Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2009, 11:30 PM

2,611 posts, read 3,590,488 times

Advertisements

Okay, i'll try to make this short. I use my xbox 360 to connect to my pc to share videos/pictures/ media center, but since august 1, i couldn't get it to work. At first, I'd get a message that upnpdevicehost not working, then eventually it would go through the rounds of ssdp, fdrespub. network store interface, etc. Supposedly they are all connected and dependant on each other, but after many searches online and all, i noticed two things:

1) this usually pops up when i open media player 11. It says media sharing disabled, blah blah blah. So i turned it off and deleted the extender on media center.

2) the little icon on the corner that usually shows the "two" computers have a connection with a little cd logo, had a big red "x", showing like there is no internet connection

Funny thing is, that i can connect to the internet and play on my xbox and all. Everything is fine with the exception of media sharing and looking closely when the messages pop up that so and so is not working it all points to one thing:

DAMAGED FILE: UPNPHOST.DLL

So is this easily fixed? Do i just download a new file? Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2009, 06:36 AM

16,675 posts, read 15,676,579 times
You may be able to extract a clean copy from your Windows installation files. Most name brand PC's have these files in C:\I386 if you are using Windows XP.

You might try going here DLL Download | Free to download all dll files to get a replacement.

Old 08-17-2009, 08:35 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,705,555 times
How to troubleshoot configuration errors by using the System Configuration utility in Windows XP

Scroll down to Manually Extract a File and follow the directions.

Old 08-17-2009, 11:45 AM

Thanks, but i have Vista Home Premium. So i don't have I386 and following the second advice, the general tab didn't have that option either. I'll try to scroll down the list the second poster gave me, but would it matter that i have Vista?

Old 08-17-2009, 12:29 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,705,555 times
At the bottom of this page is some useful information. I don't think the top portion is applicable to you situation. Start at Resolution Steps and note that the command vista expand is not the same as the expand command from earlier versions of Windows. (MS is constantly screwing over it's own customers). You might try searching for vista expand in Windows Help.

Unable to Extract Contents of MSU

There might some help in one of these results.

VistaExpand - Bing

What is it that forces Microsoft to constantly work to make things worse instead of better in their products?

The problem here is having to know where the file is that contains the .dll file you want to extract (expand?).

Old 08-17-2009, 09:24 PM

Two more questions:

1) Since my mother and i got the exact same all-in-one cpu, could i just copy the file from her computer and install it on mine? YOu lost me in the hotfix.exe page. How do i get there?

2) this problem was most likely caused by what? It;s not a virus, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers