Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2011, 07:17 PM

30 posts, read 64,205 times

Advertisements

I'm planning to start fishing this year, and looking for help in finding some good fishing spots.

Where are some good fishing spots in CT, especially with clean/safe water?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2011, 07:39 PM

576 posts, read 1,218,501 times
I think in most of the state park that has lakes and rivers and I'm sure most of them are cleaned.

I never went fishing, I'm sure somebody gotta know

Old 03-22-2011, 06:58 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,895,809 times
When you buy a fishing permit you'll be given a book that lists most of the rivers/lakes/ponds in Ct., and the type of fish available in each. It will also list fly-fishing/freshwater/boat dock availability/etc. It will even list possible contaminants for each location.

Good luck trying to pry secret fishing spots from fisherpeople, a lot of the time they are closely guarded secrets. But I will be watching this thread all the same.

Old 03-22-2011, 08:37 AM

7 posts, read 24,923 times
All down the sound. Westport has great fishing.

Old 03-22-2011, 10:50 AM

30 posts, read 64,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andthentherewere3 View Post
Good luck trying to pry secret fishing spots from fisherpeople, a lot of the time they are closely guarded secrets. But I will be watching this thread all the same.
Pry?? Who said I am trying to pry?

Old 03-22-2011, 11:57 AM

4,787 posts, read 11,756,499 times
You can download off the internet all the info you need about where to fish, what is stocked where and what not to eat. Google is your friend.

Unfortunately, this I know from family who fish, there is really no clean, truly safe inland water in CT. Having read the " what to eat and what not to eat" pamphlets in the past, virtually everything has a warning on it for " do not eat" or " seldom eat ". It's really pitiful.

The only really safe fish to eat are the various trout species which are hatchery raised and then released. And that is because they get caught before they have time to be contaminated by PCB's.

The Eight Mile River through East Haddam and Lyme is a very popular fishing location in south east CT. It will be trout stocked just prior to opening day and and the fisherman will be out in force on opening day.

Old 03-22-2011, 12:53 PM

21,729 posts, read 28,059,998 times
You going out on a boat or just fishing by dock/pier/shore?

A lot of lakes and rivers have fish you should not eat. For example, Candlewood, Lillononah up by Danbury. Milford has a few nice piers at Gulf Beach and Walnut Beach. Lots of good fishing spots. I see people crabbing at Gulf Pond too on Buckingham Ave.

Mount Tom up by New Milford has some really pristine waters. Lake Waramaug is super nice too. Up near Cornwall, the Houstatonic has some really nice fly fishing.

Not too familiar with the eastern part of the state for fishing, but I'm sure it's fantastic along the coast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut