Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2010, 09:25 AM

15,395 posts, read 22,515,219 times

Advertisements

I have Comcast Cable as my internet provider. With the McAfee Security Suite I was able to erase my Restore Points after running file backup to my external drive.

Now Comcast is "making" us switch to Norton. While I like some of it's features and speed...I see no option for erasing uneeded Restore Points after I do a backup. Does anyone have any further information on this "problem"; I'm worried my drive will fill up with unnecessary Restore Points.

Any insight from my fellow posters would be much appreciated. THANKYOU! .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2010, 09:39 AM

11,715 posts, read 40,438,984 times
Restore points have nothing to do with backups. One does not replace the other. System Restore only uses a certain percentage of your hard drive so you can't fill it up with restore points. Comcast isn't making you use any specific software. They made a deal with Norton to offer their garbage to millions of users but you're under no obligation to pollute your computer with it. Use Microsoft Security Essentials instead. Its free.

Old 03-20-2010, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Restore points have nothing to do with backups. One does not replace the other. System Restore only uses a certain percentage of your hard drive so you can't fill it up with restore points. Comcast isn't making you use any specific software. They made a deal with Norton to offer their garbage to millions of users but you're under no obligation to pollute your computer with it. Use Microsoft Security Essentials instead. Its free.
You misunderstand me, I never said that restore points have anything to do with backing up files. I used to erase my restore points after backup with McAfee...Norton does not have this feature. My question is/was does Norton do it automatically after I run backup. After I ran backup with McAfee I got...on average 22 GIGS out a week, by erasing uneccessary restore points...you only need to keep the last few...not the hundreds...that I would have by now. At 22 GIGS a week...that's going to fill up my drive and fast!!!!

I am aware of Comcast's deal ...I use various security suites...including Microsoft Essentials....and I know I don't have to use Norton or anything(I'm not that dumb) but it is provided free and I like some of it's features. I run SuperantiSpyware and Malwarebytes and CA spyware also.......I like multiple security...in case one fails...they all play nice together, no problems at all!

Can someone answer my question...How do I erase unnecessary restore points...I assume Norton does not do it after runnung backup.

Old 03-20-2010, 03:30 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,675,571 times
Instead of whining about Norton I'll attempt to help. First I have no idea if Norton does what you ask, but I can tell you how to lower the disk space used by Restore.

You don't mention your OS and I'm running Win7 so I'll give you as generic an answer as possible.

Control Panel/System/

In XP click on the System Restore tab and use the slider to reduce the amount of allowed space.

In Win 7 click on the System Protection Tab and then the Configure button, then use the slider.

This will allow you to keep the amount of disk space used to a reasonable level.

In each there is a place to configure the settings

Old 03-20-2010, 05:31 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,427,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post

Control Panel/System/

In XP click on the System Restore tab and use the slider to reduce the amount of allowed space.

In Win 7 click on the System Protection Tab and then the Configure button, then use the slider.

This will allow you to keep the amount of disk space used to a reasonable level.
I was right, I was right! But I was afraid to post and get it wrong, LOL

::: pats self on back :::

Old 03-21-2010, 09:50 AM

Thanx for the information.

Old 03-21-2010, 11:13 PM

1,688 posts, read 4,297,963 times
Thanks to reply with advice on security system.

My Norton was up and just ended up a free trial with Windows Live OneCare.

Dumped them both and downloaded the "Microsoft Security Essential" after reading this thread.

Looks good for my purposes and it's free.

Thanks EC.

Old 03-22-2010, 02:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Instead of whining about Norton I'll attempt to help. First I have no idea if Norton does what you ask, but I can tell you how to lower the disk space used by Restore.

You don't mention your OS and I'm running Win7 so I'll give you as generic an answer as possible.

Control Panel/System/

In each there is a place to configure the settings
MY Operating System is Windows Vista with Service Pack 2...My browser is Internet Explorer 8...Does this information give you a more definitive insight in how to lower the amount of Restore Points that I accumulate....THANX!...PITTS

Old 03-22-2010, 09:51 AM

11,715 posts, read 40,438,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
MY Operating System is Windows Vista with Service Pack 2...My browser is Internet Explorer 8...Does this information give you a more definitive insight in how to lower the amount of Restore Points that I accumulate....THANX!...PITTS
Using the instructions above, you cap how much disk space Windows will reserve for restore points. If there's no more room, it'll delete older restore points to make room for new ones, just like how the recycle bin works.

Old 03-23-2010, 05:46 AM

THANKYOU Everyone; I was able to pare it down from holding 2 weeks of Restore Points DOWN to only storing 5 days of Restore Points!!!! :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers