Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2007, 03:58 PM

4,343 posts, read 14,777,604 times

Advertisements

After all the bad things I'm hearing about Vista I'm about to buy a new laptop with XP. Any opinions? I know Vista is not compatible with quite a few programs and I'm not in a position to go out and buy all new. I have no problem with XP on my PC and from what I've heard (from Microsoft) they will still handle any XP issues for the next several years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2007, 04:03 PM

282 posts, read 1,264,247 times
I have a new laptop with XP.
It has the Windows Vista compatible sticker on it. I still have no intention of getting Vista, though. Not with all the horror stories I keep reading about with it.

Old 04-26-2007, 04:24 PM

2,976 posts, read 13,374,223 times
You are on the right track - there really is no need to update to Vista and XP will do the job just fine. Enjoy your laptop!

Old 04-26-2007, 05:38 PM

43 posts, read 191,972 times
xp is better than vista. vista is not only incompatibale with alot of stuf, but it slows down your computer. in fact i prefer 2000 coz it doesnt slow down you pc with useless rubish.

Old 04-26-2007, 06:39 PM

435 posts, read 1,815,211 times
I have a computer that could be upgraded to vista as well. I might upgrade in the future, but right now I'm ok with xp. My mom bought a laptop with vista (she wanted to get an xp, but they had stopped selling them at the time) & she really can't use it with a lot of things. They don't have a mouse that is compatible with vista yet (or at least last time she checked). Thankfully she still has her old computer. I have no complaints with xp & vista seems to be neat.

Old 04-26-2007, 07:04 PM

3,020 posts, read 25,733,418 times
Default Typical MS

They sell a new OS long before it is ready for prime time and expect the user to bear the grief and teething pains.

XP was sort of that way. Apparently Vista is even worse. I actually also use Win2000 on my surfing machine. MS will play the same game, suspend support at some time to attempt to force users into crap that really doesn't work and is more inefficient than what they presently use.

Maybe the real problem is like most monopoly(s) they really lose sight of the customer. The big question being what are the good alternatives. I tend to do like many, stick to the older technology as long as possible.

Bought my sister a new computer, had XP with an option to upgrade to Vista, that option has been deep sixed, definitely not going there. Laptops can be weird in their own right, no way would I want one with Vista from what I am hearing.

Old 04-26-2007, 07:12 PM

606 posts, read 699,194 times
a friend of mine uses laptop with Vista while I use laptop with XP.
Mine is obviously better than his..Vista looks better but not compatible and slow

Old 04-26-2007, 09:01 PM

196 posts, read 1,037,875 times
Determine what your needs are, then find the cheapest way to achieve them. I would love to have Vista but I simply can't afford it. I'm a tech guy though. My degree...my job.... Do you just surf the web and chat in forums? I wouldn't spend the money then. I have also heard of compatibility issues with Vista. XP will be around for a long time.

Old 04-26-2007, 09:07 PM

1,025 posts, read 4,095,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethebigcity View Post
They don't have a mouse that is compatible with vista yet (or at least last time she checked). Thankfully she still has her old computer. I have no complaints with xp & vista seems to be neat.
Try a plain, economy model Belkin. I bought my second Toshiba laptop last month (love Toshiba!) with Vista pre-installed. I plugged in an old Belkin mouse and it worked just fine. I haven't noticed any sluggish performance -- not for my rather mundane purposes anyway. The only problem I've had so far: Vista is incompatible with Norton 2007.

I won't be upgrading my PC from XP to Vista, though.

Old 04-26-2007, 10:22 PM

435 posts, read 1,815,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Figment 07 View Post
Try a plain, economy model Belkin. I bought my second Toshiba laptop last month (love Toshiba!) with Vista pre-installed. I plugged in an old Belkin mouse and it worked just fine. I haven't noticed any sluggish performance -- not for my rather mundane purposes anyway. The only problem I've had so far: Vista is incompatible with Norton 2007.

I won't be upgrading my PC from XP to Vista, though.
I'll have to let my mom know. She has the Toshiba laptop as well.
Thanks for the info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers