Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 11:35 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,223,056 times

Advertisements

I still think the OPs system has a fundamental problem. She had IE7 and IE8 both installed at the same time.

I would install Firefox or Chrome so she had a working browser. Then uninstall IE7. Then reinstall IE8. The browser should be unrelated to the printing problems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2010, 12:27 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,491,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
I still think the OPs system has a fundamental problem. She had IE7 and IE8 both installed at the same time.
I doubt that. I think she's just confused.

Old 01-04-2010, 01:11 PM

1,095 posts, read 4,002,571 times
Not to get us too far off topic, but I don't understand why some are so quick to recommend a reformat and reinstallation of the OS. You see people recommend this for registry errors and slowdowns, and also for new machines to get rid of the bloatware installed by the manufacturer. I've seen people recommend a reformat and reinstall every 2 or 3 months.

I'm not saying this won't solve problems, but for most people it's not a possibility. Of the 5 Windows computers I've purchased over the last decade, none of them came with an actual Windows CD, which means that the best I could do is to restore the OS to the original settings, and in the process reinstall all the bloatware that was on the machine when I bought it. Not to mention the 50 or more gigabytes worth of other programs and data that I want to keep. It may only take a few hours to reinstall an OS, but backing up and reinstalling all the other data would take much, much longer than that. Anyway, rant over.

Old 01-04-2010, 01:17 PM

10,926 posts, read 22,033,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naptowner View Post
Not to get us too far off topic, but I don't understand why some are so quick to recommend a reformat and reinstallation of the OS.
Possibly because they don't know any better or lack the ability to troubleshoot a problem properly

Old 01-04-2010, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Not to get us too far off topic, but I don't understand why some are so quick to recommend a reformat and reinstallation of the OS. You see people recommend this for registry errors and slowdowns, and also for new machines to get rid of the bloatware installed by the manufacturer. I've seen people recommend a reformat and reinstall every 2 or 3 months.

I'm not saying this won't solve problems, but for most people it's not a possibility. Of the 5 Windows computers I've purchased over the last decade, none of them came with an actual Windows CD, which means that the best I could do is to restore the OS to the original settings, and in the process reinstall all the bloatware that was on the machine when I bought it. Not to mention the 50 or more gigabytes worth of other programs and data that I want to keep. It may only take a few hours to reinstall an OS, but backing up and reinstalling all the other data would take much, much longer than that. Anyway, rant over.
While I certainly don't reformat someone's computer at the first hint of a problem, it is often the quickest solution. I've done it so many times that I know exactly what I'm doing and can do it much quicker than someone with less experience. I have to weigh the fact that I know I can fix it in a couple of hours with a reload or I can spend an unknown amount of time chasing gremlins. I've gotten pretty good at quickly figuring out the difference because the last thing I want to do is spend 2 hours chasing my tail, then another 2 reloading after giving up on finding a less destructive solution.

Old 01-04-2010, 02:03 PM

Quote:

I agree with you. My main PC - lasted over six years on an installation of XP Pro without a clean install except for a failed hard drive. I have never had to to do a clean install for a software problem. The system had two motherboard replacements and numerous upgrades over its life. Now it is running Win 7 64 bit (which of course required a clean install).

For a mature system (one running for some time with lots of software installed) I think it takes way longer to do a clean install followed by a reinstall of all applications than it takes to fix the (damn) problem.

Format+reinstall is fast. But what happens after takes a long time. Most people can't find their original software CDs.

Old 01-04-2010, 02:11 PM

16,728 posts, read 15,734,882 times
I've got to disagree. You may be able to install Windows in 2 hours, but you can't get a computer to a good, useful state in that amount of time. I've also done this enough to know what it involves. Install Windows, install all updates, install office suite, acrobat reader, java, flash, antivirus, etc., along with all their updates and restarts, usually takes around 6 hours. Then you have a computer the way it should have come out of the box, ready for the additional tasks to set up email, restore documents, make user accounts, etc. For an experienced tech, it usually takes over a day to get one done this way.

It's a lot easier to fix the problem that brought the machine in, in most cases.

Old 01-04-2010, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
I've got to disagree. You may be able to install Windows in 2 hours, but you can't get a computer to a good, useful state in that amount of time. I've also done this enough to know what it involves. Install Windows, install all updates, install office suite, acrobat reader, java, flash, antivirus, etc., along with all their updates and restarts, usually takes around 6 hours. Then you have a computer the way it should have come out of the box, ready for the additional tasks to set up email, restore documents, make user accounts, etc. For an experienced tech, it usually takes over a day to get one done this way.

It's a lot easier to fix the problem that brought the machine in, in most cases.
I think you and I agree, right?

Old 01-04-2010, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post

6 hours if you've got a heavily configured system. But most people don't have too many programs or data. Everything is in My Docs, email, desktop, favorites. If they have Windows, Office, email/web, and a printer, they're happy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers