Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2008, 12:30 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,188,106 times

Advertisements

I have a desktop G4 (dual processor) and like to play with the Garageband. It's better than watching TV. I use a 25 keyboard midi. It has several buttons and knobs which I don't know how to use, the instructions sounded like mumbo-jumbo, as if the midi is just a small part of a large recording set up.
I bought this Mac used and the Garageband does not have a number, such as Garageband 2. Is there a cheap way I can get the latest version. Is the latest version much different?
Also, I like to add effects to the instruments without putting a huge burden on the memory. Is this only possible starting with Garageband 2?
Recently I discovered that more instruments are available. Adding classical violins, cellos, etc would add to the fun. Anyone know of where I can download these instruments, possibly for free?
I'm interested in any info. Thanks very much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2008, 01:02 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,116,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
I have a desktop G4 (dual processor) and like to play with the Garageband. It's better than watching TV. I use a 25 keyboard midi. It has several buttons and knobs which I don't know how to use, the instructions sounded like mumbo-jumbo, as if the midi is just a small part of a large recording set up.
I bought this Mac used and the Garageband does not have a number, such as Garageband 2. Is there a cheap way I can get the latest version. Is the latest version much different?
There is no upgrade price for owners of previous versions of iLife. You just have to purchase the new version of the iLife suite. Garageband '08 is the third and newest version.

Quote:
Also, I like to add effects to the instruments without putting a huge burden on the memory. Is this only possible starting with Garageband 2?
Recently I discovered that more instruments are available. Adding classical violins, cellos, etc would add to the fun. Anyone know of where I can download these instruments, possibly for free?
The instrument sets for Garageband are called Jam Packs, and they're $99 You can purchase them from places where iLife is sold, or directly from Apple at the link below.

Apple - GarageBand - Jam Packs (http://www.apple.com/ilife/garageband/jampacks/ - broken link)

My son has the Symphony Orchestra Jam Pack. It's quite cool.

You really need to have your Mac maxed out on RAM to take full advantage of Garageband. Check out the system requirements if your Mac is more than a year or two old.

Old 06-27-2008, 11:06 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,242,922 times
I have Garage Band, and it is okay. Personally I think that Sound Track is much better and easier to use but good luck finding a copy (if you can, buy it) as it is not offered as a stand alone application anymore and it is now a part of Apple's Final Cut Pro studio suite

Chances are you are using Garage Band 1, which is not so bad and is more or less built for G4's. I would suggest that you max out your RAM and get a newer, faster hd if you do not already have one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers