Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2012, 10:35 AM

543 posts, read 1,900,985 times

Advertisements

Unfortunately, like anything you say to a group there will be those who need to hear the extreme consequences and those who don't. There are always those kids who will push the limit and do not have good role models at home. And it is not always apparent at the onset of the school year which kids need to hear this speech and which do not.

My kids could care less if they were told the cops were going to be called if they name call or worse because they would not bully another child, but believe me there are most likely many kids who do need to hear this. Remember also that a lot of teachers and administrators try to "set the tone" at the beginning of the year. If you have ever taught in a classroom you would know why.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2012, 10:40 AM

168 posts, read 275,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
What?

I am so sorry that Political Correctness has effected you ability to torture and bully other kids. I'm sure you're disappointed that your ability to abuse homosexuals is being curtailed.
No straight-o-phobic; I mean what ever you say these days offends something. Like it appears you hate what ever I say when ever I print and have a problem blaming on others that don't share your few as you swore the Tea Partiers were dumping nazi signs in Fairfield yet your Occupy Wall Street crowd blames the Jews for the financial meltdown but we never heard that from you.

Last edited by gilfman; 09-01-2012 at 11:28 AM..

Old 09-01-2012, 03:10 PM

811 posts, read 1,739,055 times
At first thought, calling the cops over kids calling each other names does seem like a bit much.

However, bullying has been getting a lot of attention recently as it's believed to have been the cause of quite a few child suicides. Many have made national news.

Calling the police is serious. But so is bullying/suicide; you're messing with someone's life outside the classroom, even if everything occurs within the school, it is carried home with the victim. I'm still not sure if it's the appropriate action. But I won't say it's uncalled for, I think it should be a tool in the toolbox depending on the situation. The goal should be to make everyone understand what's at risk here, and do whatever needs to be done to achieve that understanding.

Old 09-01-2012, 04:01 PM

9 posts, read 15,349 times
Children should not be bullied, period. This should be taught by parents. Then, taken up with the school if need be. But, threatening with the police, quite honestly, made a lot of the children roll their eyes. And aggressive behavior comes out in different ways. A boy in our district got in school suspension last year for touching girls and pushing one and trying to kiss her. This seems to have been glossed over, but really in the same category as bullying. Too much focus on the word "gay". How about the golden rule: treat others as you would like to be treated.

And, kidyankee, for someone that is anti-bullying, you have quite a sarcastic way about you!

Old 09-01-2012, 06:27 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,137,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gilfman View Post
No straight-o-phobic; I mean what ever you say these days offends something.
No. But much of what you say seems to.

Quote:
Like it appears you hate what ever I say when ever I print and have a problem blaming on others that don't share your few as you swore the Tea Partiers were dumping nazi signs in Fairfield yet your Occupy Wall Street crowd blames the Jews for the financial meltdown but we never heard that from you.
If I could determine what your point was I'd try to make a cogent response. I never heard anyone in the occupy movement blaming Jews. I also didn't support anything the movement did that was against the law, including damaging private property. I also never heard anything about nazi Tea partiers or signs in Fairfield. Not too mention all of this is entirely irrelevant.

You seem to want to excuse bullying. That's an absurd position for an adult to take. Simple, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut