a recommendation for a privacy screen so my boss can't see my posting on City-Data while at work....

Old 08-13-2019, 10:14 PM

1,570 posts, read 1,379,592 times
Yes, I use a blue blocker glasses from Amazon. I've used them for a year, not the same ones I posted but similar. I guess they help, whatever, they don't hurt and I've never gotten a headache from them. Come to think of it, I think I got mine from ebay and they were cheaper. Hope this helps.

Old 08-14-2019, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal_Native View Post
I'd like a recommendation for a privacy screen so my boss can't see my posting on City-Data while at work....
I bought this one and returned it. It does protect privacy, if your boss is looking beyond a certain angle, maybe 45 degrees? Not sure exactly. The reason I returned it was that my purpose was not for privacy, and this screen protector makes the screen slightly darker even when looking at it directly.

For privacy, this one does work. I don't like the mounting stickers, though.

Old 08-14-2019, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowmountains View Post
I bought this one and returned it. It does protect privacy, if your boss is looking beyond a certain angle, maybe 45 degrees? Not sure exactly. The reason I returned it was that my purpose was not for privacy, and this screen protector makes the screen slightly darker even when looking at it directly.

For privacy, this one does work. I don't like the mounting stickers, though.
When you are looking straight on (like normal viewing) roughly how much blockage is there? Like 5%? 10% something like that? Or, is it almost exactly like no glare screen is there?

Old 08-14-2019, 10:36 AM

Quote:
When you are looking straight on (like normal viewing) roughly how much blockage is there? Like 5%? 10% something like that? Or, is it almost exactly like no glare screen is there?

There is no blockage straight on (you don't want to block yourself do you?). And even a small angle away doesn't have the privacy effect. It's darker than just a no glare screen, that's why I returned it. If you are going to use it in bright lighting then it will be good. You can read the many reviews on Amazon (click link) to get a better idea. Again my purpose was not for privacy but for eye comfort. For privacy it's not bad, and may be among the cheapest. The other one I bought was a little cheaper and no privacy at all.

Old 08-14-2019, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowmountains View Post
It's darker than just a no glare screen
That's what I meant. It's darker meaning it is filtering out some of the screen brightness.

Old 08-14-2019, 12:11 PM

Quote:
That's what I meant. It's darker meaning it is filtering out some of the screen brightness.

Screen brightness can be adjusted anyway without the protector. The protector makes the contents on the screen invisible from side view beyond a certain angle. You can order and try it, no hassle return if you don't like it. It comes in a large flat box, very light.

Last edited by snowmountains; 08-14-2019 at 12:29 PM.. Reason: typo withOUT
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers