Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2010, 02:22 AM

15,912 posts, read 20,189,698 times

Advertisements

If you can, Apple is the way to go.... A windows system (besides my Macbook Pro I have a Windows XP system) One of the big things I looked at was what maintenance is required. Hands down the Mac is a dream compared to a Windows system.

I no longer have to *at least* once a month update my virus/worm/trojan signatures... nor do I have to worry about registry problems, nor do I worry about all the "funny stuff" that happens on a Windows system when loading new software (things being put in autorun without my knowledge etc). And lets be serious here, with Windows one virus scanner just don't cut it, you have to have at least two others to make sure your system is really clean, like Malware Bytes AND Super Anti spyware AND CCcleaner.

I stay away from AV products from Norton/McAffee... they are not very good and they bilk you year after year. Plus they are resource hogs.

As some earlier posts said, it's much more profitable for the bad guys to target a Windows system....

It was hard to swallow how much Apple wants for it's systems but they are well worth it... quality and OS are hands down better than a comparable Windows system.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2010, 09:18 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,493,695 times
Apple makes the best laptops IMO.

Old 10-20-2010, 02:06 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,138,340 times
As a Windows and Mac user, I'm not really swayed by the price issue. If you use your home laptop professionally, then you really need to factor in Cost Of Ownership. Not just in hard costs, but in time spent dinking with your computer. I bill $100/hour. So if I spend an hour trying to upgrade my software, then I've just cost myself $100.

I'm not a Mac fanboy. But since I still use both platforms, I can tell you right now that the amount of time I spend messing with my HP is far, far greater than the time I spend messing with my Mac. I cannot tell you how much more ongoing attention I have to pay to my HP just when it comes to software updates, peripherals, and anything else.

Need an example? I bought a new digital camera a couple of years ago. In order to import photos into my PC, I had to install software and plow through 16 pages of instructions. Want to know what the Mac installations were? "Plug your camera into your Mac." Literally, that was it.

Now, there are certain reasons to have a PC. For example, industry specific software. Or if you gotta play Doom. But if your professional life is spent working in Word, Excel, and PowerPoint, then you will realize far more productivity on a Mac than you will on a PC. Seriously, I have spent more time typing this post than I have spent diddling with my Mac in the past six months. Trust me on this.

Old 11-25-2010, 10:45 AM

1,314 posts, read 3,441,846 times
i have a Apple IMac desktop i will never go back to the windows p.c. platfrom because of the problems with the O.S system and the virus and updateing problems ..

so it worth the money to me in the long run to spend the money on a mac and use it as my personal heavy duty computer ..

Old 11-25-2010, 01:32 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,124,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by henry1 View Post
i have a Apple IMac desktop i will never go back to the windows p.c. platfrom because of the problems with the O.S system and the virus and updateing problems ..

so it worth the money to me in the long run to spend the money on a mac and use it as my personal heavy duty computer ..

The thing is that Windows PC Platform doesn't have problems with the OS, Virii, and updates any more so than any other system out there. They are fairly equal given there is no problem inbetween the keyboard and the chair.

Old 11-28-2010, 06:18 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,024,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
The thing is that Windows PC Platform doesn't have problems with the OS, Virii, and updates any more so than any other system out there. They are fairly equal given there is no problem inbetween the keyboard and the chair.
If you actually believe Windows and OS X are equal, then you are just fooling yourself.

The experience is not even close to being equal. With my Macs I don't need to run virus scans, or defrag my hard drive every week. I have lots of friends who use PCs, and they love them. There is nothing I could say to convince them to switch to a Mac. So I've heard it all: "if you take precautions, you'll never have to worry about a virus on your PC". Yeah, thats the point. With a Mac I don't need to take any precautions.

When I sit down with a friend who has a PC. We both take out our laptops, and push the power buttons at the same time. My MacBook boots up, and I start working. Then I look at my PC friend twiddling his thumbs for the next two minutes, while waiting for all his anti-virus software to loads up. That right there is a good enough reason for me not to use a PC if I can help it.

Yes people who know what they are doing with a PC can keep it running pretty good. And those who don't know what they are doing, their computers start to slow down, and things tend to stop working. With the Mac you don't need to worry one way or the other.

Old 11-28-2010, 06:33 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,124,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
If you actually believe Windows and OS X are equal, then you are just fooling yourself.

The experience is not even close to being equal. With my Macs I don't need to run virus scans, or defrag my hard drive every week. I have lots of friends who use PCs, and they love them. There is nothing I could say to convince them to switch to a Mac. So I've heard it all: "if you take precautions, you'll never have to worry about a virus on your PC". Yeah, thats the point. With a Mac I don't need to take any precautions.

When I sit down with a friend who has a PC. We both take out our laptops, and push the power buttons at the same time. My MacBook boots up, and I start working. Then I look at my PC friend twiddling his thumbs for the next two minutes, while waiting for all his anti-virus software to loads up. That right there is a good enough reason for me not to use a PC if I can help it.

Yes people who know what they are doing with a PC can keep it running pretty good. And those who don't know what they are doing, their computers start to slow down, and things tend to stop working. With the Mac you don't need to worry one way or the other.

For starters, you don't have to defragment a PC anymore. Those who do are just wasting their time.

Second, my PC laptop boots up much quicker than my apple laptops.

PC's running modern Windows OS, with modern hardare (ie SSD, etc) don't slow down over time.

I have nothing against macs, as I love mine. But PCs don't have nearly as many problems as that poster indicated. And they are certainly not slow! Modern PC bootup time is near instant with modern hardware.

Sure, PCs lack some intuitivity, but macs lack software... especially games. Each of them have their ups and downs but neither is better than the other.

Old 11-28-2010, 11:19 PM

3,117 posts, read 4,584,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post

1) Who the hell defrags anymore?
2) If you don't have antivirus, you're a severe liability. You do realize that the only reason Apples are so "secure" is because they have such a small market share, thus making them worthless to code malicious code for, right? I always get a kick out of guys who just go off talking up the joys of Apple who don't realize that if Apple were to gain market share, their primary means of protection would be lost. The "precautions" you need to take with a PC are "don't be a moron with your computer, and exert a little common sense".
3) My guess is you're comparing your $2500 Apple to your friends $400 Dell. You Apple guys always do that. You never compare your $2500 Apple to a $1500 laptop, because at that point the Apple gets smoked in every possible way. There's also the issue that if your friend's machine takes 3 minutes just to load AV, it's probably ancient. My AV software takes about 15 seconds, and that's including the time it takes to contact the home server to see if there are any updates to install.

I mean really, your entire post was "hey, with my Apple I don't have to have any security, so that makes it better". Not only is that a strange argument on its own merits, but it also shows you have a severely huge false sense of security with regards to the Mac platform.

For the record, most of the "holes" in Windows as an OS aren't within the OS at all, they're within the one-off and 3rd party apps that latch on to the OS - the developers write sloppy code, which results in security holes that need to be patched at the OS level. Has nothing to do with Windows itself.

The cold reality is that Apple products cater to a certain kind of user: Someone who doesn't understand technology, can't really be trusted with technology that doesn't have training wheels, but who wants to think or feel as though they are savvy. For that type of user, Apples are great. They're shiny little "magic boxes" that "just work", even if the user has no idea how. For anyone who needs/wants the ability to get under the hood and actually utilize some of a machine's potential, doesn't want to be restricted access to their own device, and who doesn't want training wheels, Apples are a nightmare.

Old 11-29-2010, 10:58 AM

1,594 posts, read 3,056,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanathos View Post
1) Who the hell defrags anymore?
Everyone who uses Windows, at least all of the average Joe's that use Windows.

Old 11-29-2010, 11:23 AM

9,963 posts, read 18,493,695 times
I have to defrag my windows work machine once a week, I have it setup to run as a Scheduled Task. It always states "you need to defrag this volume"...so I do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers