Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2020, 10:43 PM

7,019 posts, read 3,748,248 times

Advertisements

it seems like DVD's that I order seem to play better on the one with the larger screen. When I play the DVD's on the 15 inch screen laptop it sometimes freezes and skips. When I take that same DVD and play it in the other laptop it runs smooth without any freezes. Wonder why that is?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2020, 10:54 PM

5,921 posts, read 13,853,608 times
Could be a bad DVD reader...

Old 09-13-2020, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irman View Post
Could be a bad DVD reader...
Its the same exact laptop just two inch difference in screen size. Both are black hp laptops with DVD players and play DVD under sMedio

Old 09-14-2020, 05:41 AM

3,782 posts, read 4,247,648 times
Being identical from from the outside does not mean the same identical components are installed. Manufacturers usually do not produce their own DVD drives (or other internal components; Dell does for some models), so the good drive might be made by a different manufacturer than the other drive.

Also, even if the drives are identical and made the same day, it does not mean one cannot malfunction while the other doesn't.

Like anything man-made, it can and will break.

And it might not even be the DVD itself, but a processor, a circuit board, a connector, etc. I would suggest having it checked out or if under warranty, send it back for repair.

Old 09-14-2020, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by f5fstop View Post
Being identical from from the outside does not mean the same identical components are installed. Manufacturers usually do not produce their own DVD drives (or other internal components; Dell does for some models), so the good drive might be made by a different manufacturer than the other drive.

Also, even if the drives are identical and made the same day, it does not mean one cannot malfunction while the other doesn't.

Like anything man-made, it can and will break.

And it might not even be the DVD itself, but a processor, a circuit board, a connector, etc. I would suggest having it checked out or if under warranty, send it back for repair.

The 15 inch was purchased from walmart and 17 inch was purchased from best buy so not sure if that makes a difference

Old 09-15-2020, 09:34 AM

5,114 posts, read 6,090,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymkt View Post
The 15 inch was purchased from walmart and 17 inch was purchased from best buy so not sure if that makes a difference

Do they have the same processors in them, the same memory, the same video processor? The vendors will supply machines with different internal configurations that have similar model numbers. I suspect the one with 17" display has a better video processor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers