Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2022, 12:18 PM

23,178 posts, read 26,314,509 times

Advertisements

Edge, still Win 10.
Ever since the last update, many of my chosen settings will not take.
This is the one that is most irritating, especially since it's not even a setting to chose and this type of thing has never happened before.
The screen goes blank,even the supposed unrelated Kindle, after about 1 1/2. two minutes.
Any activity...touching the keyboard, wiggling the mouse, brings the screen back faster than immediately
(yeah, I know what immediately means but you get the idea)
Should I even be considering Edge since Kindle also goes off? (Kindle stays working even with a power outage, so not dependent on the browser.
Any ideas?

For much, much longer, it has rejected every effort to switch from Bing to Google as my preferred search engine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2022, 12:23 PM

23,175 posts, read 12,337,126 times
Sounds like you need to go to Power settings and see what you got.

Old 11-21-2022, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Sounds like you need to go to Power settings and see what you got.
Thank you but I've done that numerous times and they're always showing the settings I chose.

Old 11-21-2022, 12:47 PM

8,438 posts, read 13,566,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Edge, still Win 10.
Ever since the last update, many of my chosen settings will not take.

This is the one that is most irritating, especially since it's not even a setting to chose and this type of thing has never happened before.
Ever since the last Windows Update? What settings specifically were you referring to?
I imagine if it had happened before, you'd have some idea on what'd happened and perhaps even how to resolve it but try to focus on the issue not your emotions.

Quote:
The screen goes blank,even the supposed unrelated Kindle, after about 1 1/2. two minutes.
Any activity...touching the keyboard, wiggling the mouse, brings the screen back faster than immediately
(yeah, I know what immediately means but you get the idea)
If this is in regards to your monitor turning of/screen going black while the machine is not in use for a specific number of minutes, then as mentioned, this has to do with your POWER settings:
Hold down Windows Key (between the left hand side CTRL and ALT keys) and press i
Select System
On the left column, click on Power & sleep

Quote:
Should I even be considering Edge since Kindle also goes off? (Kindle stays working even with a power outage, so not dependent on the browser.
Any ideas?

For much, much longer, it has rejected every effort to switch from Bing to Google as my preferred search engine.
No idea as if this issue was indeed with the Power settings, probably not related.

Old 11-21-2022, 01:38 PM

Two things. I have said that I have checked my power/sleep settings. They read the way I set them...for instance, to only turn off the screen after 2hours, same with sleep, two hours.
Secondly. The screen only goes to a medium blue, not the usual black.

Old 11-21-2022, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
Ever since the last Windows Update? What settings specifically were you referring to?
I imagine if it had happened before, you'd have some idea on what'd happened and perhaps even how to resolve it but try to focus on the issue not your emotions.

If this is in regards to your monitor turning of/screen going black while the machine is not in use for a specific number of minutes, then as mentioned, this has to do with your POWER settings:
Hold down Windows Key (between the left hand side CTRL and ALT keys) and press i
Select System
On the left column, click on Power & sleep

No idea as if this issue was indeed with the Power settings, probably not related.
That was just an example of another setting that isn't holding.
In my OP, I mentioned that settings aren't all working.
It was just that this constant "blue screen " is annoying

Old 11-21-2022, 02:34 PM

One other difference between a regular screen off is this blue screen stays illuminated.
Guess I'll just go to a broader search to see if it's happening to others.

Old 11-21-2022, 05:29 PM

8,438 posts, read 13,566,010 times
I think you must have already posted a reply when I was still typing so I missed your second post.

Anyhow, can you take a screenshot of this blue-ish screen? Use your phone if needed/possible.
Is there any writing on it or is it just a plain blue tint blank screen?

It is definitely not normal and I am still not sure if it is hardware related or software (OS).
Do you think the machine is in sleep or hibernation mode when you see this blue screen and does the system go back to your desktop when you move your keyboard or hit keys?

Also, when you say settings won't hold, what exactly happens, you change a setting then click OK/save and close that screen, and then when you go back, it reverted that setting to whatever it was before?

Old 11-22-2022, 12:31 PM

[quote=TurcoLoco;64487084]
Do you think the machine is in sleep or hibernation mode when you see this blue screen
I found a setting for 'Hybrid sleep" which perfectly describes it .Of course I had not opted for it and it was on OFF.

[/i]and does the system go back to your desktop when you move your keyboard or hit keys?[/i]
No, just to pages(s) that were open. On regular sleep , it reverts to the sign in page first, then to whatever was open...no signing in for this, it's instantaneous..

[/i]Also, when you say settings won't hold, what exactly happens, you change a setting then click OK/save and close that screen, and then when you go back, it reverted that setting to whatever it was before?[/i]
Correct. Whether or not this hybrid sleep overrides them I do not know, except I've tried turning it on, turning it off, nothing seems to matter
I'll play with it some more since it is so precisely a description

Was wrong about how long it takes being inactive. Just went to refill by coffee....maybe 30 seconds and this whatever it's called, was up. Maybe I should tape over my camera? Just kidding,

Found something like it on the web but it was from 2016 and had an option no longer available....
""System unattended sleep timeout"

Couldn't do screen shot since activity makes it disappear. Had to upend it and aim at the ceiling to avoid reflections. Still not a great picture. There seems to be something there, maybe bleed thru from the pages behind it ?? That looks like a possibility
the photo may be too big so just adding the link.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/memb...26-screen.html

Old 11-22-2022, 12:39 PM

23,175 posts, read 12,337,126 times
Could it be a monitor sleep mode, independent of the OS? What's the make/model of monitor?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers