Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Has Your Street Been Plowed Yet?
Yes! 21 65.63%
Nope! 11 34.38%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2013, 07:19 AM

21,621 posts, read 31,215,012 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by andthentherewere3 View Post
I can't believe some people still haven't seen a plow.
It's pretty nuts.

Everyone in the neighborhood is taking turns walking up to Pine Orchard Rd and being picked up by someone to get food.

Did I say I was ready for Spring?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2013, 07:46 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,902,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
It's pretty nuts.

Everyone in the neighborhood is taking turns walking up to Pine Orchard Rd and being picked up by someone to get food.

Did I say I was ready for Spring?
That is really scary, in case of an emergency. Thankfully you guys are able to get food.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
The oddest was the normally very busy Stop & Shop gas station on Main Street in Glastonbury. It had not been touched and was obviously closed. Stop & Shop normally is so on top of things like that. They must have lost $$$ not being opened. Jay
S & S here opened Saturday. They are taking advantage of the storm, yesterday we paid $3.89 for a half gallon of milk. They said the price was due to the shortage of milk. Unbelievable.

Old 02-11-2013, 08:22 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,788,282 times
Stop and Shop was closed yesterday - anyone who expected to get food there, would've risked their lives for nothing. I'm hearing Universal Drive in North Haven is still a disaster area.

What astounds me, is all these people demanding to be plowed out of their streets yesterday (today's different - but yesterday?). I mean, where did they expect to GO? Nothing was opened, because the private contractors can't get every commercial or office parking lot, there just aren't enough of them - and many of them were more focused on getting their own streets plowed so their families didn't have to wait for the city. Which - brings us back to the beginning - where did they think their families were going to GO, if everything was closed?

Old 02-11-2013, 08:29 AM

627 posts, read 1,058,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
What astounds me, is all these people demanding to be plowed out of their streets yesterday (today's different - but yesterday?). I mean, where did they expect to GO?
From past storms, I think people are used to their street being unplowed and messy, but main streets being fine and clear and businesses on those streets being fine. And it's not like people trapped in their houses can really see what the situation really is.

Old 02-11-2013, 08:31 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,788,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smackfu View Post
From past storms, I think people are used to their street being unplowed and messy, but main streets being fine and clear and businesses on those streets being fine. And it's not like people trapped in their houses can really see what the situation really is.
15 years ago I would've agreed. But North Haven customers didn't lose power - so anyone with internet access, still had internet access. Wireless was working fine, so anyone with a cell phone still had a cell phone. Same with tablets, ipads, e-readers, and any other access to the web and family and friends. Only the very rare individual who doesn't own a cell OR a computer OR a TV OR other access to news and internet, would have been unable to know what to expect once they got to any public roads.

Old 02-11-2013, 05:34 PM

442 posts, read 456,060 times
We had one plow width plowed out on Saturday afternoon. But living on a cul-de-sac meant having to clear another 15 feet or so to get to the single plowed out lane. It wasn't until this afternoon that a payloader cleared the entire cul-de-sac and the intersections.

I think they did a great job. My wife offered the plow drivers coffee on Friday and they offered to plow us out. She said no, she knew they were busy, and that I would clear it! Awesome!

Old 02-11-2013, 06:55 PM

Alright. I'm over it. Where's the plow. LOL...

Old 02-11-2013, 07:11 PM

66 posts, read 150,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Stop and Shop was closed yesterday - anyone who expected to get food there, would've risked their lives for nothing. I'm hearing Universal Drive in North Haven is still a disaster area.

What astounds me, is all these people demanding to be plowed out of their streets yesterday (today's different - but yesterday?). I mean, where did they expect to GO? Nothing was opened, because the private contractors can't get every commercial or office parking lot, there just aren't enough of them - and many of them were more focused on getting their own streets plowed so their families didn't have to wait for the city. Which - brings us back to the beginning - where did they think their families were going to GO, if everything was closed?
I'm in an apartment complex in Milford. Saturday we basically couldn't get out of the building, entrances were walled up with snow, and most cars were fully buried. By Sat night property management had, first a bobcat, then when that got stuck, a large front loader to pull it out and start relocating snow... Sun morning many residents were out shoveling out what they could of their cars. we were able to borrow a shovel, and when we could get a car free enough, drove to the cvs, which was open, to buy a couple more shovels to use and share. it looked like at least some of the mall, and outer stores (starbucks, chipolte) were open.

There were still no sidewalks plowed before lunch today, other than the L-shape from Cafe Atlantique to Seven Seas, but at either end you dead-ended into a wall of snow, and had to walk in the street to get anywhere. Looked like the crew was working in front of the library at the time. Hopefully some walks are cleared for tomorrow's commute.

Old 02-11-2013, 07:21 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,951,875 times
I finally got out today and took a drive around. The roads in Fairfield are in pretty decent shape. Not perfect, but reasonably passible.

I had to pick my brother up in Bridgeport, on the North End. He lives only one block from the town line, but it might as well have been on the other side of the moon. The condition of the streets in Bridgeport is deplorable. Even the main roads are a disaster. I'm not sure what those yoyos are doing over there, but it seems that nothing is done.

I just got back from trying to drop off some food for my cousin in Black Rock. I was to meet her on her corner (her street isn't plowed) but I found it nearly impossible to get there. Luckily I ran into her son while I was trying to get there. He was on foot, so he took the food to her.

Bridgeport has some really gross incompetence going on. It's an absolute mess after 3 whole days.

Old 02-11-2013, 08:15 PM

WOOHOO! We've been cleared!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut