Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-26-2011, 08:31 AM

14 posts, read 58,494 times

Advertisements

I have always been under the impression that Greenwich public schools were great. However, when I look at them under one of the school rating sites, they don't even seem to be "good/fine" (I know that is subjective). I am not sure if i reading it correctly, and not sure what to compare it too. Does anybody have any opinions, views or facts they can share about greenwich public schools? I am particularly interested in elementary.

If I move to greenwich, it would be in the section that is affordable for me... which is the south west areas with houses in the 550-650k range.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2011, 08:36 AM

21,621 posts, read 31,207,908 times
They are fine and I wouldn't hesitate to send my kids there. Greenwich is a very diverse, large town. You'll notice the schools perform better in the smaller districts.

Old 10-26-2011, 11:28 AM

34,937 posts, read 56,945,109 times
I always find these national school rating articles/websites to be questionable in the criteria they use to make judgements. Often they give high marks to magnet or charter schools that are able to only select the best students from a large region. They will also look at students in Advanced Placement courses which are needed for good students in poor performing schools but not in well performing schools.

I can tell you that Greenwich students perform well above the State averages on the Connecticut Mastery and Connecticut Academic Performance Tests. The class sizes are generally small (under 21 students per class) and the town offers great facilities (well maintained buildings, many comuters, up to date books, teacher training, etc.). Based on this I would say the schools are excellent.

Believe me, people would not be paying $1 million + for basically modest homes if the schools were not good. Jay

Old 10-26-2011, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Believe me, people would not be paying $1 million + for basically modest homes if the schools were not good. Jay
Agreed. It's a very progressive community.

Old 10-26-2011, 12:03 PM

2,643 posts, read 2,624,013 times
Ignore most of those lists. Schools factor in every student when doing these rankings. Greenwich is more diverse than people think, also. So not everyone is from a super wealthy, education oriented household. Plus as Jay said, charters and magnets select their kids and just the fact that the parent made the necessary moves to apply to the school makes a difference.

I look at test scores this way: The scores at my kids' school are okay. My kid's test scores are terrific. I can only do something about my kids.

Old 10-26-2011, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMSS View Post
I look at test scores this way: The scores at my kids' school are okay. My kid's test scores are terrific. I can only do something about my kids.

Old 10-27-2011, 11:37 AM

14 posts, read 58,494 times
great, thanks all. that was helpfull.
now... anybody here speaking from experience of living in greenwich?

Old 10-27-2011, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandeeno View Post
great, thanks all. that was helpfull.
now... anybody here speaking from experience of living in greenwich?
I lived in the Cos Cob section of Greenwich.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut