Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 06:00 AM

113 posts, read 326,261 times

Advertisements

How many waited to 08/02/10 to pay their auto, boat, etc. tax? I won't give the town the money to the last hour.

I love the double taxation of CT you pay sales tax on purchase and then an yearly fee tax. Income tax you get no write offs (I am past that huge $500 deduction) and a lovely sales tax. I wonder why we are 3rd behind NJ & NY. However NJ has hope with a union buster.

We should all do a Sen. John Kerry. [He bought a $7,000,000 yacht and moors it in RI to escape about $460,000 sales tax and $ 70,000 property tax per year (WSJ 08/02/10 Arther Laffler)].

He is a senior Sen. from MA too. Shows us how to behave. Lets buy $5,000 property in DE and registrar are cars & boats there!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2010, 09:00 AM

1,013 posts, read 911,350 times
Quote:
How many waited to 08/02/10 to pay their auto, boat, etc. tax? I won't give the town the money to the last hour.

I love the double taxation of CT you pay sales tax on purchase and then an yearly fee tax. Income tax you get no write offs (I am past that huge $500 deduction) and a lovely sales tax. I wonder why we are 3rd behind NJ & NY. However NJ has hope with a union buster.

We should all do a Sen. John Kerry. [He bought a $7,000,000 yacht and moors it in RI to escape about $460,000 sales tax and $ 70,000 property tax per year (WSJ 08/02/10 Arther Laffler)].

He is a senior Sen. from MA too. Shows us how to behave. Lets buy $5,000 property in DE and registrar are cars & boats there!
Well if you want all your social programs you are going to have to pay through the nose pretty much.
Blame all the worthless regulations that are passed. Pretty much no point in owning property if they are going to tax it to death.

If you are living in your property it is actually better to have it lower priced than higher unless you want to sell it. Good for you bad for gov and their social programs because they want your tax dollars. I would rather have the housing markets crash more but you know what Gov will get more taxes by increasing somewhere else and then even more screwed.

Simply put they need to cut spending(imo military first then work on social).

If you can please vote Peter Schiff on Aug 10 2010 Republican primary as senator. Linda(fake) and Rob(military) are not good enough for the economy.

Old 08-04-2010, 04:57 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,843,736 times
I don't want to get into a tax\political debate. But, the one thing I always found strange and wasteful with the property tax system in Conn is that it essentially takes 2 govt agencies to administer it. This is how it works.

Pay your property taxes to town\city govt. The state credits you on your income tax return. Why not do away with the property tax & the credit and just have the state govt administer\collect the tax. This would mean the state has to reimburse the town\cities with a higher funding rate as well.

Old 08-04-2010, 05:09 PM

8,155 posts, read 21,022,612 times
Yea...just paid $21,000 in property taxes and have the town after me for other various things they were paid for, yet won't credit because of a technical error. (They are issueing a refund, adding penalties and interest charges)

Did I mention the fine Constable gave me *two* days over a weekend to get my paperwork in order and then filed a Tax Warrant and proceeded to drain both my personal and business accounts? Yes, I'll get the "refund" in about 10 weeks sans about $3000 in fake penalties and interest. Oh yea, this is great.

Did I mention the $7K in federal taxes I have to deal with on top of it?

I think I'll go work for the correctional system and just tow the line...owner my own stuff sucks. That or my new "tag line" will be "cash discounts - even more for gold"

Old 08-04-2010, 06:54 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,843,736 times
I have a friend that opened a call center in Hartford about 15 years ago. (before calling cards were popular) This was a place were people could pay a flat fee for x amount of long distance minutes. This service catered to the spanish community and many of the customers were calling latin countries.

Anyways, the store was open for a couple months and one day some guy walks in with a notebook and pen. Doesn't identify himself nor state why he is there. He just continues taking notes. The employee calls my friend to tell him what's going on.

Come to find out it was a tax appraiser collecting info on all the equipment the store had so it could be taxed. Friend closed the store within 2 weeks.

Old 08-05-2010, 01:20 AM

1,013 posts, read 911,350 times
Quote:
I have a friend that opened a call center in Hartford about 15 years ago. (before calling cards were popular) This was a place were people could pay a flat fee for x amount of long distance minutes. This service catered to the spanish community and many of the customers were calling latin countries.

Anyways, the store was open for a couple months and one day some guy walks in with a notebook and pen. Doesn't identify himself nor state why he is there. He just continues taking notes. The employee calls my friend to tell him what's going on.

Come to find out it was a tax appraiser collecting info on all the equipment the store had so it could be taxed. Friend closed the store within 2 weeks.
Wow i cant believe that. Gov spying on people to collect taxes. Sigh. See where all the money goes harassing people. See why renting is better than owning right now. It is pointless if when housing prices drop and GOV refuse to do mark to market appraisal and want to charge you as much as they can for it.

They will try to fleece anyone with money no matter what.

Imo the city should collect the property tax as it is more local and the more local the gov is the more power it should have because it is where you can have a say rather than the higher ups calling the shots when they know nothing.

Sort of like state vs federal now it is city vs state.

Like we all agree on, almost all of the waste is in gov bureaucracy and they don't care how wasteful it is as it is not their money. If all else fails tax some more.

Old 08-05-2010, 05:13 AM

8,155 posts, read 21,022,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gen811 View Post
Wow i cant believe that. Gov spying on people to collect taxes. Sigh.
Crazy as it sounds it's not spying, it's legal but admittedly a gray area because there is proceedure they are supposed to follow, but never do. They walked right into my shop one day and started doing the same thing. I asked them to leave, and to leave me a declaration form. They realized I knew the deal and complied. This was in Wallingford.

Old 08-05-2010, 06:17 AM

JVIELLO

You run a business like myself in this state of illusion. Imagine if they ran it like a business and not just took and took.

Fairfield County should revolt they pay 48% of tax yet get nothing back. I should be like the old folks in the LIONS. Own property in DE or FL and declare it my residence.

The best is the Volvo/Saab driving liberals with their Vermont plates yet they live and work here. What a juxaposition with their wayward thinking.

JVIELLO is it ctsunshine.org that has all that great info with the retired state people making more than the gov?
If I here one more ingnorant say that it is health insurance cost when was the last time your W-2 had a health insurance line?

Old 08-05-2010, 07:18 AM

2,080 posts, read 4,848,587 times
Quote:
Wow i cant believe that. Gov spying on people
I hear they can hear your phone conversations and read your computer emails, as well.

Oh and never have anything done surgically where they put you to sleep....once you are out cold the government steps in....you never know whats implanted in you...

Old 08-06-2010, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Well if you want all your social programs you are going to have to pay through the nose pretty much.
Blame all the worthless regulations that are passed. Pretty much no point in owning property if they are going to tax it to death.

If you are living in your property it is actually better to have it lower priced than higher unless you want to sell it. Good for you bad for gov and their social programs because they want your tax dollars. I would rather have the housing markets crash more but you know what Gov will get more taxes by increasing somewhere else and then even more screwed.

Simply put they need to cut spending(imo military first then work on social).

If you can please vote Peter Schiff on Aug 10 2010 Republican primary as senator. Linda(fake) and Rob(military) are not good enough for the economy.

Shouldn't get political. FYI Defense spending is one of CT leading industries: General Dynamics, United Tech, etc. In fact on a per capita basis of employment I believe only Virginia is higher. I believe CA has the most employed in it however they are ten times bigger than CT.

Imagine if the nuclear navy sub fleet left Groton? All those jobs and the residual effect. Or if the Coast Gaurd moved their school?

We already are like 47th in Business Friendly so all these jobs are not running to come in. In fact CT paid Gen Dyn & Waste Mgmt 22,000,000 for 1,500 jobs. What a bargain giving $14,667 per job while Pfizer closed its doors here. Bayer left several years ago. The insurance industry is losing jobs too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut