Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2012, 02:54 PM

12 posts, read 24,381 times

Advertisements

I was born and raised in CT. I received my CT driver's license at the age of 16. I went to college down in North Carolina and attempted to obtain North Carolina residency for tuition purposes. So, I switched my registration and driver's license to North Carolina about 1.5 years ago. This did not work and I did not get in-state tuition so now I want to switch back to my original license and registration which was CT. Note that I have graduated and moved back to CT. My permanent address has always been in CT as well. How do I do this? Will I have to take another driving test? I can't seem to find anything on the CT DMV website regarding switching license and registration back over to CT and it is taking forever to reach a live body at the DMV through telephone. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2012, 03:07 PM

13 posts, read 25,070 times
We just went through it. If you're transferring in an out of state license, you provide:
-Your out of state license
-Either your passport or birth certificate
-Social security card
-Two items with your CT address (bill, mail, lease)
-$117

We didn't have to take any tests, and we transferred our license from GA.

Old 04-12-2012, 03:09 PM

As for your registration, once you get your CT drivers license, you provide:
-Form they'll give you to fill out
-Emissions test / VIN check (cost is $20, can be done at any CT emissions check place)
-The title or registration certificate from the other state
-Proof of CT insurance
-More $$$ - we haven't gotten to this point, yet

Old 04-12-2012, 03:29 PM

Thank you Sharper, I appreciate it. Which CT DMV did you go to? and what if the car is brand new and does not need an emissions check? Also, is there anything else that can be used in replace of the social security card?

Old 04-12-2012, 03:42 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,135,783 times
When I moved back here after 15 years away in Texas, I received my old drivers license number from when I was 16. Something was comforting about that-- You can come home again

Old 04-12-2012, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
When I moved back here after 15 years away in Texas, I received my old drivers license number from when I was 16. Something was comforting about that-- You can come home again
Cool, and what did you do to get the CT license back? Was it the same process as Sharper explained?

Old 04-12-2012, 04:12 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,029,371 times
Sharper is exactly right. It's that easy. In fact, I transferred my out-of-COUNTRY (I came from Canada) license and registration just that easily, although I had to take an eye test.

When we moved from CT to MA last summer, it was also that easy.

You won't need to take a road test. It's just paperwork and money.

Old 04-12-2012, 07:21 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,135,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floss View Post
Cool, and what did you do to get the CT license back? Was it the same process as Sharper explained?
Just as everyone has described.

Old 04-12-2012, 07:49 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,948,883 times
Quote:
I was born and raised in CT. I received my CT driver's license at the age of 16. I went to college down in North Carolina and attempted to obtain North Carolina residency for tuition purposes. So, I switched my registration and driver's license to North Carolina about 1.5 years ago. This did not work and I did not get in-state tuition so now I want to switch back to my original license and registration which was CT. Note that I have graduated and moved back to CT. My permanent address has always been in CT as well. How do I do this? Will I have to take another driving test? I can't seem to find anything on the CT DMV website regarding switching license and registration back over to CT and it is taking forever to reach a live body at the DMV through telephone. Thanks.
They'll waive the written and road test as long as you have a valid license from another state.

Old 04-12-2012, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Thank you Sharper, I appreciate it. Which CT DMV did you go to? and what if the car is brand new and does not need an emissions check? Also, is there anything else that can be used in replace of the social security card?
You'll have to go to a location that supports out-of-state transfers. We went to Wethersfield. Apparently it needs to be a "hub" location. They are listed here.

If it's registered in another state, and it's too new for an emissions test (2010 or newer model year), you'll need to get a VIN check - which most "full hub" locations can do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut