Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2009, 08:03 AM

4,789 posts, read 14,744,746 times

Advertisements

I don't like Macs; you get more computer buying a Windows PC. And for a laptop I'd go for the latest quad core 17" HP with a built in HDTV Tuner. Right now I use a Dell E1705.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2009, 02:22 PM

1,082 posts, read 2,403,283 times
I've worked with both Macs and Windows PCs for as long as both have been in existence, and while I don't hate PCs, I definitely prefer Macs. My older stepson was a die-hard PC fan and was quite upset when I gave him my old iBook for college several years ago. Now he would never go back to Windows. My wife and younger stepson made the switch to Macs a year later, and they've become converts, as well. Not only that, but both stepsons now work for Apple!

To those posters who said that there is some specialized software that doesn't run on Macs: Apple switched to Intel processors a few years ago, so you can run Windows natively on any Intel-based Mac, which also means that you can run Windows programs on a Mac. There is a fairly simple procedure for partitioning your hard drive and installing Windows alongside OS X, so you can boot up in either operating system -- i.e., you can have the best of both worlds. You'll still need to install the usual Windows anti-virus software on the Windows partition, though. Aside from games, there is very little Windows software that doesn't have a functional equivalent on the Mac, even if there may be more choices for Windows.

Macs and PCs aren't that different in price these days, if you do a feature-by-feature comparison. The computer forums always have ongoing flame wars in which someone will post information about a given PC that costs less than a comparably equipped Mac, and then someone will post information about the converse. The entry-level white MacBook is a tremendous value right now. Sure, netbook PCs cost hundreds less, but they also have less power and fewer features, and you have to factor in the cost of anti-virus software, and possibly (depending on your needs) software that does what the included-with-Macs iLife suite does. iLife is quite powerful. Just be sure you do your homework and make sure you know what you're getting for your money.

Last edited by HonuMan; 09-02-2009 at 02:37 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers