Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 08:07 PM

11 posts, read 35,195 times

Advertisements

Hi
I currently live in Milford and desperately need to move into a bigger house. I have three children and space in our small Cape just doesn't work anymore. We started looking in Milford and Orange but then several people we talked to stated that Orange does not have the down to earth sort of people that Milford has nor is it as diverse as Milford. I'm hispanic and my kids are 1/2 hispanic. Would this really be a problem? I had never heard anything negative about Orange until now. I certainly wouldn't mind staying in Milford but you seem to get more land for your money in Orange. Can anyone tell me the real deal? Would greatly appreciate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2008, 07:02 AM

53 posts, read 257,589 times
Hi

Yea , you will get more land for your money. But Orange is more conservative then Milford and one of the fact is that they are not as adaptable to change as Milford is. I would say Milford is very competitive in terms of getting new businesses, having diverse school base.Orange school district is slightly better then Milford , but then you won't see much diversity there, its a very "old school" kind of town, if you know what i mean...yes you will get a more land for your $,but think about the septic swege system before you buy the house...lot of ppl buy the house in the Orange without thinking about this, end up not likeing it...believe me its a great town, Also, Milford is trying to keep its home owners tax burden low by attracting more businesses, while Orange is loosing business, and one gets a feeling that they are not as business Friendly. Think about the Stew Lendords that was proposed but has never taken off the ground....because Orange residents oppose it. Milford has been consistenly attracting new businesses . Again Orange is a great town, but there are reasons why your getting more for your buck!

PS. I am a Milford resident myself and would not have any other way. I had a chocie between two about 2 years ago , and i picked Milford.

HTH,CoolStrom

Old 04-11-2008, 07:11 AM

34,947 posts, read 56,970,098 times
Orange is a more upscale town than Milford. The schools are excellent and there are many beautiful neighborhoods to choose from. I do not necessarily think you get more for your money in Orange though, in fact I believe that Orange is pricer (JMHO). As for fitting in, it hard to say if you will or not. Milford is more diverse so you will most likely fit in easier than Orange. Good luck with your choice. Jay

Old 04-11-2008, 08:04 AM

3,484 posts, read 9,423,184 times
Agreed. The schools in Orange are better, but it isn’t like Milford has bad schools to begin with. You get much more bang for your buck in Milford in regards to housing costs. Diversity is seriously lacking in Orange…not to say you’d have a problem there per se, but it is a VERY white town.

Old 04-11-2008, 08:14 AM

53 posts, read 257,589 times
Mels!

Right on the Money! Milford schools are better then average , but Orange seriously is lacking diversity and its very "OLD-SCHOOL". Orange schools are better ...i agree with that. I'd rather send my kids in a more diverse town where he/she would know about other races and learn to be able to adept with this ecosystem of ours:-), but that's just me!

Happy Friday,

CoolStrom.

Old 04-13-2008, 02:59 PM

11 posts, read 35,195 times
Thanks for the input. I think I need to spend more time in Orange before I can decide if it is where I want to be.

Old 08-12-2008, 09:00 AM

2 posts, read 9,659 times
The schools are better in Orange and the town is more pricey overall. I would look into some homes in Milford near the beaches, too. If you like living near the water, there are some really nice parts of Milford on the water. Those areas have a lot of value as well.

Old 08-12-2008, 09:17 PM

578 posts, read 2,098,954 times
1) What would you say the split is in Orange/Milford of NY to BOS fans?
-Is it really different from Trumbull/Startford?

2) Where do most people work?
-New Haven/Norwalk/Stamford/NYC?

Old 08-13-2008, 05:58 AM

1,231 posts, read 2,689,121 times
ummmm blue???nothing personal really.... but I was wondering????
Why are we seeing sports interjected into almost every one of your posts? The OP wants to know if her family will be happy in Orange, will the kids feel accepted or singled out, etc.

I didn't see where the question was ~ what team is your neighbor going to root for???? Why is this the main question asked about/polled about, and start new threads about on this forum? Isn't there a sports forum for your sports questions? can we keep our posts here more on topic???
...but for your polling stats.... I personally don't care for sports, I understand full well that a lot people like them...I just don't care to read sports stats, watch games, or judge people for wearing blue or red caps on their heads... maybe people are more complex and interesting beyond the color of their ballcap?

For the OP, we looked at Orange before buying, and could not understand the real reason for it being higher priced. We saw a RRanch that was a real fixer upper listed in the low 400's. The flipper that was selling it said he'd put 30K into it so no negotiations, it still had 30K+ of work to do ie: cracked foundation floor under peeling linoleum in the downstairs, completly broken concrete patio slab from the walk out which was the sole support of the upper deck, the crawl space under the stairs had broken concrete and the inside stairs themselves had sunk a 1/2 inch.
He tried to argue that the neighborhood made his broken home worth what his neighbors homes were worth... Sorry being in Orange wasn't worth the price tag for that house...

Old 08-13-2008, 11:28 PM

527 posts, read 1,282,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mels View Post
Agreed. The schools in Orange are better, but it isn’t like Milford has bad schools to begin with. You get much more bang for your buck in Milford in regards to housing costs. Diversity is seriously lacking in Orange…not to say you’d have a problem there per se, but it is a VERY white town.

I agree with you, it is VERY white.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut