Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2023, 05:17 PM

2,518 posts, read 2,058,679 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Everyone should be using a SSD now, not a hard disk drive. SSD's don't "defrag".
an SSD is a great improvement over a spinning rust HDD. Assuming SATA-III 6Gbps, it is already compatible with the laptop you got now.

However, just to let you know an 10Gbps M.2 NVME is orders-of-magnitude faster than an SSD.
My NVMEs can do a serial read at 2,700MB/second.

Your avg HDD is 133MB/sec on a good day. Your avg SSD is 425MB/sec on a good day.

The equivalent of your defrag/chkdisk on a 2TB disk lun takes me 1 min and 28seconds.
But again my setup was $1,800.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2023, 05:50 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,223,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPbud View Post
an SSD is a great improvement over a spinning rust HDD. Assuming SATA-III 6Gbps, it is already compatible with the laptop you got now.

However, just to let you know an 10Gbps M.2 NVME is orders-of-magnitude faster than an SSD.
My NVMEs can do a serial read at 2,700MB/second.

Your avg HDD is 133MB/sec on a good day. Your avg SSD is 425MB/sec on a good day.

The equivalent of your defrag/chkdisk on a 2TB disk lun takes me 1 min and 28seconds.
But again my setup was $1,800.
I know that but someone replacing an HDD with an SSD is probably doing it for an older system that doesn't support NVME. Defrag is not necessary and can even be detrimental. SSDs have smart technology to distribute the writes across the drive.

"Defragmentation is not recommended for SSDs because it can potentially decrease the performance and lifespan of the drive. This is because SSDs have a limited number of write cycles, and defragmentation can use up a significant portion of these cycles, resulting in reduced performance over time."
https://www.howtogeek.com/855293/sho...frag-your-ssd/

Old 05-12-2023, 06:16 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,350,394 times
The MacBook Air I'm using while typing this is from 2012. I've replaced the battery once. I recently thought it was dead as it wouldn't charge. It turned out to be the charger and not the laptop. I've used this one for work previously. These days I just use it for sites like this or social media. I might check my email on it.

Old 05-12-2023, 08:32 PM

33,316 posts, read 12,534,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
The MacBook Air I'm using while typing this is from 2012. I've replaced the battery once. I recently thought it was dead as it wouldn't charge. It turned out to be the charger and not the laptop. I've used this one for work previously. These days I just use it for sites like this or social media. I might check my email on it.
I have a 2016 Macbook Air that has seen heavy use. I'm on my third charger (including the original) and I think my third battery (including the original). The first replacement with both were replaced under Apple Care. Otherwise, it's a tank I don't consider that bad at all (pretty similar to my 2007 Macbook Pro....battery, charger, otherwise a tank). The Air fell out of my bag once at a baseball game and bounced on the concrete...it was fine. Another time I was walking by the bed it was on and my swinging arm accidentally caught the corner of it and knocked it off the bed and it skidded into the wall. Again, it was fine. I upgraded the SSD (from 128GB to 2TB on the Air...did it myself) and it's still going strong...hopefully for years.

Old 05-12-2023, 11:16 PM

3,694 posts, read 2,414,554 times
oceangaia post #8

Cheers for the YT vid.

Next time around I'll try a Dell or HP laptop.

Old 05-13-2023, 07:37 AM

7,188 posts, read 9,322,724 times
One thing to consider when replacing a laptop is that Chromebooks can do most things a laptop does for a lot less money.

Look into it for yourself to see if that would work for you.

Old 05-13-2023, 08:04 AM

15,074 posts, read 10,105,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
Same here... I'm on 11 inch MacBook air 2011. Basic one with i5 and 4gb of memory. The battery replace twice now which isn't too bad considering I use it quite a bit although it isn't my main computer. Just something small and light for web consumption. I've long switched over to Chrome OS flex since it is a smaller mem/cpu footprint than Mac OSX. Runs very well considering its age.

How long should a laptop last? It really depends what you use it for. Work laptop and my son's gaming machine gets refreshed a lot sooner than this macbook air. In the past, I've backed everything up and did a fresh reinstall. That seems to help at times.

Old 05-13-2023, 09:08 AM

23,539 posts, read 24,041,250 times
I use Lenovo & Dell laptops and receive about 3-4 years of use. The use of SSD drives seems to have increased laptop life. My failures on the old machines were usually with the hard drives. After 4 years, I will usually replace the laptop.

My spouse uses Apple laptops and received 8 years of use (impressive!) with her last Mac Book Pro. We bought a replacement Mac Book Air in 2021 to replace the aging Mac Book Pro. So far, so good.

Old 05-13-2023, 10:25 AM

4,254 posts, read 3,176,299 times
For a long time I purchased Dell laptops. The early ones were well built and functioned fine, typically for 6-7 years of heavy use. Over time, I started developing issues with the newer ones...some under warranty and some just out of warranty. Rarely were they lasting more than 2-3 years. I also found their customer service over the last few years to be absolutely horrendous. My newest laptop is a mid level HP....had it about a year and so far so good. Hoping to get at least 4 out of it.

Old 05-13-2023, 11:46 AM

2,528 posts, read 2,780,627 times
I'm on year 6 with my Dell laptop. It's only a basic Inspiron 15 3000 so nothing fancy. It's been fine for all that time . . . never a problem - yet! I keep it plugged in so can't speak to battery life. But I know the clock is ticking so I'm starting to look at options. My previous mid-level HP (can't remember the model) was a birthday gift and was nothing but trouble. My original home PC was a Dell desktop and I retired it when Vista was no longer supported. It didn't have any problems either.

So where to next? Maybe back to Dell. This thread is very helpful. Thanks OP!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers