Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2014, 05:48 AM

29 posts, read 39,022 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I'm moving to CT in September to start working on the 1st of October. How long do you think it will take to find a place and move in?
I am allowed to come in the US 10 days before my contract starts. If I book a hotel room for these 10 days, do you think I'll have time to find a place and do the paperwork and finally move in before starting working?

Other question: what kind of conditions real estate agents have to accept a tenant?

Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2014, 07:49 AM

3,484 posts, read 9,418,675 times
I seriously doubt 10 days is enough time to look at different rentals, do the paperwork, and get moved in. I think a month would be doable as long as you were focused and ready to look as soon as you get to CT.

Old 03-18-2014, 07:52 AM

2,856 posts, read 10,431,329 times
If you are looking for a rental, finding one and moving in within 10 days may be cutting it close. Generally speaking I would think most rentals come up for rent about 1-2 months before they are ready to be moved in to. You may be able to find something. What are are you looking into and what is your budget?

Typically landlords require a credit check, proof of employment and background check. Usually you have to pay first months rent and one month security. I would start looking through realtor.com and craigslist.

Old 03-18-2014, 08:07 AM

Thanks.

I'll be looking for a 2 bedroom apartment in Danbury or Norwalk for a $1800 budget. I'll have some free time before moving to the US so I'll make sure to shortlist some places we want to see.

I can't really imagine spending a month in a hotel room, my wife being pregnant. I might need to find a short term rental online, do you think this is realistic?

Old 03-18-2014, 08:27 AM

34,918 posts, read 56,918,061 times
Why not come early and line up a place a month before you actually move here? Jay

Old 03-18-2014, 08:32 AM

Because a return ticket from Paris is not that cheap. I need to think about it, it could save me some money in the end.

Old 03-18-2014, 08:56 AM

5,989 posts, read 6,777,868 times
I don't know about prices in that area, but it is possible to find a place that late in the month. Plan on having two months deposit and the first month's rent ready - two months is the max deposit allowed by law. Landlords love it when you say, "I can give you a check now for two month's deposit and the first month's rent." Get a letter from your employer now stating that you are hired, and how much you will be paid. If I had someone coming from abroad, who had that letter of employment (and I would want to be able to call human resources at the company to make sure that everything was correct), and the two month's deposit and first month's rent ready to go, that's all that I would require. I wouldn't bother with background and credit since you have no record here in the US. Start getting an idea about how much rentals go for by looking at Craigslist. And you will need to plan to rent a car when you get here, to drive around to look at the rentals. As a backup, find a Residence Inn type hotel to go into for the first ten days, so that you can continue there by the week if necessary until you actually get into the rental.

Old 03-18-2014, 10:31 AM

241 posts, read 543,329 times
One possibility is to rent at a large apartment complex and arrange it sight unseen. This obviously (!) isn't ideal but if you can find a large reputable rental company that manages a lot of apartments it is doable and means that you can move in on arrival. If you hate it on sight, then expect to forfeit the security deposit, go to a motel and start looking again.

I did this in two long distance moves. I rented with a very large company, scrutinized the floorplan online and looked at reviews of the place. I then did all the paperwork by fax/scan. Obviously visiting in person is much preferable, but not always possible. I had very quick turnaround before working (less than the 10 days you mention). It worked out fine for me, though I would not do this with a small company (which blocks out a lot of the options in Connecticut).

Whatever you decide, welcome and good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut