Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2011, 06:47 PM

5,036 posts, read 5,137,483 times

Advertisements

My company recently merged with a company in New Jersey. I am staying here to work from home, however, my medical and dental insurance is changing drastically.

I am going from roughly $80/month for medial $4/month for dental to $280/month medical and $60/month dental. This is insane to me and Im not willing to give this much up of my monthly paycheck right now.

I am single and I am looking to opt out of the employee coverage and hoping to find something in Connecticut........dare i say it...............more affordable. I know usually Connecticut and affordable usually dont mix.

Can anyone recommend a place? Ive never had to do this sort of thing on my own and dont know the first thing about it. I spent 9 years in the military where it was taken care of and another 4 where it was under the company and my costs were pretty cheap.

Appreciate any help and guidance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2011, 08:35 PM

34,939 posts, read 56,958,583 times
Our medical plan costs went through the roof last year so I was forced to consider a different option. The plan I have now requires me to pay the first $4,500 of my family's medical expenses out of pocket before the insurance kicks in. This is tied to a medical spending account which I deposit money in every paycheck. The medical spending account pays for the part of the costs not covered by my plan.

So far this type of plan has worked. I went from paying what would have been $750 per month to $75 plus $375 per month into the medical spending account. This is saving me over $3,000 per year. Initially my wife was skepical but the other day she said it seems to be working out and for her to say that means it is good since we have had a number of medical expenses this year.

The reason I am telling you this is that you should consider going with a non-traditional plan. The world of medical insurance is changing and you have to change with it. Talk to your company and see what options there are. Jay

Old 09-14-2011, 05:13 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,902,409 times
The self-employed and individuals looking to purchase health insurance privately don't have many options in this state. Your company's plan looks pretty darn good. For comparison try:

Individual and Family Health Insurance

If you can find a cheaper option, please let me know. Our medical bills and monthly premiums are about to bankrupt us. We are paying over $700 a month in premiums with a $10,000.00 family deductible. Another option for you is to look into Charter Oak Health plan through the state. For one person the monthly premium is over $400 but the deductible varies with income. That cost has spiked dramatically, last year I remember reading the premium was $309 and I don't think there was a deductible. It is getting almost impossible for the self-employed or individual to get affordable insurance, which is only going to hurt the economy further.

Charter Oak Health Plan

Old 09-14-2011, 05:26 AM

8,155 posts, read 21,008,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucsLose View Post
My company recently merged with a company in New Jersey. I am staying here to work from home, however, my medical and dental insurance is changing drastically.

I am going from roughly $80/month for medial $4/month for dental to $280/month medical and $60/month dental. This is insane to me and Im not willing to give this much up of my monthly paycheck right now.

I am single and I am looking to opt out of the employee coverage and hoping to find something in Connecticut........dare i say it...............more affordable. I know usually Connecticut and affordable usually dont mix.

Can anyone recommend a place? Ive never had to do this sort of thing on my own and dont know the first thing about it. I spent 9 years in the military where it was taken care of and another 4 where it was under the company and my costs were pretty cheap.

Appreciate any help and guidance.
Well, to be honest you've had some pretty good benefits up till now that most in the private sector don't see so while $280 may seem like a shock, it's actually pretty damned good.

When I was your age, I just chose to opt out and paygo for my basic needs and had a "catastrophic" plan for backup.

Once we are forced to participate and can't opt out, I'm not sure what will happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Our medical plan costs went through the roof last year so I was forced to consider a different option. The plan I have now requires me to pay the first $4,500 of my family's medical expenses out of pocket before the insurance kicks in. This is tied to a medical spending account which I deposit money in every paycheck. The medical spending account pays for the part of the costs not covered by my plan.

So far this type of plan has worked. I went from paying what would have been $750 per month to $75 plus $375 per month into the medical spending account. This is saving me over $3,000 per year. Initially my wife was skepical but the other day she said it seems to be working out and for her to say that means it is good since we have had a number of medical expenses this year.

The reason I am telling you this is that you should consider going with a non-traditional plan. The world of medical insurance is changing and you have to change with it. Talk to your company and see what options there are. Jay
I was going to mention the very thing you just did. Good info.

Honestly, what you have is IMHO how insurance is supposed to work. We pay for the sniffles, sprains and basic doctor needs and have insurance backup for major illness.

I'm about to go this route myself. We have coverage through my wife's employer but the plan really sucks. Paying $600.00 per month, and then getting a $1500 bill from a basic emergency room visit for a newborn based on the doctors referral on a weekend for congestion is a bit...um, rediculous?

Quote:
Originally Posted by andthentherewere3 View Post
The self-employed and individuals looking to purchase health insurance privately don't have many options in this state.
No to get all political, but you hit on a key point. Why in the insurance capital of the world are my options to limited vs say Texas or Florida?

Why, why would the state legislature think it good to eliminate options for the guy swinging a hammer or running a small tech company? There are plans nationwide that are pretty attractive...when I call: "Sorry we can't sell this plan in your state". Huh?

I hate to think the obvious, but it seems...obvious. They want to force us into either a uber expensive plan that benefits the insurance company (Crony capitalism) or make the case to further a state sponsored universal plan...perhaps both as it seems even the "state" plans use one of the major carriers. That's all I can come up with.

Old 09-14-2011, 05:14 PM

83,520 posts, read 75,333,969 times
Dental - Careington Dental Discount Plan
$11 a month for 2 people which includes vision. Its a discount plan. Usually 50% off the bill. Lots of Dentists accept Careington now. Had it for years. Its great.

Old 09-14-2011, 08:23 PM

5,036 posts, read 5,137,483 times
Thanks for the replies. Im gonna do a bit of research on it and see if I can find something that could possible save me a little.

Cambium, I will look in to that, thank you.

Its a shame really. I know some say I have a good deal but it sure doesnt seem like compared to what I had. Is part of the problem that there is no competition?

Old 09-14-2011, 09:31 PM

8,155 posts, read 21,008,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucsLose View Post
Is part of the problem that there is no competition?
Quite the opposite IMO...they are not allowed to compete due to so much government regulation and laws at the state level. That's not all that's driving it by any stretch, but as I mentioned there are many great plans nationwide I can not take part in living in CT due to the laws/regulations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut