Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-26-2007, 07:38 PM

69 posts, read 184,207 times

Advertisements

My partner and I were driving through the western part of CT this past Thanksgiving and drove through Kent. We didn't have time to stop in town, but thought the shops looked very nice. We got a very good vibe from Kent and thought it was beautiful. We are hoping to relocate to CT at some point and would like the inside scoop about Kent. Here are some questions:

What are the housing prices like?
Taxes?
Services?
Healthcare?
Culture?
Gay friendly?
Summer tourists?

The area seems to offer a lot of outdoor activity and nature, which we love, but we don't want to feel isolated. We are looking for a friendly welcoming community where neighbors say hello and look out for another, and there are community activities to get involved in. (not religious)

Thanks in advance for replies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2007, 04:35 AM

4,462 posts, read 8,028,636 times
The effective mill rate in Kent is 17.58- median home price and how that would equate to taxes-perhaps one of our Realtor members could perhaps provide information.

The towns Main St. -route 7 has 2 banks, a public library, a few good restaurants, an IGA CO-OP, plus another specialty Market. The Hopkins winery is 5.5 miles away. There is one independently owned Pharmacy. There are several art galleries, glass blowing studio's and Bed & breakfasts/Country Inns. There are some filling stations and auto repair shops.

Kent has become primarily an artists colony and haven, A small tourist center in far western CT-Litchfield county. Services except those described above will be limited. The local countryside is very attractive, and water activities take place along the Housatonic river.

More services would be just to the south on route 7- around 13 miles away in New Milford. Danbury would offer much more-an additional 13 miles south of New Milford.

New Milford has the New Milford Hospital, while Danbury has the Danbury Hospital.

The town is gay friendly- as is Salisbury also in western CT.

Last edited by skytrekker; 11-27-2007 at 04:44 AM..

Old 11-28-2007, 08:42 AM

148 posts, read 739,363 times
Sharon Hospital is also close by. I don't know about the whole "neighbors looking out for each other" thing though...only because there aren't many neighborhoods in Kent. As you may have noticed...those homes that you can see from the road aren't too close to each other. I'm sure in the center of town people may stop and chat with each other and stuff, but as with the whole CT "vibe", people likely will keep to themselves. Kent along with most of the rest of Litchfield County is a NYC weekend getaway so that may be another reason people may not be "neighborly". But hey, you never know! Good luck and hopefully you'll make the move! Kent is overall a great town!

Old 11-28-2007, 05:05 PM

240 posts, read 1,372,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CateP View Post
My partner and I were driving through the western part of CT this past Thanksgiving and drove through Kent. We didn't have time to stop in town, but thought the shops looked very nice. We got a very good vibe from Kent and thought it was beautiful. We are hoping to relocate to CT at some point and would like the inside scoop about Kent. Here are some questions:

What are the housing prices like?
Taxes?
Services?
Healthcare?
Culture?
Gay friendly?
Summer tourists?

The area seems to offer a lot of outdoor activity and nature, which we love, but we don't want to feel isolated. We are looking for a friendly welcoming community where neighbors say hello and look out for another, and there are community activities to get involved in. (not religious)

Thanks in advance for replies.
Well you read the "google" info report , now you get a local resident. I live 11.4 miles from the center of Kent and previously lived in the center of Kent for nearly two years.. Yes, it sure is a terrific little town, isnt it? Two nice state parks-Macedonia and Kent falls offer hiking/picnicing. Hunting opportunities are plentiful. I'll try and balance elaborating as much as possible without being too longwinded. I'm not sure about community activities..me and the wife are hardcore bikers and most our time spent recreating was riding our butts off on great New England roads..
Housing- You would be challenged to find a single family home for under $450,000. Kent has some amazing estates and is home to many celebrities and famous people like Henry Kissinger, clothing designer Oscar De LaRenta. Kent does not have the all too familiar cookie cutter developments except just off South Elizabeth St. near the school.
Taxes- the mill rate is correct as someone previously quoted from Google.
Services - Well, what you were able to see from Rt. 7 as you drove thru town is what you get. Just north of the RR tracks there is a service road which takes you to a very tidy shopping center (IGA-Town Hall-various stores). At the jct of 7 and 341 EAST is a fairly brand new outlet place which has become a destination for out-of-towners.
Healthcare- None. A few private doctors have offices, however hospital care would be 16 miles south in New Milford and north in Sharon Ct.
Culture? Hmmmm, K I'll lay it right out there. Today Kent is an artsy/trendy little getaway. However "post summer" residents and weekenders Kent has roughly 850 fulltime hardworking- descent folk residents. Carpenters, electricians, plumbers, farmers, loggers and estate caretakers to name a few. Less than 3/4 mile North, east and west of town center and you are in VERY rural locations. Quiet, peaceful country home to many species of wildlife including black bear, coyote, bobcat..
gay friendly- most of Litchfield county could fit that description, including Kent.
Summer tourist? Kent is rougly only 40% fulltime residency. Same as surrounding towns like Warren and all four Cornwalls. Weekends in Kent at the town center are quite busy..however tolerable.
Brief summary- Kent is a self sufficient town for the most part, however tied strongly to New Milford to the south as a "cultural" hub. Kent is truly a peaceful getaway for many, and a rural country living community for the fulltimers. There are still many families who have resided in the area for generations. I often suggest an extended visit to the area. There are several realtors with offices right in town, and there are a handful of B&B's in the area..

Old 11-29-2007, 08:24 AM

69 posts, read 184,207 times
Default Thank You

Thank You Tom etal.
I was hoping a local person could chime in. I grew up in Simsbury and my grandparents lived in Litchfield so I have a sense of the area from a childhood perspective. Currently my partner and I live on Jersey shore and it sure is crowded (getting more so). Kent is less than 3 hours from our NJ house and it seems like a reasonable ride for a get-away destination. We are planning to invest in an area we will eventually retire to, hence the healthcare questions.
From a real estate perspective, we are looking for something small since there are only two of us. Ideally we would like to use local builders to renovate a "shack" on decent land. Our plan is long range (2-5 years out) so there may be changes in the housing prices. (including the equity we have here in NJ).

We plan on spending time in Kent to get a better sense of the area, but the 'artsy" aspect of the town is very cool. (I am a creative type). My partner is a gourmet cook. I love the fact that people respect space and privacy, but also that there is a town center should you wish to interact. I am a New Englander and my partner is a true Jersey girl so I worry more about her adapting than I. (she likes to talk to everyone and get to know them by name-sales background).

We were looking at the southeast corner of CT for several reasons, but were kinda turned away because of the distance from the NJ shore. 95 is a nightmare!! All the stress comes back the moment you hit the road. Defeats the purpose in my mind.

Anyway, thanks again for the inside scoop on Kent. Glad to know it's okay to be weekend get-away people from the madness of NY/NJ
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut