Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2023, 07:42 PM

6,721 posts, read 6,482,819 times

Advertisements

Looking at the jobs in my inbox, seems like IT salaries are trending down, which is hard to believe given the so called labor shortage and inflation. Anyone else notice the same?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2023, 07:57 PM

5,527 posts, read 3,253,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamadiddle View Post
Looking at the jobs in my inbox, seems like IT salaries are trending down, which is hard to believe given the so called labor shortage and inflation. Anyone else notice the same?
Business leaders are making an all-out effort to drive down tech salaries. That's why there's so many layoffs in tech.

Old 04-22-2023, 09:06 PM

8,323 posts, read 13,450,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondalist View Post
Business leaders are making an all-out effort to drive down tech salaries. That's why there's so many layoffs in tech.
Where did you get that from?

I mean, it sounds a bit CT-ish to me.

I don't think most IT jobs THAT well to begin with!

Old 04-23-2023, 07:04 AM

8,418 posts, read 7,414,580 times
I did read an article on line within the past week or two, possibly on cnn.com, that detailed how the IT personnel who were terminated from tech firms such as Amazon, Salesforce, Twitter, etc. are now being solicited by IT contracting firms to perform basically the same work at their old places of employment for half the pay, no benefits, and no employment security.

Old 04-23-2023, 09:16 AM

5,114 posts, read 6,093,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
Where did you get that from?

I mean, it sounds a bit CT-ish to me.

I don't think most IT jobs THAT well to begin with!

Not since everything was virtualized and moved 'to the cloud' (read off shore where the job is done for peanuts)I got RIFed at the right time and was able to retire

Old 04-23-2023, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmilf View Post
I did read an article on line within the past week or two, possibly on cnn.com, that detailed how the IT personnel who were terminated from tech firms such as Amazon, Salesforce, Twitter, etc. are now being solicited by IT contracting firms to perform basically the same work at their old places of employment for half the pay, no benefits, and no employment security.
Not every job, even in IT can be done remotely or on cloud.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidValleyDad View Post
Not since everything was virtualized and moved 'to the cloud' (read off shore where the job is done for peanuts)I got RIFed at the right time and was able to retire
These are examples of outsourcing which has been happening way before pandemic and recession.

That actually happened at a previous job but the main reason was office politics and one of the Sr. Partners at the accounting firm has an axe to grind with my director and manager though the angle they used was "cost savings" for same level of service and support.

The entire IT was let go and a local MSP took over the job. I guess I was the only one the MSP wanted to retain but only because the actual company really liked me and "influenced" them to offer me a job.
What they were paying for someone at my level was almost half of what I was making. They had benefits and all but doubtful it was as good. They were only willing to match my salary so they could use me for a smoother transition and since they wouldn't be able to reduce my pay, they would simply find an excuse to let me go. I had enough common sense to "sense" this very likely scenario so I passed on it.

Besides, after 2 decades in the career, an MSP would not be a right place. They are OK for someone fresh in the IT field but anyone with decent skills and experience would likely to be better off working for an actual company instead of a "sweat shop" MSP, known to pay peanuts for ton of work you are expected to do.

To me, an MSP is not much different than an Indian IT contractor where employees are paid cr@p but company itself makes very good money. An American MSP is the same, difference, they are on US soil, employing US workers and paying comparably horrible wages.

Would you pay $20 for a very good, reliable screw driver Made in US if you didn't think it offered that much value/use to you or, go for an OK but inferior one Made in China and sold at Walmart for $4.99 or, go for a cr@p quality one sold at HFT for $1.99 instead?

That is basically my take on a worker (screw driver) and most people (companies) having different assessment of the value of such an item represents in their perspective. At the end of the day, everyone is trying to save money (necessity or greed) and thinking about #1 (themselves).

Isn't this the main reason why the company loyalty totally died off in the last 20+ years in the US, and only the fools are still giving 2-weeks notice?

I am sure there are still decent places where employees are valued but they are probably becoming more of an exception.

Old 04-23-2023, 01:15 PM

666 posts, read 425,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
Not every job, even in IT can be done remotely or on cloud.
Besides, after 2 decades in the career, an MSP would not be a right place. They are OK for someone fresh in the IT field but anyone with decent skills and experience would likely to be better off working for an actual company instead of a "sweat shop" MSP, known to pay peanuts for ton of work you are expected to do.
The quality of their work is also often strained by the fact that they are supporting an ever-expanding number of clients, and may not necessarily be growing their tech team to match. Plus the employee churn means that documentation is a mess and, in turn, drags out support requests. "Sweat shop" is a very apt description.

Old 04-24-2023, 01:28 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,186,228 times
We are relatively small with only about 130 in IT, but we have been expanding, adding people, and we all just got two raises, 6% cost of living an 0-4.5% performance based. We have also hired to replace retirements. Being a public agency our tech pay is not like Amazon or Microsoft, at about 90k-230k, and the work would probably be boring to the
social media, app and game developers.

Old 04-24-2023, 04:53 PM

1,065 posts, read 471,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
We are relatively small with only about 130 in IT, but we have been expanding, adding people, and we all just got two raises, 6% cost of living an 0-4.5% performance based. We have also hired to replace retirements. Being a public agency our tech pay is not like Amazon or Microsoft, at about 90k-230k, and the work would probably be boring to the
social media, app and game developers.
$90k-230k is what I'd expect (and generally what I see) for entry level at a non-big-tech company for a tech job. Maybe a little higher due to COL increases these past few years. Your company doesn't seem out of range....

Last edited by Oldgorilla; 04-24-2023 at 05:42 PM..

Old 04-24-2023, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Being a public agency our tech pay is not like Amazon or Microsoft, at about 90k-230k, and the work would probably be boring to the social media, app and game developers.
OK, that is a very high range if one can even call that a range! Is it covering all the positions at your company or only the ones you know of?
Because, from what I have seen, most non-niche, IT jobs pay under $100K. If you are actually talking about support positions, it is even much lower. Even most entry level Sys Admin or developer jobs weren't paying anywhere near $90K.

Especially since the recession, hardly any company was giving a decent raise while making everyone wear multiple hats so, I am curious to hear what positions and companies are paying $200K+?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers