Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2013, 01:07 PM

7 posts, read 12,178 times

Advertisements

I currently live in Hamden (Centerville) and I am looking to buy a new home and it seems like all the homes in my budget are in the south side of Hamden (06514 area code, off of dixwell ave). Does anyone live in that area? can I get some input of what your thoughts are about the pine rock area (is it a bad area, etc.)? Mostly near pine rock park and Hamden plains cemetery. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2013, 02:21 PM

21,615 posts, read 31,180,666 times
Unfortunately I think that's the most undesirable area of Hamden. I don't know the area well, but going by the home prices, I'd probably avoid it. There are some going for under 100k.

It doesn't seem dangerous, though.

Old 05-22-2013, 03:12 PM

4,787 posts, read 11,754,293 times
Not a great area and the further north you can get from Woodin St. the better.

Old 05-22-2013, 03:21 PM

6,500 posts, read 6,033,806 times
I live in the 06514 area but a couple miles off dixwell. Its not a bad area where I live. Its right near state land and there's a golf course (laurel view)nearby to give you am idea where its at.

But it looks like you're a a ways from there. I've been around that area and it doesn't seem bad. I dont like the further south you go. The closer to New Haven, the worse it seems.

Old 05-22-2013, 06:50 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,766,126 times
The 06514 zip code comprises a whole lot of area in Hamden, so using that as a guide isn't going to be very helpful to you. But, you say you've been living in Centerville presently - have you lived in town long enough so far, to get an idea of the general areas yet? Are you looking to rent, or buy? What's your budget? Maybe some of us who live in the area can help you narrow things down a bit, or possibly even expand your search for you.

Old 05-23-2013, 06:27 AM

34,913 posts, read 56,893,272 times
I do not know Hamden particularly well, but would recommend you try and buy in the best location you can find for your budget. Even if the home needs work, you can change things in time but you cannot change location which is why there is the old saying that "the three most important things to look for in real estate are location, location and location". Jay

Old 05-23-2013, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
The 06514 zip code comprises a whole lot of area in Hamden, so using that as a guide isn't going to be very helpful to you. But, you say you've been living in Centerville presently - have you lived in town long enough so far, to get an idea of the general areas yet? Are you looking to rent, or buy? What's your budget? Maybe some of us who live in the area can help you narrow things down a bit, or possibly even expand your search for you.
They said off of Dixwell and near Pine Rock Park. That's not the best area IMO. And going by comps in the area, their budget can't be more than 200k.

Old 05-23-2013, 06:39 AM

Thanks kidyankee764! I have to agree w/you that area is not the greatest.

Old 05-23-2013, 06:48 AM

Thank you all for your comments I really appreciate it! Location is key (Thank you Jay!) that was a very good quote and good thing for me to keep in mind when looking for a home "location, location and location". Like you said I can always change things / fix things around the house but I cant change the location. I also have a teenage son so its important that I live in a good area. With that said and after doing lots of research I don't think the Pine Rock area will be the best area for me. Thanks again for all your input guys!!!

Old 05-23-2013, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecv888 View Post
Thank you all for your comments I really appreciate it! Location is key (Thank you Jay!) that was a very good quote and good thing for me to keep in mind when looking for a home "location, location and location". Like you said I can always change things / fix things around the house but I cant change the location. I also have a teenage son so its important that I live in a good area. With that said and after doing lots of research I don't think the Pine Rock area will be the best area for me. Thanks again for all your input guys!!!
Good luck. Maybe look into North Haven. You'll get a little less for your money but the town is very nice with great schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut