Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2011, 11:18 PM

160 posts, read 446,878 times

Advertisements

Okay hello, I am moving within a few days and I am looking to buy the following:

Couch
Coffee Table (with glass)
End Table (with glass)
Area Rug (not with glass )

Where should I buy the couch / furniture from? I tried Pilgrim and Lazyboy but they have ZERO black couches on the showroom floor apart from $2500 leather couches.

My kitchen cabinets are black (flat / modern) with stainless steel appliances and my kitchen directly flows into the living room so I will need black furniture.

Does anyone have a idea where I can go shopping for this furniture? I am very picky and have to find something soon (moving in within 2-3 days lol) and I have been looking online, I am fine with buying the coffee / end tables online but not the couch or area rug, as I would like to test them out in person!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2011, 06:50 AM

1,648 posts, read 3,274,012 times
Bob's Furniture, Raymour & Flannigan, Ethan Allen, Pier One, Puritan, Universal Hotel Liquidators, IKEA, Jennifer Convertibles, and Trendsetters are all within 30 minutes, all have furniture you can take home or have delivered in 1-3 days. Craigslist will have the used goods.

Old 08-19-2011, 10:11 AM

392 posts, read 1,539,518 times
not Bob's - horrible quality

Old 08-19-2011, 11:14 AM

21,765 posts, read 28,094,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ987654 View Post
not Bob's - horrible quality
I disagree, it's mixed. They get their furniture from different sources. They're just a reseller. Some is very good for the money and some is junk.

Old 08-19-2011, 11:50 AM

30 posts, read 112,887 times
IKEA is great. They also offer tasty lunch there for a very affordable price.

Old 08-19-2011, 12:06 PM

74 posts, read 299,737 times
If you're looking for a "quick fix," then those companies listed will be fine for what you need. Raymour & Flannigan will ship within three days if they have the pieces in stock.

However, if you're looking for longevity, I have had fantastic luck with Thomasville. They have beautiful leather couches - pick the shape and color of your leather. Takes more than a few days though. Maybe a few weeks.

Also, if you live in Fairfield County, in NYC there is a fantastic furniture broker by the name of M. Katz and Sons. (they have a website, just google them) I highly, highly recommend them. You find the furniture you want - try to get the manufacturer name and the style number - and call them. If they deal with the company, they can get you a great price. I have used them three times now, and I'm about to use them again for DR furniture - I bought Canadel from them in 2002 and I'm ready to update some pieces. I have Lexington furniture in my bedroom - heavy, gorgeously made heirloom stuff - and they saved me 4K. My daughter has Stanley Young America in her bedroom - same thing, I saved about $3,500. There is no shipping and no tax, but you have to wait. I think if you live outside Fairfield County they may deliver but there will be a charge. And you have to wait. Expect 3-4 months. The savings is so great and everyone there - Marty, Neil and Avi - is so knowledgeable you wouldn't help but go back.

I don't know these people - this is just a great endorsement!

Old 08-19-2011, 12:49 PM

160 posts, read 446,878 times
Not really going for longetivity or anything too expensive.

On another note, what color couches would match my kitchen with black cabinets and stainless steel? My floors are light in color. I cannot find a non-leather black couch that I like, that is in my price range.

Old 08-19-2011, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milfordlol View Post
Not really going for longetivity or anything too expensive.

On another note, what color couches would match my kitchen with black cabinets and stainless steel? My floors are light in color. I cannot find a non-leather black couch that I like, that is in my price range.
White, light beige. Contrast is good. Black and black is bad.

Something like this:

KARLSTAD Sofa - Blekinge white - IKEA

Do a darker area rug to contrast against the couch and the light wood floor. That way you have light (floor), dark(rug), and light (sofa). And your 2 focal points (cabinet and sofa) are opposing. Go with a light wood coffee table.

Old 08-19-2011, 02:09 PM

74 posts, read 299,737 times
Any neutral will play nicely off of the stainless/black combo ... anything from a slate blue to pale grey to a dark tan will look nice.

I disagree with doing a white couch (especially leather ), and I also disagree with a black couch. But there you go, everyone has different taste.

I think using black as an accent to give a nod to the kitchen is what you need to do. In some rooms, when I decorate I start with the rug and go from the ground up. I don't know if you like oriental, modern, transitional or traditional, but there's plenty of all those styles that will combine black with the neutral you chose for your sofa.

Again, as with the black cabinets, you don't have to get stainless coffee tables because you have stainless appliances. You can do an antiqued nickel or even a rubbed bronze - one will accent the cabinets, one the appliances - with the glass top and they'll work. (I don't know what the knobs on your cabinets and drawers look like.)

Then you can incorporate maybe a black ottoman or something like that - or black curtain rods (if you have to deal with window treatments) to pick that black up again in little doses. Then when you're in your kitchen looking out, your eye will go to those little pops of black that tie in to the kitchen, without the rest of your open floor plan being dark and matchy-matchy.

Hope that helps!

Old 08-19-2011, 02:40 PM

I didn't realize it was leather. That said, white leather can be nice.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/40139123

I'd have to see the space.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut