Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2010, 02:28 PM

155 posts, read 552,259 times

Advertisements

Hi Guys,

I was wondering if it's possible to get just plain old telephone service to my house? The reason why i don't want VOIP is because i'm thinking about also installing a security system and i heard VOIP telephone service sometimes messes those systems up.

Anyone know of a provider who can provide non-voip access? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2010, 03:36 PM

3,762 posts, read 5,419,799 times
I don't know what VOIP is, but I believe for telephone you probably want AT&T.

Old 07-26-2010, 09:50 AM

588 posts, read 1,871,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iypoon View Post
Hi Guys,

I was wondering if it's possible to get just plain old telephone service to my house? The reason why i don't want VOIP is because i'm thinking about also installing a security system and i heard VOIP telephone service sometimes messes those systems up.

We have VoIP for the monitoring of our security system - no problem as long as you tell the security provider about it. Depending on the town you live in, your POTS provider will be AT&T or Verizon.

Trish - VoIP is Voice over Internet Protocol, or voice service over an Internet-type connection. Sample services: Cablevision, AT&T Uverse, Verizon FIOS, Vonage, Skype, etc. Check wikipedia for more info. The alternative, POTS, or Plain Old Telephone Service, is the older method of using a basic copper wire to transmit the voice signal.

Old 07-26-2010, 04:21 PM

8,155 posts, read 20,999,179 times
Quote:
Hi Guys,

Stamford is serviced by ATT (SNET), you can easily get a POTS line, just call. Some cable companies are also offering dialtone, not sure who's in Stamford. Any other provider will be a reseller and still using ATT copper, so why bother.

However, for security systems I'm a true beliver in cellular as copper lines can be cut easily which basically disables your alarm. Yes it's more expensive, but if you're getting a security system what good is it, if it can be disabled with a pair of wire snips.

Old 07-27-2010, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
However, for security systems I'm a true beliver in cellular as copper lines can be cut easily which basically disables your alarm. Yes it's more expensive, but if you're getting a security system what good is it, if it can be disabled with a pair of wire snips.
This is especially true with most of CT, where the inbound copper comes in overhead to a box on the side of the house. Takes about 3 seconds, and zap! Another area people usually neglect to take care of is protecting the actual alarm box in the basement. It's pretty easy to pop open a casement window, slide into the basement, and just disconnect the siren (which also should not be on an outside wall, btw). Some have intrusion detection alarms, but those are easily disabled by cutting power to the unit and waiting 15 minutes for the battery backup to run out. Easy fix for this is a motion sensor in the basement - just make sure the sensor covers all angles of approach. Our installer neglected to test from every angle, so I made him re-position the sensor a couple of times to be sure to cover the box completely. Yes, a little obsessive, but if you're going to pay to put something in, do it right. A half-assed security system is basically useless unless you have a moron trying to break in.

Old 07-27-2010, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
Stamford is serviced by ATT (SNET), you can easily get a POTS line, just call. Some cable companies are also offering dialtone, not sure who's in Stamford. Any other provider will be a reseller and still using ATT copper, so why bother.

Yeah, i guess i'll just call AT&T... i want POTS as my primary and cellular as my backup for my security system.

Old 07-27-2010, 08:08 PM

anyone know if optimum online uses voip or POTS for their telephone service?

Old 07-28-2010, 07:25 AM

Quote:
anyone know if optimum online uses voip or POTS for their telephone service?
It's a VoIP service.

Old 07-28-2010, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddb View Post
It's a VoIP service.
Huh, that's weird, i have optimum online's phone service and the phone plugs directly into my phone jack. I thought it has to go through some sort of VOIP adapter first for VOIP service.

Old 07-28-2010, 09:04 AM

8,155 posts, read 20,999,179 times
Quote:
Huh, that's weird, i have optimum online's phone service and the phone plugs directly into my phone jack. I thought it has to go through some sort of VOIP adapter first for VOIP service.
They do things a little different. Many cable companies such as Cox are on a coax cable, and they run the telephone service down the same coax as TV and Internet in a digital format. Then they split it out on the side of your house into an analog signal and run it to your phones. Obviously the cable and internet stays digital.

What Cablevision (Optimum) does is run a hybrid fiber optic cable and then put a VOIP box at your house and tie it into your existing wiring. So at your phone jack, it is analog, but it's a VOIP service at the box in your basement or on the side of the house. If you lose power you lose phone service.

In traditional VOIP service, the phone itself is the "box" that turns the digital signal analog. The handset you pick up is the only analog signal. Optimum just does it at a different point in your house.

Oh and for clarity sake analog is a physical signal - think soundwave. ~ Digital is simply digital packets sent along 0101010 and then translated at the end device. CD vs vinyl record.

HTH

(Boy do I miss playing with Telecom...)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
View detailed profiles of: