Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2013, 08:21 AM

206 posts, read 404,485 times

Advertisements

I live in Westport and I worked in Lyndhurst, NJ for two years -- 60 miles one way. The difficulty wasn't driving in in the AM, but driving home in the PM. And then there are the days like the day before Thanksgiving and Memorial Day, or any Friday in the summer, or any day the weather is wet. After two weeks of driving every day, I wound up renting a spare bedroom with kitchen privileges from a friend of a friend, for $500 a month. This made it easier to focus on the job while I was there, and made the two-hour Friday night drive home tolerable, since I only had to do it once a week.

In the strongest of terms, I do not recommend driving this every day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2013, 11:48 AM

837 posts, read 2,083,166 times
You also have to weigh in other factors: doing this commute and/or living remotely a few days a week is much easier for a bachelor/bachlorette. Assuming relations with your spouse are strong, this distant lifestyle would surely put a strain on your marriage even if it's only for a year. Then again, you may actually enjoy the time/distance apart a few days during the week.

Old 03-14-2013, 08:05 PM

13 posts, read 24,094 times
Thanks for all of those additional comments. Yes, there is an option to work at home on Friday which will help quite a bit. I do have a good relationship with my spouse and we have children so I'm aware of the strain that this will place. We'll likely hire someone to come in the morning to help my wife get the kids dressed, fed, and ready for daycare. Ridgefield seems a little far for her as she'll be driving the kids to onsite daycare at her workplace. Newtown and Southbury are where I'm looking now.

Old 03-14-2013, 10:27 PM

21,758 posts, read 28,086,032 times
Oxford is a great town in that area too.

Old 03-15-2013, 05:18 AM

21,621 posts, read 31,207,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by umagumm View Post
Newtown and Southbury are where I'm looking now.
Good choices. I would focus on Newtown, Southbury, Oxford and Middlebury as Stylo suggested. All are great, family friendly towns with good schools. One advantage Southbury and Newtown have over Oxford is access to 84. Oxford is about 5-10 minutes from the highway, depending on where you live in town.

In terms of cost, they're all fairly similar. Median value of homes:

Newtown: 483k
Oxford: 406k
Middlebury: 392k
Southbury: $339k

Last edited by kidyankee764; 03-15-2013 at 05:27 AM..

Old 03-15-2013, 07:42 AM

18,665 posts, read 19,970,287 times
OP, I assume NJ & your current employer are the same (at least) parent employer. If so, and if after a few months you discover this is too stressful, can you resort to working from NY again, quitting the NJ position, without a long-term negative impact on your NY employment? Would your wife be ok with you perhaps, as option 2, staying in NJ M-F, driving in early Monday, getting home late Friday night?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut