Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2016, 07:12 PM

16 posts, read 59,119 times

Advertisements

Hey all,

Hoping to get some input on my situation. I am a young professional in my late 20s that will pick up a new job in the Bridgeport area. Not married, but hope to settle down real soon. I will have a steady income in the range of $175-190k/yr before any taxes. I am financially sound with all student debts paid off while still contributing a healthy amount to my retirement accounts.

Now that I will be moving on to a new job, I'm trying to decide whether or not it will be worthwhile to move from NYC to CT for my new job.

If I continue to live in NYC:
Cons:
(1) Being taxed by federal gov, state gov, and city gov (NYC).
(2) Commute 100 mi/day (round trip) between home and work. Perhaps being the reverse commute, this will ease the pain..

Pros:
(1) No need to pay any major expenses (rent). I only chip in for some utilities and other bills. I live with my family right now.

If I do decide to move, I see Stamford as the ideal location to move to. Nice city, everything is there, close to the I-95 for my commute to work and back to NYC on my off days. How realistic would it be for me to afford a property in Stamford? I don't need anything lavish, just a 1 bedroom apt and safe area will suffice. I can't really imagine myself renting when I ought to save and be able to buy/mortgage something.

Any advice appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2016, 07:31 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,834,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xdriv3 View Post
Hey all,

Hoping to get some input on my situation. I am a young professional in my late 20s that will pick up a new job in the Bridgeport area. Not married, but hope to settle down real soon. I will have a steady income in the range of $175-190k/yr before any taxes. I am financially sound with all student debts paid off while still contributing a healthy amount to my retirement accounts.

Now that I will be moving on to a new job, I'm trying to decide whether or not it will be worthwhile to move from NYC to CT for my new job.

Cons:
(2) Commute 100 mi/day (round trip) between home and work. Perhaps being the reverse commute, this will ease the pain..

Pros:
(1) No need to pay any major expenses (rent). I only chip in for some utilities and other bills. I live with my family right now.

If I do decide to move, I see Stamford as the ideal location to move to. Nice city, everything is there, close to the I-95 for my commute to work and back to NYC on my off days. How realistic would it be for me to afford a property in Stamford? I don't need anything lavish, just a 1 bedroom apt and safe area will suffice. I can't really imagine myself renting when I ought to save and be able to buy/mortgage something.

Any advice appreciated!
I do not think there is a reverse commute along I-95 anymore. Others here can elaborate on that though since I don't live in that part of the state.

I'm more curious to know what type of job pays someone who is under 30 years old 175k plus per year ? The youngest doctors I've ever met have been around age 35. (this is in private practice) ER doctors could be different.

Old 04-08-2016, 07:44 PM

16 posts, read 59,119 times
I'm close enough to being 30, does that count? =) 175k for a physician salary is actually in the lower range... But that discussion is for another thread.

Old 04-08-2016, 07:58 PM

1,586 posts, read 2,148,982 times
This seems like a really easy question. You're almost 30, you have no debt, your income places you in around the top 5 percent of households nationwide (and that's households, not individuals). People your age live with family because they can't afford to do anything else. That's not an issue for you, so move to Connecticut. There'd be a stronger case for New York if you valued big-city life highly, but you didn't even mention that, and even if you had, the move is still the obvious choice.

Old 04-08-2016, 10:54 PM

9,911 posts, read 7,699,445 times
Quote:
Hey all,

Cons:

Pros:

Any advice appreciated!

If your making that much a year you can live anywhere in CT you want doors are wide open. You can rent some crazy ridiculous place in Stamford or Norwalk. Or you can rent cheap in nice area's like Fairfield that are quiet. I mean your rent for a 1 bdrm can range from $800 to $3K depending where you go.

Old 04-08-2016, 11:13 PM

2,333 posts, read 1,489,213 times
If you could handle the commute given your hours (seems like they'd be long with that salary), I'd just stay in NYC simply because it's a great place to be young and have money. Especially if you're still single. At the very least, I'd try it out for awhile before making a move.

That said, if you were set on Stamford, I think you might as well just buy a place rather than rent. You certainly make enough to afford a very nice condo or house in Stamford.

Old 04-09-2016, 09:52 AM

163 posts, read 240,594 times
I would move.

I would not even consider that daily commute unless there was some reason I *had* to. Like having to stay with family for money reasons, trying to keep my kids in a particular school district, having to care for another family member, etc. It doesn't seem like any of these conditions apply to you, so to me the move in a no-brainer. You can always go back if you hate it.

As far as being young with money and able to have fun in the city, that is a valid point. But if you spend so much time commuting, you won't be really going out during the week anyways and you could always go into the city on weekends whenever you want.

Old 04-09-2016, 11:01 AM

138 posts, read 116,316 times
I would look at Fairfield, its a nicer town and the train ride to NYC is only an extra half hour.

Old 04-09-2016, 11:20 AM

4,454 posts, read 3,349,947 times
Quote:
Hey all,

Cons:

Pros:

Any advice appreciated!
I was born and raised in Stamford. I moved to Trumbull in my 30's when my husband and I wanted a house, good schools etc. I loved being a teenager and young adult in Stamford. Me, my friends and cousins had so much fun in Stamford it is almost hard to quantity it. If you miss NYC it is just a short train ride away. With your salary you can buy a house or condo in a good area. I have a friend of mine who is single (again) and he still lives in Stamford in a condo (Harbor Drive in Shippan) that has boat docks. He has a boat and he is still having a good time. When I read his FB posts I get jealous. He might make more money than you because he is a wall street guy but I think you probably can have that kind of lifestyle.

Old 04-10-2016, 09:56 AM

2,152 posts, read 3,398,152 times
I think it depends on what type of lifestyle you are looking to live and what types of things you like doing for fun? I found that people in the city area were a lot more open to meeting other people since everyone is in the same situation versus Stamford where a lot of people stick to the same groups of friends they've grown up with, but thats just personal opinion. I do miss having a car though down in NYC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut