Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2014, 08:28 AM

175 posts, read 345,633 times

Advertisements

Hi All. Recently moved to Greenwich CT and was wondering how often there are blackouts? Is it worth it buying a generator?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2014, 09:06 AM

302 posts, read 296,036 times
I'll give you my two cents.

I just moved to CT this past year. I spoke with my neighbor and asked him about getting a generator. He said, we rarely get blackouts, but during Sandy and the blizzard, our section of the subdivision was out for 6 days and 7 days.

He said most blackouts were the normal "couple hours" beyond that.

I'd speak with your neighbors and get their input. They have lived in your area and know what to expect. One part of town may experience very different things then others.

Just to let you know what I did. I had planned on getting a generator anyway (I have two young kids and don't want to be without heat, etc...), but since I found out that blackouts were rare (I've been there almost a year now and still have not experienced one) I got a portable generator as opposed to a standby generator and saved a few thousand. I had an electrician wire up the transfer switch in my panel and put a plug outlet on the outside of my house. I bought a 7500kw Generac portable generator and a 50 foot cable. Now I'm prepared, but not out a ton of cash.

Old 02-04-2014, 09:25 AM

468 posts, read 709,092 times
It depends on where you live and what your circumstances are. Ask your neighbors what it was like the last few years with the storms we've had. I have friends and family in FFC who were out for a week or so twice in the last couple of years. This will vary a lot by neighborhood, though--Greenwich has areas that are very rural and areas that are pretty dense, and so line repair (I assume) varies depending on where you live.

Also, consider whether your house has wood-burning fireplaces, a wood stove, gas range, etc.--all of which can obviously be used to heat your house and cook even in a blackout. If I didn't have those options, I'd definitely want a generator. We had a blizzard last year that left people without heat for days and days, but if you had enough fireplaces or a wood stove you'd have been okay.

As you probably know, generators run the gamut in terms of cost and coverage. My parents spec'd a whole-house generator after the last few years and were quoted about $40,000 for one that could handle a 4,000sf house. You can also get a relatively inexpensive generator like relatives of mine have just to run a few circuits--they used that to keep their fridge cold and some lights on and it helped immensely.

Old 02-04-2014, 09:31 AM

2,668 posts, read 4,498,864 times
I bought one in 2012 after Sandy. Luckily I went to the local hardware store the morning after and they had a tractor trailer full on pallets. They were only accepting cash which I always have on hand (emergency fund). I ended up buying one for my brother as well since he could not find one anywhere, the box stores were sold out.

It was a great investment, cost just under $500 and was able to keep my fridge cool, some lights on, the cell phones charged, the TV/DVD player going, etc. I have a smaller unit, Generac GP3250 but it does everything I need it to. If your looking to power your whole house or have it plug into a second panel on the home I would go a little bigger like a 5000 watt unit. But we were without power for 4 days and you change your habits a bit but it was nice to come home to lights, TV, and fresh food while others were sitting at shelters or charging stations. We became a shelter for some of our family which we didn't mind.

I keep it stored in the garage ready to be fueled and fired up at a moments notice.

Old 02-04-2014, 09:34 AM

4,716 posts, read 5,962,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grecostimpy View Post
I'll give you my two cents.

I just moved to CT this past year. I spoke with my neighbor and asked him about getting a generator. He said, we rarely get blackouts, but during Sandy and the blizzard, our section of the subdivision was out for 6 days and 7 days.

He said most blackouts were the normal "couple hours" beyond that.

I'd speak with your neighbors and get their input. They have lived in your area and know what to expect. One part of town may experience very different things then others.

Just to let you know what I did. I had planned on getting a generator anyway (I have two young kids and don't want to be without heat, etc...), but since I found out that blackouts were rare (I've been there almost a year now and still have not experienced one) I got a portable generator as opposed to a standby generator and saved a few thousand. I had an electrician wire up the transfer switch in my panel and put a plug outlet on the outside of my house. I bought a 7500kw Generac portable generator and a 50 foot cable. Now I'm prepared, but not out a ton of cash.
Good advice. The neighbors will know much better than people on a messageboard on the internet.

Until the storms of 2011 (tropical storm & Halloween blizzard) and 2012 (Hurricane Sandy) and the Feb 2013 blizzard, I don't recall any extended power outages in CT in well over a decade. Heck, I don't remember anything major until 2011 since I moved out of my parent's home in the early 90s, almost 20 years. The biggest was that East Coast power outage in 2004 or 2005, and that was only for an afternoon.

Old 02-04-2014, 09:49 AM

163 posts, read 240,685 times
We were without power for 11-12 days after that October storm, but that was unusual. A few hours is the norm. 1-2 days is even unusual, but it does happen.

We also have the transfer switch hooked up to our electric panel so that we can run a portable. I don't think a full house generator is necessary unless there are medical issues, or you have $$ burning a hole in your pocket.

Old 02-04-2014, 10:03 AM

2,668 posts, read 4,498,864 times
I'll also add we lived in East Haven and never lost power except for that one storm. I know live in Wally World where the power is mythically believed to never go out. It did once since we moved here but it was for literally an hour. By the time I called the utility they already had a truck at the scene.

Old 02-04-2014, 02:33 PM

21,626 posts, read 31,221,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchrider View Post
I'll also add we lived in East Haven and never lost power except for that one storm. I know live in Wally World where the power is mythically believed to never go out. It did once since we moved here but it was for literally an hour. By the time I called the utility they already had a truck at the scene.
Where's "Wally World?"

Old 02-04-2014, 03:17 PM

3,435 posts, read 3,947,273 times
Are you on a well? If the answer is yes you should strongly consider it. With a well, no electricity means no water.

I've had a standby generator since 2012 and it paid for itself during Sandy. It provides tremendous piece of mind.

Old 02-04-2014, 03:53 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,799,372 times
Please have a licensed electrician install a transfer switch and learn how to use it. If you accidently energize the line workmen can get killed. Also never run the generator inside or too close to the structure. Even low doses of Carbon Monoxide can be very dangerous or sometimes fatal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut