Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2011, 12:05 PM

1,607 posts, read 3,095,408 times

Advertisements

So the water heater burst a few days ago, leaked for about 2 hours before I noticed and damage control was put into action, but carpet in closet in basement and close to entrance to boiler room soaked. Room with water heater was just plain concrete so that has dried. I would say maybe 10% of basement carpet soaked, rest dry, water never made it that far. I have pulled back as much of the wet carpet as possible, have two fans going, a dehumidifier, and prior to all this I used a wetvac and pulled up about 5 gallons of water out of the carpet. Carpet seems to be drying slowly but surely (very slowly), but basement now stinks, any ideas what to do to get rid of the stink???? Also worried about mold. I'm torn between keeping the basement locked up to let the dehumidifier su k up the evaporating moisture, or open the door and the window and let it air, and shut off the dehumidifier.

What a mess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2011, 01:54 PM

2,394 posts, read 4,093,867 times
Consider hiring a contractor to clean and dry the carpet fully. A contractor can treat it with commercial anti-mold enzyme spray.

Use dehumidifier and/or air conditioner to dry out the air. (I recommend sealing it up; the outside air now is too humid.) Leave lights on (mold grows in the dark). Keep the air moving with fans, too.

Also: if the carpet touches baseboards, check to see if they got wet (underside and back). Should remove them and dry out or replace them. You can seal the bottom and back with shellac or Kilz type products. Check bottom of drywall or paneling for dampness and mold before replacing baseboards.

Full solution: rip up the carpet, get the concrete underneath treated with anti-mold stuff. Then get new carpet. Biggest $, most certain outcome.

Old 07-07-2011, 02:10 PM

8,155 posts, read 21,034,298 times
Yea hi, the forum's resident flood mitigation guy here. I'll DM you my number, not necessarily for business, but at least advice. You're heading for problems quickly if you wait any longer.

Old 07-07-2011, 02:53 PM

35,020 posts, read 57,115,243 times
I was just going to tell you to DM JViello on this but he beat me to it. Jay

Old 07-09-2011, 07:21 AM

1,364 posts, read 4,285,315 times
Did you contact your homeowner's insurance company. I know when this happened to my father, the insurance company paid for a service to come in to clean up, dry out, and also replaced his damaged carpeting as well as repainting.

Old 07-09-2011, 08:59 AM

8,949 posts, read 12,158,472 times
Yes, I agree.. Don't wait another minute. The damage can be mitigated if it's dealt with early enough. Call JViello or another contractor now.

Old 07-09-2011, 11:28 AM

8,155 posts, read 21,034,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
Yes, I agree.. Don't wait another minute. The damage can be mitigated if it's dealt with early enough. Call JViello or another contractor now.
We've been talking on DM, I've given him some information and what to look for...I think he's got it under control.

ctwhitechin, you DID pull that baseboard and inspect right?

Old 07-09-2011, 02:08 PM

Correct looks dry to me, some sheetrock in the boiler room did get wet a little, seems to have dried out. Pulled every inch of carpet up and padding and hauled to dump. Have dehumidifier going, and fans. Stench is 100% gone so that is good I see no moisture feel no moisture basement no longer smells damp, now I have a good excuse to paint basement since no paint will drip on carpet. All that's down there is bare concrete, went the expensive route but I want it done right so when house goes on market soon people will see a nice finished basement. And dry

Old 07-09-2011, 08:28 PM

83,584 posts, read 75,560,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctwhitechin View Post
Correct looks dry to me, some sheetrock in the boiler room did get wet a little, seems to have dried out. Pulled every inch of carpet up and padding and hauled to dump. Have dehumidifier going, and fans. Stench is 100% gone so that is good I see no moisture feel no moisture basement no longer smells damp, now I have a good excuse to paint basement since no paint will drip on carpet. All that's down there is bare concrete, went the expensive route but I want it done right so when house goes on market soon people will see a nice finished basement. And dry
Forgot how high you said the flooding was but I remember I did work in a basement that had 2 feet of water in it. After the flood all they did was pull up the carpet. Long story short they couldnt figure out why the outlets didnt work down there for months. I replaced them because all the terminals on the outlets were rusted.

Not sure how high your flood was but hopefully you dont have low plugs or baseboard heat...or phone wires that got wet.

Old 07-10-2011, 06:07 AM

Oh no nothing like that carpet was wet in some parts, most of basement remained dry, baseboard heat is on opposite side of room water never made it close to there came close to computer etc but never made it there either.

I pulled one wood molding where water seeped underneath between room where water heater leaked and basement closet, appeared very dry. I went the safe route, carpet and padding was very wet and stunk in the area it got wet...so instead of risk mold and trying to dry it out, we ripped it all up and took to dump. Bare DRY concrete floor down there now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut