Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2019, 09:52 AM

9,511 posts, read 5,494,733 times

Advertisements

I'm totally ignorant of it and I need a new hobby and a few more skills in the tool bag. It's actually good that I will be starting from 0, I'm not corrupted.

Any reccomendations on where I should start?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2019, 06:59 AM

16,593 posts, read 19,811,990 times
Do you own Photoshop?

If not, learn GiMP: https://www.gimp.org/downloads/
Does 90% of what PShop does and it's free. Go to YouTube. Watch tutorials.

Old 10-28-2019, 08:08 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,517,567 times
Online courses would be the most economical. Not sure if they exist for graphics work, they should. Most of these courses would require an name brand product like Adobe. If you are learning on your own, you can use anything. You could also get an e-book or similar.

Nowadays you rent Photoshop don't you?

I hate this subscription based BS but that seems to be the way it's going. What it means is you get regular updates, many don't need them and it makes the software companies more money in the long run.

https://shotkit.com/buy-photoshop/

https://www.adobe.com/products/photo...cing-info.html

Old 10-28-2019, 08:21 AM

329 posts, read 513,631 times
I've been using PS for 25 years and I'd say that most of the tools that came out after version 5 or 6 I rarely use.

When you say you want to learn CAD, do you mean 2D layouts or 3D?

Old 10-28-2019, 08:22 AM

It's a "Subscription". Agree, it sucks and I go out of my way NOT to support that model in my personal life which is why I recommend Gimp. It's really good and once you know it there isn't a huge curve to learn PShop.

Old 10-28-2019, 08:32 AM

5,718 posts, read 7,287,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ingsoc75 View Post

When you say you want to learn CAD, do you mean 2D layouts or 3D?
Also, it's not just a matter of learning how to operate the program. Are you familiar with the principles of mechanical drawing - Orthographic projection, isometrics, surface development, sectioning?

Old 10-28-2019, 08:50 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,407,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P47P47 View Post
Also, it's not just a matter of learning how to operate the program. Are you familiar with the principles of mechanical drawing - Orthographic projection, isometrics, surface development, sectioning?
Exactly.

Photoshop is a consumer computer program. You cna probably get a pretty good basic proficiency by going through some online tutorials. I am willling to bet that someone has downloadable tutorials in Photoshop available for short money.

CAD is a whole different ball of wax. Basically this consists of three elements:

1) 3 dimensional modeling. This is basically using geometric concepts to create a simulated 3-d item in the computer. If you have not done this, or if you do not have a good working grasp of plane and solid geometry, you're going to struggle. First you do individual parts, then you do assemblies.

2) Simulation. This consists of doing different things to the model and seeing how it would respond if it were a real thing. For example, your model of a beam can be subjected to a load at its end, and you can then simulate (given a material assigned to it, with the material properties) how much it deflects under the load and the stresses in the beam. You need a good understanding of the principles of what you're trying to simulate, before you start running simulations, otherwise you'll get garbage and not know it. For example, two dimensional flow, three dimensional flow, heat transfer, static stress analysis, kinematic analysis, etc., etc.

3) Drafting: turning the modeled part of concern into a usable drawing. If you are already a competent draftsman, it's pretty easy. If you have no idea what the terms listed above even mean, then you need to learn "drafting, computer aided". Instead of spending time learning about how to sharpen pencils and how to square up a sheet on the board, you'll learn how to use the computer's tools; but the fundamentals of how objects are represented on the sheet/screen are still essentially the same.

And the subject of properly dimensioning and tolerancing a drawing so it can be used to make parts, in the most efficient manner, is a lifelong study. I've been doing this for almsot 40 years now and I still find errors in dimensions and tolerances. Heck, just determining how much diametral interference should be used to press fit a bearing into a housing can blow up into a huge study before you know it, and people have been doing that for at least a hundred years now.

So, my point is that while "Photoshop" can be largely self-taught, "CAD" would be VERY difficult to achieve competence without significant instruction, and such instruction is unlikely to be found in You Tuba videos. I would recommend making contact at the local community college to begin.

When I set out to learn Solidworks, as a professional mechanical engineer with already more than 20 years of experience, but limited CAD experience, I paid for a proper course at the local junior college (6 weeks, classroom three times a week (I think each class was 2 hours?) and keep in mind that Solidworks is one of the easiest CAD programs to pick up. Unigraphics, or Pro-E? Gonna take more than that, even.

Old 10-28-2019, 08:55 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,407,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P47P47 View Post
Yes, knowing how to drive a computer program is not the same as knowing how to do what the program is helping you do. I get really tired of people who think that competency in project management consists of knowing how to operate Microsoft Project.

Old 10-28-2019, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
Exactly.

Photoshop is a consumer computer program. You cna probably get a pretty good basic proficiency by going through some online tutorials. I am willling to bet that someone has downloadable tutorials in Photoshop available for short money.
YouTube is free and all you need to learn ... GiMP. (or Pshop).

Old 10-28-2019, 09:23 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,809,898 times
https://draftsight.en.softonic.com/download

A good free CAD program. Since it's free you can take your time and mess around with it.

I used AutoCAD for about 20 years and the Draftsight program will read and write DWG files and the operations are so similar to AutoCAD it can easily be a first step.

But, as others have said, there are things you need to learn before really understanding CAD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers