Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2008, 10:39 AM

115 posts, read 366,334 times

Advertisements

Can anyone help me solve this new dilema? First thing this morning I get an alert that reads: "Cannot Log In to Mailbox (12037). The Server's Certificate is Invalid" in the spot that is normally my gmail notifier. Now I'm getting an alert that reads: "Problem with Sites Security Certificate. Do you want to proceed? Yes, No or View Certificate." in Explorer. What the heck is going on does anyone know? How do I stop this annoyance and why would I want to view a certificate? What certificate and why do I care? Do I have a software problem? Man this stuff is irrating! All of this since I ran CCleaner?? What next?? Is this piece of junk going to self implode?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2008, 11:28 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,098,960 times
"The Server's Certificate is Invalid" and "Problem with Sites Security Certificate" indicate the problem is on the server you are trying to connect to. Basically, the connection you make to the secure server still secure, but since the certificate is expired, it's not OFFICIALLY secure. To you, that symptom indicates one of two things:

1. Your computer has been taken over by malware that's redirecting your Gmail connection to some other site that steals your username and password in an effort to hijack your account.

2. The gmail server's security certificate has actually expired because Google neglected to renew it.

#2 is the more common scenario. The only way to tell for sure which of the two scenarios is happening would be to view the certificate and make sure that the certificate is owned by google.com. If you find that it IS NOT owned by Google, you should run a good antivirus and anti-spyware utility on the computer ASAP. If you find that it IS owned by Google, chances are the problem will be fixed by technicians there very soon when they renew it.

Old 06-04-2008, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
"The Server's Certificate is Invalid" and "Problem with Sites Security Certificate" indicate the problem is on the server you are trying to connect to. Basically, the connection you make to the secure server still secure, but since the certificate is expired, it's not OFFICIALLY secure. To you, that symptom indicates one of two things:

1. Your computer has been taken over by malware that's redirecting your Gmail connection to some other site that steals your username and password in an effort to hijack your account.

2. The gmail server's security certificate has actually expired because Google neglected to renew it.

#2 is the more common scenario. The only way to tell for sure which of the two scenarios is happening would be to view the certificate and make sure that the certificate is owned by google.com. If you find that it IS NOT owned by Google, you should run a good antivirus and anti-spyware utility on the computer ASAP. If you find that it IS owned by Google, chances are the problem will be fixed by technicians there very soon when they renew it.
My antivirus, spyware, etc. says that everything is okay on my end. I guess I'll wait to see if these problems fix themselves. Thanks for the reply.

Old 06-04-2008, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post

Bowie, I figured out what has happened. The clock and calender on my computer somehow changed to April 2005 and everything got screwed up from there. As soon as I adjusted the clock and calender to the correct time and date, all alerts went away. Finally! Thanks again!

Old 06-04-2008, 10:22 PM

3,109 posts, read 9,836,515 times
That happened to me a couple of months ago. I have a monopoly game I bought and downloaded. Suddenly it wouldn't work. I contacted the company I purchased the software from but before they replied I found that my computer clock was off by a year or so. I had been playing with the clock and calendar to see what day of the week a particular event occurred on. I had forgot to reset the clock year. When I corrected the clock, the software started working correctly. Felt like an idiot.

Old 06-05-2008, 07:23 AM

5,068 posts, read 10,128,827 times
LOL! The best way to get out of the calendar/clock is to click "Cancel".

Old 06-05-2008, 08:02 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,098,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Hollow View Post
Bowie, I figured out what has happened. The clock and calender on my computer somehow changed to April 2005 and everything got screwed up from there. As soon as I adjusted the clock and calender to the correct time and date, all alerts went away. Finally! Thanks again!
Ohhh, I haven't experienced that before, but it makes sense. The computer was thinking that security certificates expiring so far beyond 2005 must be invalid.

Glad to hear you were able to fix the problem!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers