Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2019, 11:03 AM

2,614 posts, read 5,844,494 times

Advertisements

Hopefully, it's an easy one, but I can't find an answer. I would appreciate any help...

About 90% of the time, I use my Lenovo laptop rigged up in a desktop configuration. I have cable Internet, with an ethernet cable between the modem and a router, and then an ethernet cable from the router to my laptop. The router provides wireless connection for our phones, iPad, and when I occasionally disconnect my laptop and take it to the porch. I have started having problems where my laptop loses Internet connection while I'm working, but all of my wireless devices continue to have Internet access. The problem is getting more frequent, but typically only last a few minutes. At its worst, the laptop tends to cycle between access and no access every few minutes, while experiencing no connection problems on my iPad.

Switching out the router-to-laptop ethernet cable did not fix it. I know I can just go to a full-time wireless connection for the laptop, but I would like to know what's going on. I'm bumfoozled. Can y'all bail me out one more time? As always, thanks for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2019, 06:32 AM

15,462 posts, read 25,909,263 times
I would just do wireless on the laptop. However, maybe the jack of the laptop has worn out. Onde thing you should try is unplugging the modem and router and plugging them back in after 30 seconds. That often solves problems. Just a thought.

Old 12-04-2019, 06:40 AM

62,065 posts, read 87,781,978 times
I am having the same experience. The modem works fine and doesn't need to get rebooted, internet is there, all other devices work great, but the laptop gets disconnected almost daily. I didn't really try to find the cause, just reconnect it again. My work on the laptop isn't lost, so I am not worried, yet.
I noticed it after Windows last update to 1903, but it might not be related, just a coincidence.

Old 12-04-2019, 07:58 AM

2,743 posts, read 4,845,291 times
Since you report no problems when:
* the laptop is hard-wired to your Router, and
* other devices show no problems via WiFi;
then your problem is NOT your Router's Internet, nor your Router's WiFi radio.

It's probably either your Laptops WiFi or it can't get a consistent signal out in the porch.

A: Try using your laptop adjacent to your Router, but unplugged.
1) If your Internet connection is steady, then the Laptop's WiFi radio is good and it's probably that your laptop can't maintain the connection when in the porch.
2) If your laptop's internet connection is still intermittent, then it's your laptop's WiFi radio.

If it's your Laptop's WiFi radio, then try a plug-in WiFi to see if it works better (USB dongles are about $10-15).
Another thing to try is to use your computers web browser to log into your Router and change the radio channel of your WiFi to see if others get a better signal out to your porch. But if you do that, be observant how other devices WiFi signals are effected.

Old 12-04-2019, 03:36 PM

15,462 posts, read 25,909,263 times
I may have read it wrong, but they seemed to be saying it was happening while connected to the Ethernet cable, not on the porch. Can the OP please clarify?

Old 12-04-2019, 03:57 PM

6,649 posts, read 7,392,589 times
Could there be too much activity for your internet speed and for a brief time you lose the connection?

I would also switch to wifi to see if you have the same problem. If not maybe you have a problem with the cable or the connector in the computer.

Old 12-04-2019, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
I may have read it wrong, but they seemed to be saying it was happening while connected to the Ethernet cable, not on the porch. Can the OP please clarify?
Correct. I've encountered no problems at all with wifi connection. My standard connection is Ethernet cable laptop to router. That's the connection that drops the Internet access.

As Elnina stated, it's currently just an annoyance unless I happen to be in the middle of a form submission, email transmission, etc. If the disconnect remains for long enough, my laptop automatically switches to wifi, and everything is fine. Then at some point, it converts back to Ethernet and the cycle begins again.

I agree the simple answer is just to go to wifi all the time, but I don't understand why I should have to do that. I've swapped out the cable, which did NOT fix the problem. My router is getting some age on it, and I guess the problem could be somewhere within its innards. I just hate to start buying pieces and parts, randomly looking for an answer.

Old 12-05-2019, 07:30 AM

23,177 posts, read 26,285,270 times
My wi fi connection kept shutting down the last several days.Finally discovered the internet adapter kept disabling itself and going the ethernet.
Today it simply wouldn't stay on once I supposedly enabled it.I followed something from googling and found under properties there was a check mark on a box under power management to enable it to shut off to "save power". Maybe it's doing to reverse for you?
Of course, I have no idea what power it's saving since it's plugged in.

Old 12-05-2019, 08:22 PM

Interesting. I need to chase that down. Thanks for the tip.

Old 12-07-2019, 05:37 AM

23,177 posts, read 26,285,270 times
Well, guess what? Regardless of it being changed yesterday, same thing happened again today...seems to be at the same time of day...reverted back to the 'save power' management setting.
However, just restarting the computer 'cures' it.
PITA but easy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers