Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2020, 03:00 PM

570 posts, read 1,289,129 times

Advertisements

I have a COMPAC Presario Notebook PC AMD that I never use because it is too heavy to lug around.

I would like to Donate it .... but before I do, I want to make sure there is not a trace of anything left on it that is linked to me.

How can I make sure EVERYTHING is wiped out of it?????
I have heard of what is called a "Government Wipe out" but I don't have a clue how to do it?

All suggestions will be appreciated....
Thanks in advance :-)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2020, 03:15 PM

11,168 posts, read 8,011,215 times
Put it back to “factory settings”.

Click "Start" and enter Recovery in the search field.
Select "Recovery Manager" from the list. ...
Select "System recovery." Your computer will go ahead and reboot and reload the "Recovery Manager."
Select "System recovery" and click "Next."
Select "Back up your files first (recommended)" option, and then click "Next."

It will give you the option to return your computer to factory settings.
( DO NOT pick “ back up files”).

If you still have issues.. there are many YouTube videos on how to return Compac back to factory settings. Good luck!

Last edited by Sydney123; 09-12-2020 at 03:46 PM..

Old 09-12-2020, 04:03 PM

13,289 posts, read 8,504,789 times
To be absolutely assured all data is gone
Remove the hard drive. Have it crushed. Then dip it in battery acid. Toss away the now defunct hard drive.
Go buy a used or cheap hard drive. Put it in. Donate with the note: needs operating system.

Old 09-12-2020, 04:22 PM

570 posts, read 1,289,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney123 View Post
Put it back to “factory settings”.

Click "Start" and enter Recovery in the search field.
Select "Recovery Manager" from the list. ...
Select "System recovery." Your computer will go ahead and reboot and reload the "Recovery Manager."
Select "System recovery" and click "Next."
Select "Back up your files first (recommended)" option, and then click "Next."

It will give you the option to return your computer to factory settings.
( DO NOT pick “ back up files”).

If you still have issues.. there are many YouTube videos on how to return Compac back to factory settings. Good luck!
Thank you for the information Sydney123!
I just finished doing what you said and it is now boxed up ready to go.
Have a great weekend

Old 09-12-2020, 04:31 PM

5,211 posts, read 3,141,564 times
Much easier to encrypt the hard drive, especially if it’s a SSD. Just use a really long pass phrase of 16 or more letters and numbers. The data are scrambled (it might take several hours) and without the pass to decrypt, it is just gibberish to anyone who tries to snoop it.

Old 09-12-2020, 05:21 PM

11,168 posts, read 8,011,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LastStraw View Post
Thank you for the information Sydney123!
I just finished doing what you said and it is now boxed up ready to go.
Have a great weekend

Happy to have helped...

Old 09-12-2020, 07:14 PM

13,289 posts, read 8,504,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney123 View Post
Happy to have helped...
Anyone with versed tech knowledge would be insulted by the method advised in your post. It did not wipe out the data from the hard drive. It created a band aide for the operating system. The data is still on the disk.
I took the ops inquiry to mean complete removal of data .

Old 09-12-2020, 08:37 PM

5,117 posts, read 6,128,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
Anyone with versed tech knowledge would be insulted by the method advised in your post. It did not wipe out the data from the hard drive. It created a band aide for the operating system. The data is still on the disk.

Agreed. There are a couple ways to come pretty close to guaranteed wipe out such as use a CD based 'live' OS such as Linux to reformat the drive with a Linux format, load Linux on it, then reload it with a a Windows recovery CD (assuming you want Windows on it) But the best way is to remove and destroy the drive

Simply doing a factory reset just changes the (well known) index information but leaves all the raw data in place, assuming that as the disk it is used it will be overwritten. But for someone who knows where to look a lot of information can be pulled off.

The good thing is that most donated laptops go to reputable organizations who do their best to make sure nothing leaks through.

Old 09-12-2020, 08:44 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,273,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nov3 View Post
anyone with versed tech knowledge would be insulted by the method advised in your post. It did not wipe out the data from the hard drive. It created a band aide for the operating system. The data is still on the disk.
+1.

Better UNbox it.

Old 09-12-2020, 09:25 PM

2,337 posts, read 2,591,318 times
+2
Your data is still on the hard drive and easily accessible to someone with bad intentions. The drive can be wiped with any of a number of free software apps, but if you want to be REALLY SURE, remove the hard drive and donate the computer without it. Have the drive shredded at the next local shredding event.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers