Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2024, 08:04 AM

5,424 posts, read 3,482,156 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishingupnorth View Post
I always recommend Amazon Renewed for laptops and desktops. Here is an XPS 13

https://www.amazon.com/Flagship-Note...renewed&sr=8-3
Thanks! I'll look into it, that is basically what I have but I have a bigger hard drive I think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2024, 08:33 AM

6,625 posts, read 7,334,922 times
The requirements for windows 12 are very high from what little I have learned. If you are interested in windows 12 when it comes out in the fall might postpone a new computer to them or try and find one that will meet the new specs. My guess is that it is expensive,

Old 02-04-2024, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjm1cc View Post
The requirements for windows 12 are very high from what little I have learned. If you are interested in windows 12 when it comes out in the fall might postpone a new computer to them or try and find one that will meet the new specs. My guess is that it is expensive,
thanks for the information. I'm still on Windows 10.

Old 02-04-2024, 02:47 PM

5,703 posts, read 4,276,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanyBelle View Post
Oh wow, thanks! That's not something I would be able to do. I'll probably go to Best Buy or order from Dell.com.

Any more opinions:

1. XPS
2. Latitude
3. Inspiron

How muc ram? Storae ? I cant deal wit tis!!! lol

But a friend or repair shop could probably do it easily, and save you a thousand bucks on a new laptop you probably don't need.

Old 02-04-2024, 03:56 PM

109 posts, read 57,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
But a friend or repair shop could probably do it easily, and save you a thousand bucks on a new laptop you probably don't need.
Agree with this^^
Also, as a temporary fix, could you use an external keyboard / touchpad? Relatively inexpensive on Amazon.

Old 02-04-2024, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
I'll investigate this. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_G View Post
Agree with this^^
Also, as a temporary fix, could you use an external keyboard / touchpad? Relatively inexpensive on Amazon.
I'm using the on screen keyboard to fix the keys that are not working, very tedious.

I guess my other questions is --- this laptop is 7 years old, how many more years of life can I expect to get out of it?

Old 02-04-2024, 06:54 PM

5,703 posts, read 4,276,476 times
Quote:
I'll investigate this. Thanks!

I'm using the on screen keyboard to fix the keys that are not working, very tedious.

I guess my other questions is --- this laptop is 7 years old, how many more years of life can I expect to get out of it?

My laptop is 12 years old. As long as you back up your important files, it will last until it doesn't.

(note to self: back up important files)

Old 02-04-2024, 08:03 PM

5,114 posts, read 6,084,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemstone1 View Post
That would be a question for the vendor.

Go to the Dell Website. In the support tab you can put in the machines 'Service Tag Number' and pull up the user or service manual for almost any machine they have made in recent years. The Service Tag is usually on a label on the machine or available in the BIOS configuration page. The manual will tell you every step needed to replace the Keyboard (or any other component) in the machine. The Service tag will also tell you some history of the machine such as the exact configuration and date it was initially built as. If you can't find the service tag (I can't remember a Dell that I couldn't pull it from the label or the config file) you can still look up the documentation with just the model number. Whenever I get a new (or refurb) Dell I always download the manuals for it from their Website. When I am looking to buy a refurb I look up the manual for that model to see what configurations are possible (amount and type of memory, number of usb ports, disk slots, etc

I haven't used the XPS series but I have used Latitudes and Vostro models for years. a few have been new but several have been refurbs.

I currently have a Dell mini-tower that is between 9-10 years old, a few Latitudes that are between 15 and 7 years old that are all running perfectly well. I have replaced the original OS with Linux on most or upgraded the original Win 7 to Win 10 on a couple laptops. One is starting to get a little weak in the hinges but other than that all are doing fine for general purpose machines. The only problem with older laptops can be battery life. Most of mine are used plugged in almost all the time, generally as desktop replacements.

Old 02-04-2024, 08:23 PM

5,114 posts, read 6,084,776 times
Quote:
Oh wow, thanks! That's not something I would be able to do. I'll probably go to Best Buy or order from Dell.com.

Any more opinions:

1. XPS
2. Latitude
3. Inspiron

How muc ram? Storae ? I cant deal wit tis!!! lol

If you are buying I would go to Dell.com and look at the current sales and promos. They often have machines that are preconfigured that can be delivered in a few days and are at very good prices.

each of the Dell lines are targetted at specific markets. As I remember it Inspirons are targetted at the small business and medium level home market. Latitudes are marketted to the corporate/government market (one reason so many show up as refurbs, they come off lease or are traded in) I have found over the years that Latitudes have components that are designed to survive use by people whoon't have a vested interest in being gentle with them (They were issued them by an IT department who will take care of just about anything but blatent abuse) So they have sturdier cases and hinges, etc. XPS were the higher performance machines. Used by software developers, gamers who wanted very good graphics, etc. Prices and configurations ran accordingly Inspirons being good, Latitude being better, XPS being best

I never get the minimum RAM configuration, Disk depends on how much stuff you want to have available at any one time without retrieving it from an external drive. If you want to keep big files on the machine because where you will use it doesn't have internet access (Like when my nephew was in the Navy and his laptop was his main source of recreation on ship) you will need more disk (My Nephew took two external disks with him loaded with videos and games and his brother would send him a new disk with new movies and TV shows every couple months and he would send one of the older disks back to be reused for another delivery)

Old 02-04-2024, 08:39 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,936,608 times
Quote:
Hi all!

I have a Dell XPS 13 with 16 gb ram and lots of storage that I bought in 2017. The keyboard is starting to fail, the 'g' 'h' and the semicolon keys are not working. To use these keys, I have to bring up the on-screen keyboard.

I have been dreading this day. I am going to save this and continue on my tablet because I cant type like tis.
Check your local device repair shop. Mine had tons of ten-year-old and older refurbished Dells for sale along with newer laptops. You can also buy them online or even just the "shell" in which to transfer your old hard drive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers