Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2008, 07:50 PM

5,068 posts, read 10,128,114 times

Advertisements

On another board, there was someone who wanted to protect his computer. Someone suggested a UPS. Someone else said:
"I've had several uninterruptable power supplies. All of them interrupted themselves! Fortunately, all were given to me. Further, such supplies only last long enough to save your work when power fails for many computers. So, my opinion of these supplies is that they're largely worthless. Instead, back up at least your data frequently. Actually, I clone my entire hard drive periodically and make frequent backups of very important data."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2008, 08:37 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,438,984 times
Who ever you quoted is brain dead and totally misses the point of a UPS. A UPS isn't a generator or a data backup solution. Its designed to provide enough battery power to ride out short utility interruptions and in the case of an extended outage, provide power long enough to save your work and shutdown the apps and OS gracefully. I can't tell you how many times I've had my power flicker, the UPS beeps, and I'm able to keep working as if nothing had happened. Without a UPS I've have endured a system reboot at best, more likely some data loss, or possibly a full-blow Windows trashing.

I've been using APC brand UPSs for years with good results. The battery is replaceable in all but the cheapest ones so you just replace a $50 battery every 4 years instead of tossing the whole unit.

Old 09-25-2008, 10:05 AM

23,589 posts, read 70,358,767 times
EscapeCalifornia (love the 'nym) is right. A UPS is nothing more than a device designed to keep you from swearing and kicking your computer into a mass of twisted metal.

When I was doing early programming, I had to set a kitchen timer to remind me to do backups every thirty minutes or so, because a power flicker could otherwise wipe out hours of work. A UPS stops that constant concern. APC works for me as well, but for protection against surges and near lightning strikes, I prefer Tripplite Isobars.

Old 09-25-2008, 10:34 AM

1,193 posts, read 3,992,205 times
I like APC as well...

And you can always daisy chain batteries on those, well...maybe not -always- but I've seen it work without blowing anything up or failing to charge.

Old 09-25-2008, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Arp View Post
I like APC as well...

And you can always daisy chain batteries on those, well...maybe not -always- but I've seen it work without blowing anything up or failing to charge.
I've always read not to daisy chain UPSs and/or surge suppressors. One issue is that unless you have a very expensive UPS, it doesn't output a clean sine wave when on battery. The stepped wave coming out of the first UPS could cause trouble for the downline UPS. Its always better to buy the right-sized UPS for the task.

Old 09-25-2008, 02:50 PM

16,663 posts, read 15,654,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
I've always read not to daisy chain UPSs and/or surge suppressors. One issue is that unless you have a very expensive UPS, it doesn't output a clean sine wave when on battery. The stepped wave coming out of the first UPS could cause trouble for the downline UPS. Its always better to buy the right-sized UPS for the task.
Daisy-chaining surge protectors increases the surge protection. You could burn out the one closest to the wall outlet and save the one closest to the computer.

Back on-topic: I like APC UPS units.

Old 09-25-2008, 04:03 PM

Quote:
I'm not talking about daisy chaining the actual UPSs. Pull the battery connectors out and grab a few more batteries and keep expanding.

Old 09-25-2008, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Arp View Post
I'm not talking about daisy chaining the actual UPSs. Pull the battery connectors out and grab a few more batteries and keep expanding.
You mean put all the batteries in parallel so the voltage stays the same but the amp-hours goes up?

Old 09-29-2008, 02:12 PM

620 posts, read 2,083,082 times
My preference is Tripp•Lite.

Digital Line-Interactive UPS - 120V (http://www.tripplite.com/EN/products/product-series.cfm?txtSeriesID=439&CID=1 - broken link)
Amazon.com: Tripp Lite HT1000UPS 1000VA USWith LCD: Electronics

I used to buy Belkin, but the last one I bought lasted only about a year before the circuitry died.

I consider a UPS to be a critical component of any serious computer installation today. The power grid is not as stable as it used to be and will only get worse with the aging infrastructure. All it would take is for a power interruption to happen during a disk write and you've got serious trouble with your HD.

Last edited by Bull Winkus; 09-29-2008 at 02:20 PM.. Reason: Added second link.

Old 09-29-2008, 02:24 PM

Quote:
You mean put all the batteries in parallel so the voltage stays the same but the amp-hours goes up?
Yessir.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers