Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2022, 01:03 PM

3,564 posts, read 6,581,405 times

Advertisements

We have ATT internet and home phone plugged into the router (not the wall). We tried to cancel our internet and keep the phone. They said we can't. If we want to, we have to "port" the phone so that the phone is plugged into the wall, and it cost more than now.

I guess it's because a voip phone is using the internet.

If you want to plug a home phone into the wall, it has to be ATT is that right?
I wonder if we could try Spectrum with phone only - it might cost more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2022, 01:07 PM

5,222 posts, read 3,045,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpasa View Post
We have ATT internet and home phone plugged into the router (not the wall). We tried to cancel our internet and keep the phone. They said we can't. If we want to, we have to "port" the phone so that the phone is plugged into the wall, and it cost more than now.

It doesnt have to be ATT. It just has to be a phone company.

Old 10-31-2022, 01:07 PM

8,098 posts, read 10,139,564 times
Depends on who provides hard wire phone service in your area. Is ATT your only option for wired phone service?

Old 10-31-2022, 01:21 PM

2,518 posts, read 2,072,700 times
are you addicted to the idea of a wired landline phone?

Why? What does it do for you?

I made the change to a cellphone-only (it still can operate on your home WiFi, if you are at home)
it was weird at first, but you get used to it. I've gone from $99/month to $9/month for phone service, for my config. I should disclose, all my work phone calls are free thru Teams/Skype.

I eagerly ditched the cable/VOIP wired phone because it was the consistent source of telemarketer robo SPAM calls. My Android 12 phone - it wont even audibly ring if you are not already in my address book.

Old 10-31-2022, 02:50 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,524,403 times
Quote:

Yes, it's VOIP. It works over the internet so obviously you need internet for it to work.

If you are paying for internet and don't actually use it as internet, you are throwing your money away.

If you insist you want a "home phone" you could pay for internet with a different company and then get the same type phone with Vonage or Basic Talk.

It may possible but not likely that ATT could install a copper line in your house. It would be a wired connection in your house but somewhere down the line it would still run over the internet.

Get a cell phone. It would actually be more reliable in my opinion. Cell towers go down less frequently than home internet in my experience.

Old 10-31-2022, 05:06 PM
KCZ

4,696 posts, read 3,719,624 times
Depends on where you live. I only get a cell signal once in a blue moon. My internet (Comcast) is down several hours a day, every day. My landline is by far the most dependable communication avenue I have.

Old 11-01-2022, 06:47 AM

15,471 posts, read 25,919,643 times
Same as comcast internet/tv. I want to ditch the TV service, but they charge te same price for internet only as they do with internet/tv. What’s the point?

Old 11-01-2022, 07:05 AM
KCZ

4,696 posts, read 3,719,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
Same as comcast internet/tv. I want to ditch the TV service, but they charge te same price for internet only as they do with internet/tv. What’s the point?

I actually think they provide lousy internet service where I live so they can keep customers tied to their television service. Trying to stream anything is an exercise in frustration. They get away with it because they're the only high-speed ISP in town.

Old 11-01-2022, 07:58 AM

6,600 posts, read 11,346,479 times
Quote:

You need to find your local carrier. For me, it was Verizon for local service.

But yea, it's definitely going away. Especially in metro areas where broadband service is plenty.
Some may not even accept new customers. And if you can get it, you'll likely pay more than any other voice service.

Old 11-01-2022, 09:17 AM

16,604 posts, read 19,829,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
What’s the point?
To keep you locked into their TV service.
ALthough I've never heard of any service that offers free live TV which is what you are saying. You save 0 dollars if you cancel the TV service?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers