Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2012, 09:11 AM

5 posts, read 14,741 times

Advertisements

It looks like I will get a position in Stamford CT - we are looking for a school district for my boys - one is a typical - Kindergarten - and the other is a special needs 2nd grader - on the autism spectrum - He has been mainstreamed here in PA - he is in learning support 40% of the day and the remaing time with his peers and his 1:1 TSA.
We need to find a home in a great school district for both - I prefer a smaller class size if posssible. I know I need to commute - would like something less than 45 mins one way if possible. We could spend up to $850k or so on a home and it would be great if it came with a little land too...
Does anyone have any advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2012, 09:30 AM

1,031 posts, read 2,447,119 times
Contact Giant Steps in Southport: Giant Steps School | American Institute for Neuro-Integrative Development (AIND) | Southport, Connecticut | Home

Old 06-13-2012, 01:10 PM

34,918 posts, read 56,910,251 times
So you know, the Stamford area is one of the most expensive parts of the country. Its suburbs are among the wealthiest and most desirable. The adjacent towns, Greenwich, Darien and New Canaan, are very nice with excellent schools but $850,000 will likely get you only a modest home there. Wilton seems to have some nice homes in that price range and the schools are also excellent so that may be an option. Also consider Weston, Westport, Fairfield, Ridgefield, Easton and Redding. They are a bit further away but you will get more home for your money though Westport is [probably close to the others in cost. Jay

Old 06-13-2012, 04:43 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,856,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
So you know, the Stamford area is one of the most expensive parts of the country. Its suburbs are among the wealthiest and most desirable. The adjacent towns, Greenwich, Darien and New Canaan, are very nice with excellent schools but $850,000 will likely get you only a modest home there. Wilton seems to have some nice homes in that price range and the schools are also excellent so that may be an option. Also consider Weston, Westport, Fairfield, Ridgefield, Easton and Redding. They are a bit further away but you will get more home for your money though Westport is [probably close to the others in cost. Jay
I just wanted to note that a former colleague of mine expressed very serious concerns over the education that his child was receiving in Wilton's special ed program. Wilton does have an exceptional reputation for "regular" students. I would suggest that the OP do their due diligence on the special ed program though.

Old 06-13-2012, 04:46 PM

21,618 posts, read 31,189,915 times
I've actually heard amazing things about Masuk's special education program in Monroe. No firsthand experience though.

Old 06-13-2012, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
I've actually heard amazing things about Masuk's special education program in Monroe. No firsthand experience though.
What's really fascinating is that Monroe is usually around the bottom of the list in per pupil $$$ expenditures.

Old 06-13-2012, 04:54 PM

21,618 posts, read 31,189,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
What's really fascinating is that Monroe is usually around the bottom of the list in per pupil $$$ expenditures.
So does Pomperaug I think (in Southbury). Sometimes those are the best districts.

Old 06-14-2012, 12:17 PM

235 posts, read 783,287 times
Both our children (3 & 5) are on the spectrum and receive special services in the Stratford shool system. Its not the best, but way better than a lot of people might have you believe. The budgetary allocation per child is far higher than many neighboring towns, including Trumbull, Milford, Shelton and Orange. None of these make sense if you are going to work in Stamford, but therapists for our boys have always spoken highly of the Fairfield and Westport school systems, especially Fairfield. You might want to visit their board of education office and make some enquiries.

Old 06-14-2012, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nish2006 View Post
Both our children (3 & 5) are on the spectrum and receive special services in the Stratford shool system. Its not the best, but way better than a lot of people might have you believe. The budgetary allocation per child is far higher than many neighboring towns, including Trumbull, Milford, Shelton and Orange. None of these make sense if you are going to work in Stamford, but therapists for our boys have always spoken highly of the Fairfield and Westport school systems, especially Fairfield. You might want to visit their board of education office and make some enquiries.
In light of the above post, i'd suggest the OP start their home search in Fairfield.

Old 06-14-2012, 01:24 PM

21,722 posts, read 28,059,998 times
The really well-performing districts tend to focus their efforts on, well, the well-performing students.

I've also heard good things about Brookfield's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut