Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2012, 01:54 PM

910 posts, read 2,331,439 times

Advertisements

I'm giving my son my car, which is titled in FL, but he's going to move to CT and take the title with him and register it in his new state. So what do I put on the FL title as far as the cost since I gave it to him, do I indicate $0 dollars, or do I write something like "gift" on that line? I want to make sure I get it right because I know it's a pain if you happen to mess up a title.

Also, since the title is in both mine and my wife's name, but has "OR" in between it as opposed to "AND", then all it needs is just one of our signatures to sign it over to him, not both, right? Do I need to sign it in the presence of someone at the CT DMV (which means I have to go up there with him)? Or can I sign it over to him ahead of time, therefore not necessarily having to make the trip?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2012, 02:16 PM

856 posts, read 2,015,197 times
You shouldn't need to put $1...if you do he'll still be responsible for taxes as you can't intentionally devalue an automobile. when he registers in ct the ct title/DMV laws will apply. Check the ct.gov/DMV website for details on family transfer of title.

Old 07-20-2012, 04:03 AM

910 posts, read 2,331,439 times
Well we went through it and the lady at the DMV just had me sign on the seller's line and my son signed on the buyer's line. She told us us we didn't even have to put a value or "gift" on the price line or even note the odometer reading and seller address (left all that blank) even though it asks for all that on the title probably because it's over 10 years old and I just had to put "father to son" for the reason on the tax exemption line on the registration application.

Last edited by ngrome; 07-20-2012 at 04:14 AM..

Old 07-20-2012, 04:59 AM

1,463 posts, read 3,266,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ngrome View Post
Well we went through it and the lady at the DMV just had me sign on the seller's line and my son signed on the buyer's line. She told us us we didn't even have to put a value or "gift" on the price line or even note the odometer reading and seller address (left all that blank) even though it asks for all that on the title probably because it's over 10 years old and I just had to put "father to son" for the reason on the tax exemption line on the registration application.
This is good to know but wonder what happens when he has to pay his car taxes with his local city hall? How does the city know he even has this car to tax unless the DMV tells them??

Old 07-20-2012, 05:47 AM

4,787 posts, read 11,759,960 times
The DMV will tell the town/ city of the transfer. Then the town/ city tax assessor will note the the year, make & model of the car. Based upon the resource book of car values that they use to value cars, they will prepare a tax bill and send it to the owner. The dollar amount used for transfer at the DMV has no part in
the computation of the the tax bill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut