Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 01:56 AM

242 posts, read 789,055 times

Advertisements

i will be purchasing a new laptop within the next couple of months and I was wondering what kind should I get? I will primarily use it to for school and surfing the web and downloading games, movies and music. There are so many choices out there and for me it is confusing. People keep telling me that Mac books run better that PC's and are more trouble-free. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2009, 05:24 AM

10,926 posts, read 22,003,381 times
It's a matter of personal opinion, both have their good points and bad points. Just research and get some hands on with each at a store to see what you like. As far as gaming, all serious gamers use a PC, many games aren't available for the Mac. There are a few threads debating the Mac/PC, have a look at those as well.

Old 04-27-2009, 07:02 AM

620 posts, read 2,084,491 times
Ditto what NHDave said. I would advise finding out first what the school wants you to get. They may or may not be partial to a specific OS. If you go Mac, OS X does have Boot Camp. With it, you'll be able, right out of the box, to install any version of Windows and use it in addition to OS X. That gives you more flexibility over the long haul, but you'll have to anti up for a copy of Windows.

Apple's bundled software is the best there is. The computers retain their value when taken care of. Viruses and spyware are not a problem unless you install Windows.

Old 04-28-2009, 09:50 PM

602 posts, read 2,034,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull Winkus View Post
Apple's bundled software is the best there is. The computers retain their value when taken care of. Viruses and spyware are not a problem unless you install Windows.
And even then, they'll only be a problem on your Windows partition which you can get rid of at any time. I have a Mac Mini that I run Boot Camp with and I love it.

Old 04-29-2009, 09:11 AM

526 posts, read 1,058,933 times
basically if your not ready to fork out money for a mac and an edition of windows to run boot camp then your best bet is a pc.
but id suggest if you get a mac to look online for a cheap copy of windows on new egg or something like that otherwise the store will charge you an un ethical amount of money for windows vista/xp

Old 04-29-2009, 08:08 PM

652 posts, read 1,785,919 times
I was looking at factory remanufactured notebook prices today and the whole tbhing is a racket! The price of a new model is usually less than two hundred more! I am refering to IBM's. A lenovo U330 used $929, new <$1200. It was the same for all of the models over $500 that i looked at.
The price of Mac's was absolutely insane! You could get a top o the line pc with change for the price of a reman mac! I guess the economy is tanking because I'm not buying anything at these prices.

Old 04-30-2009, 09:02 AM

Better check all the specs: processor, buss speed, memory speed, hard disk size, CD/DVD ROM, graphics processor (shared RAM or not), bundled software.

Sometimes, no, most times a bargain is not the best value.

Old 04-30-2009, 10:07 AM

652 posts, read 1,785,919 times
Hey Bull W,
I am no techie, but I am pretty certain the specs were exactly the same. The list read the same. What is this shared RAM thing? I'm guessing shared between graphics and data processing.
The reman did not mention which OS or any software making me think thta might be extra. All the new were Windows Vista some 64 bit some not.

Old 04-30-2009, 11:16 AM

Yeah, sometimes it looks like the specs are the same, but they are not. Several things affect speed, but most people simply cite processor speed as a proxy for the whole thing. I only buy Macs, so I'm less familiar with the processors other than the ones Apple sticks into theirs. I do know, however, that the type of processor, its MHz speed, the bus speed and the memory speed all contribute to the overall performance. In addition, the type and speed of the Graphics Processing Unit (GPU) and whether the GPU has its own memory are important factors as well. If the GPU shares RAM with main memory, the traffic on the main bus is increased over that of dedicated (to GPU) RAM.

All of Apple's current computers have fast spec processors and buses. Some do share RAM between main memory and the GPU. All are 64 bit and have been for some time. There is no legacy issues with 64/32 bit.

All Windows PCs should be scrutinized very carefully as anything is possible, combination wise, as faster tweaks increase the cost of manufacturing.

Last edited by Bull Winkus; 04-30-2009 at 11:32 AM..

Old 04-30-2009, 12:08 PM

230 posts, read 758,236 times
My daughter is a college student and has a Mac Book. She absolutely loves it and so do many of her friends that have them as well. She started in her freshman year with a Sony VIAO laptop and it was not that great. It had several hardware issues which required repairs. Since we purchased it at Best Buy it had to be sent off to Sony for repairs and that took time. One thing that is good about buying APPLE products is that the company provides exceptional customer service and onsight technical/repair services in their stores. That is definitely a plus if you have any problems - you can get technical assitance/repairs done very quickly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers