Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2013, 11:05 AM

15 posts, read 21,592 times

Advertisements

We are moving to New Haven in about a month and I have narrowed down our rentals a little bit. I was hoping someone could give me advice on these addresses. How are the neighborhoods?

985 QUINNIPIAC AVE
76 Ridge St
51 East Pearl St.
101 Orange St
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2013, 02:10 PM

3,484 posts, read 9,416,528 times
Very different areas...what are you looking for? For example, Orange Street puts you in the heart of downtown (think hustle and bustle, the heart of the city, on Yale's doorstep, etc.) vs. somewhere like Ridge Street which is in the East Rock neighborhood. East Rock is a desirable neighborhood in the city, more quiet and residential than downtown.

What do you need or want in a rental?

Old 03-01-2013, 03:02 PM

21,722 posts, read 28,048,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by auntylinda View Post
985 QUINNIPIAC AVE
Not a fan of that area. Kinda dumpy.
76 Ridge St
Nice area, East Rock in general is beautiful, you're close to the bars/restaurants/shops on State Street, and you're convenient to East Rock park if you like hiking/outdoors.

51 East Pearl St.
You will get a lot of differing opinions on this. Fair Haven as a whole has some crime issues. Some say that vicinity is better, but I wouldn't personally live there.
101 Orange St
Excellent location if you want to be in downtown. That's in the 9th Square area, which is a recently-gentrifying area of downtown with an artsy vibe. Very conveniently located with shops, restaurants, art galleries right out your door.
My top personal picks would be Ridge and Orange. I bet they're the most expensive?

Last edited by Stylo; 03-01-2013 at 03:16 PM..

Old 03-01-2013, 04:56 PM

As far as the neighborhood, the only things I want is for it to be less than 5 miles from Yale and safe. I know some areas (Dixwell, Newhallville) are not great, but I wanted to check the others. Where I am now there are areas I would say never move to but there are areas that are alright but not awesome. I think they are safe enough, but I wouldn't live there.

Old 03-01-2013, 06:12 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,766,126 times
Orange will be your best bet; it's the closest to Yale (less than a mile). The "neighborhood" isn't really a neighborhood, as that part of Orange Street is specifically urban - I think something like 4 apartment buildings, some parking lots to buildings on Chapel Street, and a parking garage. Not the "nicest" area - doesn't have much personality. And not a place you'd want to walk around alone at 2 in the morning. But it's fine all day and well into the night, and it's close enough to the Town Hall and Courthouse that you're probably in one of the most government-protected spots in the state (the FBI building is around 6 blocks away too, heh). Biggest downside - parking. You'll either have to pay for it seperately, or be a city-bound resident and do without a car and rent when you actually need one. Unless your rent comes with an OFF-street parking space (such as in a garage or lot). If that's the case, grab it. It's worth your car's weight in gold.

Ridge Street would be your second choice - also less than 5 miles away, prettier area, moderately more upscale. Downside is it isn't in walking distance to much of anything. You'd need to drive to Yale, and parking ain't cheap.

East Pearl is reasonably acceptable, as far as neighborhoods go. But it's surrounded by less pleasant environs, and it's further away. Upside: no worries about parking as long as you're not driving a Bentley or other "please steal me" kind of vehicle Also the rent is probably much easier on the wallet - OR you're getting a bigger apartment for the same rent as the apartment on Orange.

985 Quinnipiac Ave is actually NOT in the bad section of Q Ave, comparatively. It's in a sort of no-man's land. For those who might be familiar, if you're coming from exit 8 off I-91 up Rte 80 in Foxon, and take a right onto Q Ave, it's only like 10 blocks in from there, past those two gorgeous Victorians on the right, and before you hit that hairpin turn onto Hemingway Street on the left.

There's very little crime in that section of the road, but mostly because it isn't a very interesting place for criminals. Upside: it's a nice building, very close to "civilization" but far enough away that you won't hear the ambulances turning in to Bella Vista (senior housing complex). Downside: the area is semi-dumpy, more just really blah and boring than "bad." Plus you'd have to come home either via the Grand Ave Bridge, or I-91 North to Exit 8, which is a nightmare during rush hour. I'm guessing that if you are paying around the same for all 4 apartments, this one will be the nicest and biggest inside.

Old 03-01-2013, 06:28 PM

5,234 posts, read 7,983,041 times
In addition to the comments on the areas you might want to look at the neighborhoods on the spot crime map. It may help by giving you facts on the amount and type of crime in specific areas. Good luck on your move.

New Haven Neighborhood Crime Maps, Crime Statistics and Real-Time Alerts

Old 03-01-2013, 08:39 PM

1,063 posts, read 1,362,001 times
I agree with Orange Street as well, of the four. Lived on the corner of Orange and Willow for a while. Very nice, quiet neighborhood.

Avoid Fair Haven like the plague.

Old 03-02-2013, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Csiko View Post
I agree with Orange Street as well, of the four. Lived on the corner of Orange and Willow for a while. Very nice, quiet neighborhood.

Avoid Fair Haven like the plague.
Orange and Willow is very different from Orange and Chapel. 101 Orange Street is -not- in a "residential" block of buildings. It's right behind the City Hall building.

Old 03-02-2013, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd00 View Post
In addition to the comments on the areas you might want to look at the neighborhoods on the spot crime map. It may help by giving you facts on the amount and type of crime in specific areas. Good luck on your move.

New Haven Neighborhood Crime Maps, Crime Statistics and Real-Time Alerts
I tried to check this, but you are only allowed to check the most recent month. If you want to see a longer history, you have to be a registered member.

Old 03-02-2013, 12:34 PM

Default I found a place I REALLY love in New Haven

But, I don't know anything about the neighborhood and it looks a little close to Newhallville, so I am worried. Any input on
249 Highland
New Haven, CT 06511

i
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
View detailed profiles of: